[02x01] May 11th, 2009

[02x01] May 11th, 2009

• Total voters
Well I made the gif.

:p

That was a fantastic start. James fit in well, all of the segments were great (Fantastic guest helps) and it feels a lot less forced. Also they are starting to work out how to film a car around their track. Just need one shot now which better demonstrates the fastest corner of the track (Similar to the tire bundle on the follow through in TGUK).

A little OT: Im in Sydney right now and will be for the next few weeks. Where can I get TGA studio tickets? and how much would that set me back? :) I mean if they're not yet done filming. If they are, I just wanted to know where so that I could grab a few for next season :)

There are not taking rquests for any more tickets at the moment. When tickets are available, they are free.

Meh, I gave it a 7. It was better than most TG.Au's, but still wasn't great. The race especially was rather boring. So slow and kinda rigged (i.e. the truck).

I gave it an 8, although in hindsight, it probably only deserves a 6 or so. I didn't see the point of having a Lamborghini if the highest speed he could do was 70kph. Such a car might be of use in a Top Gear race across Europe with the derestricted autobahns, etc, but absolutely pointless in urban Melbourne. He didn't even attempt to review it.

The whole episode was a bit boring, although they seem to be on the right track now with the editing and pace of their segments. In a rarity for any Top Gear episode, the SIARPC was the most enjoyable piece, and you could really see just how hard Skaifey was flogging that Proton around the track.

Warren's face was hilarious when it happened.

hehe, I dont think he quite realised just how much of a bang that would've made...:p

Last edited:
Well I made the gif.

:p

haha that is awesome man, i laughed so hard when i saw them do that......cause come on that part of the show was kinda bad last season :lol:

a bit late commenting... but oh well.

As one of those Americans who just didn't get the whole Charlie Hate thing, I was forced to admit that Warren did a much better job during the Star in a Bog Standard Car... on his first try... than Charlie did all of Season 1. The whole sequence felt... much more natural.

I was a little disappointed to see the What were they thinking board go, but what a way for it to go.

The addition of James Morrison was interesting... and not just because Jeremy Clarkson's rebooted Top Gear also introduced a James M in it's second season... It was also interesting to me because as the whole 3 blokes enjoying cars ... thing... that really drives Top Gear seemed to be more apparent. Okay, it's just one episode, and one where commercial interrupts really don't help an Epic-flow feeling... but Steve, Warren, and James seemed to work better together.

Oh, and the whole "you guys are going to be walking like COWBOYS" line from Steve. Had me in stitches.

Something I just noticed, '[02x01] May 11th, 2003' of the UK version and '[02x01] May 11th, 2009' for the Aussie one. How could that not be a coincidence?

I forgot TGAU was on :p But I managed to watch it some place and I enjoyed it. 7/10. Good start.

It was delivered much more in the style TG should be done in.

And Wazza did an excellent job of interviewing Skaifey. Nicely done :)

Looking forward to the rest of the series. Hopefully they don't go over the top.

not bad at all.

I gave it an 8 out of 10.

The show was very much improved over season one.

Two good things and one bad thing stood out to me about this episode.
I loved the walk through of the track. I liked it much more then the walk through of the UK course. The aussie version was turn by turn in order, versus the UKs version in episode one as I'm sure you all remember was out of order. You didn't get a sense of the flow of the track and how to position the car for the next turn.
Steve's description was easy to understand and informative. I understand the TGA track a lot more now.

I also felt Warren's interviews were much better. Now I am probably one of the few people who liked Charlie Cox. I feel however he would have been much more suited to Warren's role in the first series. Warren seams to be very comfortable doing interviews, he asks the right questions and makes the interviewee shine.
I can't say anything about James and look forward to seeing him in future episodes. I enjoyed his review of the Evo X.

The race was cool, but I didn't get the sense of tension like I have in previous Top Gear races. This is something they can work on and I have faith in them.

I would have liked to see a preview of the coming season, but I guess they only have so much time.

Do I sound to positive? I don't care. I'd like to see TGA shine, and eventually see and American Top Gear come to live. And in my deepest hopes be a host of the Top Gear America. But that's not likely.

I thought S02E01 was about 3 guys talking about cars and cocking about, what a concept. I enjoyed the show for the first time.
Congratulations Australia, you got your Top Gear :)

8/10

Not a single full bore acceleration of the Murcielago, SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?

I've tried to enjoy tg aus, but boyit so boring, so technical, so un-topgear. Too much technical detail and no entertainment!

it Australia, TGAU would get fined by the government and all the god damn anti-hoon driving campaigners would have a field day

Do they confiscate the cars in Victoria though?

I know over here they've been talking about getting them crushed. Those poor cars.

Do they confiscate the cars in Victoria though?
Yep. 48 Hours for a first offence (I think you have to go >50kph over the limit, if you're a p plater that lowers to 1kph :p), a week for the second and then three months for a third. Cube'd car follows. Tip - speed in a Nissan Cube (is that actually possible?).

I think a few people have made the third strike, but I don't think we've crushed a car yet. I wrote an essay on the topic last year which had a bunch of stats, I'll have a look for it.