[02x04] August 14th, 2011

[02x04] August 14th, 2011

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
It was pretty entertaining... I definitely think they are getting better as the series progresses... I am looking forward to a US vs UK episode... a US vs UK vs AU would be pretty awesome as well...

Last edited:
Well congratulations Top Gear America...You seem to be getting worse with every episode, not better...How the hell are ya doing that?

These episodes just keep getting better and better! The chemistry between the hosts seem more natural, the cars and challenges cater well to the American audience and their antics have a unique (if not a bit goofy) flair. TGUS is really starting to hit its stride. Well done!

Kept getting better towards the end, quite good from crossing the asphalt and onwards.

This was as good as any TG UK episode except the Bolivia and North Pole specials. Getting all three vehicles across the asphalt was very funny even though the required materials for Tanner's roll and drag and Rutledge's carpet caterpillar just happened to be present curbside. Please note that the asphalt crossing was completely unique and no part of it has ever been done by the TG UK crew.

As a bonus, TG US has Nielsen ratings eight times higher than The Car Show. 2.13 million vs. 249,000. http://www.insideline.com/car-news/american-top-gear-season-2-premiere-ratings-up.html

Last edited:
TG US is also 8 times better than "the car show", plus its on basic cable, the latter on "deep" cable...

Matt Farah can blame TCS ratings on "deep cable." NASCAR doesn't seem to have the same problems on the same "deep" network. SPEED TV claims to be available in more than 82 million homes. I wonder if "available" means it's on the cable hooked up to the house, but not necessarily subscribed to.

Last edited:
This episode was ok.
I'm really getting sick of these cheap car specials.
And if they call another race like that epic, I think I might have to pull my hair out.
I hate when people claim that something they do is "epic."
That should be a title for others to decide on.
One good thing about this episode though, no BSSC; TGUS is pretty bad at that.
6/10

Matt Farah can blame TCS ratings on "deep cable." NASCAR doesn't seem to have the same problems on the same "deep" network. SPEED TV claims to be available in more than 82 million homes. I wonder if "available" means it's on the cable hooked up to the house, but not necessarily subscribed to.

Stay on topic.

I enjoyed the episode. I was a bit surprised at the bronco. But, that could have been Adams aggressive style. Did anyone else notice all four wheels were still getting power? Notice when he was going up the dune, the rear tires kicked up sand when he was stuck.

The only thing that killed it for me is the time slot is just too short to do an episode like that justice. 40 some odd minutes just isn't long enough.

Show keeps improving. The hosts are really coming into their own now. Can't wait till next weeks!!!!!!!

Stay on topic.

I enjoyed the episode. I was a bit surprised at the bronco. But, that could have been Adams aggressive style. Did anyone else notice all four wheels were still getting power? Notice when he was going up the dune, the rear tires kicked up sand when he was stuck.

I didn't notice I did notice that the front tires were flinging sand like there was no tomorrow. If the rear was fixed I'd imagine the rear tires would fling as much if not more sand then the front did.

Awesome! Loving the challenges, getting better all the time. Yanks giving limeys a run for the money. As a limey myself watching my American wife laugh as much as the English ones is an encouraging sign.

Now if only they could air it on a channel without adverts!

That place where they sort of climbed up that rock face, about 12 minutes in, reminds me of the same one that James May climbed up in the Evoque.

TG US is also 8 times better than "the car show", plus its on basic cable, the latter on "deep" cable...
Its like the ''TG UK vs Fifth Gear'' in Britain. Entertainment show vs car show.

TG US is pure entertainment show - and americans like to be entertained. It has a broader spectrum of viewers. So it's no suprise that ratings are better for the TG US.

The Car Show is more car oriented show for the gearheads - more news, interviews, reviews and other techincal stuff + lil' bit entertainment to spice it up.

Well congratulations Top Gear America...You seem to be getting worse with every episode, not better...How the hell are ya doing that?

care to elaborate on your response, or are you going to turn and burn and quit while you're still behind.

after seeing this episode, i can't believe a gave the heavy-duty challenge a 10. this out done the Alaska episode, in my opinion. gotta wonder what's in store for future episodes?

Sorry, being a newb to the forum I failed to notice a "show specific" area. So I posted some of my comments on the show here, in another thread http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear-america/top-gear-america-death-valley-show-50633/

I thought the show was fun, showed some nice scenery, and was entertaining. On a more personal level I connected well with the show, as I said in the other thread I have driven most of those trails multiple times, and also owned at least one of each type of vehicle used. In fact, I have driven the same vehicles over the same trails, quite often.

T!

Its like the ''TG UK vs Fifth Gear'' in Britain. Entertainment show vs car show.

TG US is pure entertainment show - and americans like to be entertained. It has a broader spectrum of viewers. So it's no suprise that ratings are better for the TG US.

The Car Show is more car oriented show for the gearheads - more news, interviews, reviews and other techincal stuff + lil' bit entertainment to spice it up.

Yeah, stuffing t-shirted plastic boobed equipped girls into Minis is highly technical. Watching Dan Niel driving a Rolls at Monterey at 35MPH with Carolla in the back seat yelling was a review. Watching girls smoke clutches learning to shift taught me everything I need to know about the Tremec transmission in Vipers.

The Car Show isn't a "car show." It's entertainment. With 77 million SPEED subscribers in the US and 7 million in Canada, 295,00 viewers prove it ain't very entertaining to most SPEED subscribers.