[02x02] July 31st, 2011

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Stay on-topic please. :)

I actually liked the different way of doing SIARC but they should have shown more of the actual laps.

I actually liked the different way of doing SIARC but they should have shown more of the actual laps.

I agree and it seemed like they did a 20 second lap, but I guess with 2 stars and how kinda boring it can be...

SIARC felt rushed, but I been watching alot of Pawn Stars lately and wow I did not realize how much money they are rolling in.

I was actually a bit let down by this one.

-Tray sliding was one of the funniest things, liked that.
-For some reason, I just didn't like Rutledge "cheating" in the steering contest, mainly because they didn't know. I know it's virtually a tradition for Top Gear hosts to, er, "cut corners" or cheat, but it's usually in the name of humor and messing around with the other guys. I'm sure I'm alone in this, just found that quite low.
-High school kids looking the exact same as the presenters LOL that was great. The challenge though was eh. Not great, not bad.
-Crash test was okay. I might have liked it better had them done them individually though.

As to the Corvette/Ferrari reviews, I thought it was focused too much on speed. They briefly talked about a few things in the intro, then just went to the drag race. I also think Tanner did a poor job representing the 458. At least Adam manned up about the interior of the vette.

I did NOT like the format of the guest interviews. I don't know if they're going for something different, but I just don't like it. First off, I like to see their own reactions to seeing their lap. Second, the editing felt incredibly choppy and there wasn't much flow to me. I'm actually a fan of the Pawn Stars, but if I wasn't I would have hated that interview. At least they did talk about cars.

Last thing. They replay too much after commercials. We don't need you wasting ninety seconds of the already crunched 42 min telling us something we already know. Those need to be much shorter.

All in all, it was okay. The cinematography has definitely picked up and into that TG style, but I just found all parts of the show lacking. I'd go 6/10.

SIARC felt rushed, but I been watching alot of Pawn Stars lately and wow I did not realize how much money they are rolling in.

Same here, but it's due to the TV show not the shop. I mean no way is Rick is paying Chumlee enough for that. :lol:

Last thing. They replay too much after commercials. We don't need you wasting ninety seconds of the already crunched 42 min telling us something we already know. Those need to be much shorter.

Agreed.

Last edited:

I expect they do so for channel surfers to try and keep them from moving on.

All-in-all, I found this episode to be slightly more entertaining than Top Gear UK's series finale.

I gave it an 8, just because it exceeded my expectations, which have been rather low. I liked the first cars segment, although as I mentioned in the other thread, there is no way Adam Ferrara's first car was a hand me down 1987 Dodge, considering he was born in 1966. I suspect the writers got a bit lazy when writing the script, or he was still in high school during his early 20's. I liked the Corvette/Ferrari segment, and even the SIARPC was watchable. The show is still a bit rough around the edges, like the shaky cameras in the studio filmed bits, but it's getting better.

My only thought: sad to say, their guys managed to rig up that crash better than the guys over on Mythbusters. I swear, I've *never* seen one of their crashes end up as coordinated as this was.

I gave it an 8, just because it exceeded my expectations, which have been rather low. I liked the first cars segment, although as I mentioned in the other thread, there is no way Adam Ferrara's first car was a hand me down 1987 Dodge, considering he was born in 1966. I suspect the writers got a bit lazy when writing the script, or he was still in high school during his early 20's. I liked the Corvette/Ferrari segment, and even the SIARPC was watchable. The show is still a bit rough around the edges, like the shaky cameras in the studio filmed bits, but it's getting better.

Ferrara was brought up in the New York City area. Some people there never get a car or even a driver's license. It's not uncommon for New Yorkers to get their first car in their 30s.

Ferrara was brought up in the New York City area. Some people there never get a car or even a driver's license. It's not uncommon for New Yorkers to get their first car in their 30s.

That occurred to me, since I was raised in the Philly area, where my city friends didn't have or need cars, but he said in the segment he grew up in Long Island, where you would need a car, as opposed to Manhattan. They also introduced the segment saying that all three got their first cars in high school. Like I said, it was probably just a screw up with the writers not really paying attention.

Really enjoying this current season. They're doing a great job differentiating themselves from the original series plus they've fixed some of the stuff that didn't work too well in the first season. I always felt their in studio segments were a bit rough and awkward but they got rid of a lot it and basically jump straight into the prerecorded segments. They're doing a good job connecting with their American audience as well. I mean 17 series of TG have talked about cars for youths but something about TGUSA's first car in high school segment as well as last episodes truck alternatives seemed uniquely America. Good stuff and I hope it continues

Last edited:
The interviews need to be less interrogation and more conversation.

Was anyone else shocked that Chumlee has a Maserati Gran Turismo and a Range Rover?

Yeah. :lol: TV money baby!

this one was right back to season 1 quality to me. 5/10. Loved the tray spinning but i didnt laugh again until Adam threw the bumper into the back of the VW. just not impressed this time.

For what it's worth I was very disappointed with 02x01 but I thought this was a very good episode, certainly a little rough around the edges but it's only the beginning of the second season so that's understandable. Nothing in particular stood out but as a package it was entertaining. I'm confident now that this show will be great if it's given enough time. They did kind of gloss over the reviews, although none of these guys are used to doing them yet so I imagine they'll get better at that.

One thing that killed me is that they got the crash speed wrong. That's a major pet peeve of mine. There's no such thing as a "combined crash speed," anyone familiar with basic Newtonian physics ought to know that a 25 mph collision doesn't magically become a 50 mph one. Equal and opposite reactions and whatnot.

That CRX was a horror show! Tanner looked pretty distraught after that, hard to say if he had been growing attached to the car or he just came to the realization that he spent most of his youth in a death trap :lol:

Last edited:
Am I the only one who was a bit disappointed to see a rare VW caddy destroyed just for a few laughs?

Gonna type this as I watch... Still hate the new song. REALLY hate the "titles" for each presenter. The only presenter I enjoy is Tanner. I really had high hopes after the Alaska episode last season but both episodes this season have been huge disappointments. The outside studio sucks. The voiceover transitions are terrible. The crashing into each other every single episode was played out way before the TG:US even started. Don't like the previews at every commercial... we already know what is coming up from the show intro. Absolutely LOVED the Stig hopping out of the plane... fun way to introduce him that's different than the UK series. Rutledge announcing the laps... awful. Interview was very stiff and too short. All in all I think they were better off with last season's format. Honestly Tanner is the only one who has any business being on television... Please get rid of the other two!

Was anyone else shocked that Chumlee has a Maserati Gran Turismo and a Range Rover?

Oddly enough, no. I figured Pawn Stars had to be paying them well. That said, he definitely chose better than Rick (IMO)! :nod:

Anyway. They did better this time, not go back to (the outside of) the studio after commercials, just going back to the film. :thumbsup: And yeah, either Tanner was supremely bummed about killing his car, or it was the realization that his first car was a death trap that made him cringe.

As for the review, I wish they'd talked more about the cars themselves. Although the "relevant" information was included (price, top speed, 0-60, brake-horsepower, size of engine), they could've done a little more, methinks.

Lastly: Parachuting Stig. I liked. Heh.