[02x02] July 31st, 2011

[02x02] July 31st, 2011

• Total voters
Initial_B is right, we need to keep this to Top Gear. So, with brevity in mind I say unto you Drummin, screw you, you know nothing about me. No, I didn't vote for Obama, being a Republican and all (did you not notice I'm from Kansas, one of the most conservative states in the union?) but any American who seriously thinks any single President regardless of party can somehow undo 200+ years of democracy is a pretty piss poor American. THAT was my point, and I tried to make it humorously. Now, if you want to continue this do it with PMs, but I advise you to do a little more research before showing your ignorance again.

"Steal a script from the UK"? Really? After so many ripped TGUS apart for copying TGUK last season? This is your idea? Sorry, but no. Season 1 ended strong, season 2 started strong and got much stronger with this episode. I honestly feel that episode 2 was as strong as anything TGUK has done, especially recently. The dream first car was right on for me. As I said in an earlier post, my dream first car was a toss up between the Countach and the soon-to-be-produced Viper, so the Vette vs Ferrari was spot on. Replaying the shots just felt like Hong Kong cinema, the latest craze to sweep Hollywood that isn't a diet or hairstyle.

"it is clear the producers are more interested in capitalizing off the franchise and pumping in sponsors over making a quality show." Obviously, I disagree with you about the quality, but I agree that they want to capitalize and bring in sponsors. Oddly, its the same thing that EVERY TV show wants to do. And how do they do this? By making a show that draws in the most viewers possible (aka a quality show).

"Steal a script from the UK"? Really? After so many ripped TGUS apart for copying TGUK last season?

It wasn't that they coppied TGUK. It was that the copy was horrible. It wasn't even as good as the original. Out of all the copies only the bit with Tanner going down the mountain in the snow driving the EVO was close.

I can't buy it that reasoning at all. Whether they copy TGUK or not, TGUS will get villified, 'quality' of the copy won't matter. I think its to TGUS' credit that they have started blazing their own trail instead of just copying the stuff we've all seen before. At least by doing things their own way they get judged on their own merits.

Hopefully TGAustralia can learn some lessons from this; the very, very brief series 3 they produced looked pretty damn good to me.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, better than a lot of the recent TGUK shows anyways.

Some of the first car segments were hillarious.
I hate Chevy and Ferrari but that segment was still done well, and worth watching.
Skipped BSSC like usual, they need to cut that and ad a proper news segment imo.

The fact its 45 minutes is killing it but they are doing a good job regardless.

I know, the rest of the world thinks Americans are arrogant, and to be fair, f*** you.

I laughed pretty hard.

Enjoyed, laughed several times, nice cinematography, especially in the reviews. We used to own an Aries, ah the memories.

Since pretty much all vehicles produced by Chrysler in the 80s were built on the K car platform, almost any Chrysler owner of the time drove an Aries! :)

Not voting, but I enjoyed the episode. Stop thinking it's TGUK and it's an entertaining show, who cares if they do things differently, it's not TGUK and they shouldn't be expected to copy everything they do to the T.

That was a nice caddy, They're getting expensive now too.

Am I the only one who was a bit disappointed to see a rare VW caddy destroyed just for a few laughs?

Rare VW? F***, they destroyed a near-stock CRX!! You can't find a stock CRX anymore!!

I can't buy it that reasoning at all. Whether they copy TGUK or not, TGUS will get villified, 'quality' of the copy won't matter. I think its to TGUS' credit that they have started blazing their own trail instead of just copying the stuff we've all seen before. At least by doing things their own way they get judged on their own merits.

The thing i'm seeing is that whether or not you try your darndest to not "copy" the original, your gonna end up eventually "copying" the original.

Last edited:
The thing i'm seeing is that whether or not you try your darndest to not "copy" the original, your gonna end up eventually "copying" the original.

By copying, I mean literally copying (for example, series 1 episode 5 was a dead ringer for TGUK series 10 episode 7; they just substituted GM cars for British Leyland cars), not simply using similar themes (SIARPC, cheap car challenges, etc). Sure, many or most viewers may not be aware that this was already done years ago on a different show with the same name in another country, but all of the fans know. Worst of all, its just lazy production, surely they can do better. But you are right, there is going to be some copying especially in the general layout of the show.

But the show is best when they do things that are unique, for example the Used car salesman episode, or especially this episode right here. What were the Brit's first cars? They've never explored it on TGUK. And they've never tried to be used car salesman (and wouldn't it just be so friggin' awesome to see Clarkson try to sell a used car?! :lol: ). These ideas are all new and very fresh; I'd be willing to bet that TGUK might even try some of them out eventually (anything would be better than series 16 episode 4, when all of them bought the same car and they were reduced to CSI inanities to fill the segment. Uh!)

Also, I see a lot of people lamenting the CRX and the VW, but will no one stand up and lament the passing of the Maverick? :p

I do too, for the simple fact that those were cars I know and like (well, except for the Buick). Who doesn't like the GTO? And when I was in my early teens, the Fiero was just as likely to cause me to get an erection as Carol Hovenkamp, one of the cheerleaders who developed early. To be fair, at that age, nearly anything could cause that... :lol:

Please don't ban me! :(

come on...

DO you really think a vette is faster round a track than a 458? REALLY???

come on...

DO you really think a vette is faster round a track than a 458? REALLY???
Sure, why not? The ZR1 has a big power advantage, but it doesn't have that dual clutch auto. When TGUK sent both around the track, the Corvette was in the wet while the Ferrari was in the dry, but in the end the Ferrari was only about a second faster.

DO you really think a vette is faster round a track than a 458?

In the hands of you or I, I'd be willing to give the nod to the Ferrari, simply because its probably easier to drive fast. But in the hands of an expert driver who knows the track, I'd give it to the ZR1. I think the segment actually dealt with that issue, blaming Adam for the 'Vette's poor showing in the drag race.

Last edited:
Why should American know the Stig after only 12 shows when the Brits still need a Stig introduction every show after, what SEVENTEEN TWELVE SEASONS?

Stigtros ("Some say..."), as I like to call them, didn't start until UK Series 6. And anyway, they're all about building the Stig mystique/character up (also notice the quips Jeremy gives about him as he does the lap). We Yanks are more straight-forward in this regard. I think the parachuting thing was kind of superhero-ish or something like that.

Last edited:
Just watched it, and again I give it an 8. I almost gave it a 9, as I always wanted to see TGUK do a first cars challenge like this. I honestly cannot believe how much this show has improved in one season. Last year was completely unwatchable at times, but this year so far has been quite good. I for one love that they are copying TGUK. The new bits are good, and quite American. Hope this pace keeps up.

Adam had the two funniest lines ever:

I know, the rest of the world thinks Americans are arrogant, and to be fair, f*** you.

AND

That's class, with a K!

I took a lot of heat last year or saying he was the best presenter, but I still stand by that. But all three continue to improve.