[02x02] May 18th, 2009

[02x02] May 18th, 2009

• Total voters

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
So, what'd you all think of this weeks ep?

I found it a bit mediocre compared to last week, with the only really enjoyable bit being the test of the awesome supercharged Clubsport.

Last edited:
It was a good episode.

I liked Steve being really ambitious but ended up rubbish
I loved that supercharger
Couldnt really care for the interview or the reverse thing

I thought Ian Moss was boring tbh, he didnt seem very excited or interested in the interview

The superclubby was great, man i love that sound

Ad segment was stupid, cut it and do the news

Electric cars - not bad, woulda been more interesting if steves actually worked. also damn Warren for getting that damn ad stuck in my head again.

Football, meat pies, kangaroos and electric cars.

overall not as fun as last week, however next weeks looks promising

they seam to be too politically correct now, Jeremy just would have said balls and or it was shithouse, though cant complain, as i was in this episode! in the Jabiru lining up for take of on runway 10, behind the red HSV with the 20 inch rims!

I gave last week a 9, and this week was better; but still a 9. But all round I was thoroughly entertained :D

I would still like to see Aurion v Commo v Falcon v 380. Not to start any brand wars, but it would be nice if the other Australian made products got some exposure.

Last edited:
I thought last weeks episode was better. They really need to make sure things get fixed if they break down. It ruins the segment otherwise. The same thing happened with one of the cars in the bush-bashing challenge last year.

I really liked the Stig's lap in the Model-T Ford. I can't belive it couldn't even beat a Hummer stretch-limousine.

my personal cringe factor meter, where 0 is sublime (UK topgear) and 10 was charlie cox trying to be dinki di, was hovering at about a 2. Thoroughly enjoyed this episode as it was interesting. Electric cars, with all the batteries in the back of the kingswood, did anyone notice the windows were down? That many batteries at such high drain would of produced a heck of a lot of hydrogen gas, electric shock may of been the least of warrens worries...
and i like that, it means they are doing things first, then thinking about them later! Electric shock? she'll be right, just drive slower! Hydrogen gas? wind the windows down! thats the way to do it! Political correctness? thats only for studio days, let them have that.

Other things; Ian Moss was mono-syllabic and boring, but the in studio stunts more then made up for the fact they dont do the news. Actually, I think that is a good thing, because that is very UK Topgear, and if you dont pull it off (like they did in season 1) the cringe factor goes up to 7.

A good watch, and am looking forward to next weeks episode.

I thought the SIABSC was a bit monotone and the ad segment pointless, but only if you're over 25.
I like that Superclubby, but would still go for the normal Clubby.
The Electric cars segment was good at the start, but felt a bit lacklustre at the end since one car only worked. (Captain Thunderpants :lol:)
The reverse parking thing was quite quick, but good but pointless in a way.

Overall a 7 from me.

The Superclubby review was interesting and informative, although I noted what seemed like a teensy weensy bit of product placement when Pizzati mentioned that the difference between the standard Clubby and the Superclubby was 'a Golf GTI engine'.

The Model T bit was pretty cool, and The Stig's hot lap in the Model T made me ROFL.

The electric car challenge was pretty good, I like how you got to see the construction. I also like how Pizzati managed to bring the 'ambitious but rubbish' spirit into that challenge. ;)

SIABSC was a bit of a fizzer, but it wasn't for want of trying on Wazza's part. I think he was really into making it work, but Mossy wasn't a terribly engaging guest. What really turned me off is the gratuitous plug for Mossy's new album ...

The reverse driving bit was quite amusing.

The in-studio banter felt the most natural it ever has, and Morrison is clearly getting more comfortable.

I think they are still trying to cram 1 too many segments in, and SIABSC is a bit long. That said, I thought it was a little better than last week, which was a solid 7. As such, this is (just) an 8. It would have been a more convincing 8 were it not for Mossy's performance on SIABSC, as well as the forced plug ... :thumbsdown:

What would I have done differently? I would have gone a little more into the details of the electric cars (i.e. how many kWs the power units were, battery capacity, expected range etc. I would have lost the 'Hey Charger' ad (even though it's a classic ad) and I would have put Mossy out of his misery 2 minutes earlier and not succumbed to record company pressure to plug some crappy new CD that nobody will buy anyway.

Last edited:
The Superclubby review was interesting and informative, although I noted what seemed like a teensy weensy bit of product placement when Pizzati mentioned that the difference between the standard Clubby and the Superclubby was 'a Golf GTI engine'.

Actually, you may not have noticed, but Volkswagen are no longer one of the show's sponsors.

Hahaha! I loved it!!

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

In case you haven't worked it out yet, Steve's electric car was a total fake. They show no pics of the drills in place, just the 'mounting plate'. Then it mysteriously 'failed'. You absolute legends!! :)

I loved this ep. Proper Aussie larrikinism.

I loved the Super Clubby piece. The tyre thing was fascinating.
The reversing thing was obviously our weekly product placement. Ford have just updated the Territory.
Ian Moss was - um - a 'strident' interview. I love his music though.
And I loved the Model T piece. Warren's face when Steve started it for the first time was great.
I'm guessing James was on catering duty that day. Didn't see much of him. Hmmm.

Overall. Fantastic. TGA totally, utterly faked a challenge. I loved it!

:)

8/10

EDIT: And the Model T lap was GOLD!!! The 'Omnibus". Hahahaaa.

Last edited:
nice ep.

the HSV review was cool, love that noise. surprised by the tyre thing...

thought wazza did a good job with a boring interview subject.

the model T stuff was interesting and its stig lap was gold.

the reverse cam bit was ok, some funny bits.

electric cars was a good story, i liked steve's epic fail.

james seems to be loosening up... the three guys work so much better as a unit now...

looking forward to next week...

Then why was it moving before it broke down?

If you believe that, I've got bridge shaped like a coathanger I can sell you.

The crew were pushing it and the sound designer put vroom vroom noises over the top.

Uhuh.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that they might fake something. TGUK have faked things. The caravan fire for example. They are in the business of making an entertainng television programme after all. What I don't buy is that they would fake a total failure like that. Steve's car not working made the entire second half of the challenge a whole lot less entertaining than it should have been.

Liked it more than last week's episode.. seemed to flow a lot better and for once they weren't scared to point out faults with a car...

$13k for those wheels... Yeah right!

Overall I'm going to give it an 8 this week...

Im not normally for this, but i needa torrent!!! the media center decided it didnt want to Lock onto SBS with the second tuner....

Uhuh.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that they might fake something. TGUK have faked things. The caravan fire for example. They are in the business of making an entertainng television programme after all. What I don't buy is that they would fake a total failure like that. Steve's car not working made the entire second half of the challenge a whole lot less entertaining than it should have been.

It wasn't a failure. The car never ran in the first place.

Two possible scenarios.

They reckoned they thought it might work........ and it didn't.

Or (more possible) they could really only afford to actually build one running vehicle so they put all the money into the Kingswood and then built a 'facade' second vehicle that would mysteriously 'fail'.

If they'd shown all the drills in the engine bay they would've gotten away with it.

Don't be upset. I think it's actually the most 'Top Gear-esque' thing that TGA have ever done. They blatantly cheated at something. And that's actually the real spirit of Top Gear.

Onyas!

Edit: Warrens tribute to the 253 was very nice show of mechanical and vehicular empathy. Onya Waz.

Last edited: