[02x04] June 1st, 2009

[02x04] June 1st, 2009

• Total voters
I agree with Tone76 on the Kia review .. it was more like the sort of thing you'd see on the car show. Got a mild lol out of the "R Soul" thing.

The Wagon review was pretty good .. would've been better if they included the others in the class .. Chrysler 300C SRT and the C63 AMG .. made something complete and worthwhile .. as it was, it was sort of look at this amazing (mostly unattainable) Audi but I'd prefer a Holden .. as if it was the only alternative.

Leisel Jones was better .. at least I know who she is and what she's done to make her a "star". Looking forward to HG next week.

Really missing a "news" segment ... particularly when there is so much around atm with the fate of GM etc.

8 for me. The wagon review was great, anyone notice they don't darken the corners of the shots anymore (forget what the technical name for it is)? The RS6 is just sublimely insane. If I ever have the misfortune to have children, dear God let me at least drive that. Although, $270,000....Jesus. SIABSC was ok, Liesel Jones just isn't that interesting, but Warren did his best to create a decent interview. James' dad drifting was EXCELLENT. If I recall correctly I did suggest maybe Steve should teach nannas how to drift in another thread a while ago so I'm smugly taking credit for that one :p trying to get Steve to drift those other ridiculous vehicles was also very funny, the image of James and Warren struggling to keep upright in the back of the Chrysler 300C stretch really cracked me up. I wish the Soul review was longer and maybe with an actual concrete opinion (ie it's crap), and would like to see the news instead of old car ads, but a pretty good episode overall.

This makes me happy, this episode! It's a car show with some heart here, this has to be their strongest episode ever. Good, genuine laughable moments but with good car reviews. I think they've cracked the chemistry now, the cringe factor is leaving and they're really starting to mesh well together.

On the downside, cut some time out of the star and add it back into reviews. The Soul felt a little cut short, and the interview lasted too long. The guys need to beg the producers to get some car people on, or at least some bigger celebrities. If they're not too hot about cars, I'll at least appreciate who they are and be entertained by them. Get car bores or interesting guests. Don't waste our time with plugs and boring people.

Boarding on an 8 for me, but I'd say 7.

I gave it an 8. Another solid episode and one of the first that, overall, I found more enjoyable then Top Gear Russia.

That RS6 is insane. If I wasn't writing the check, it would be an obvious choice. Mind you, if I was writing the check, I would not take the Holden, either - just too "boy racer" for me.

The Honda Odyssey "load limit test" was fun and the TV ad was not that bad. SIABSC was good and she was a crackin good driver.

And that Kia didn't look all that bad, either.

a very solid episode for me.

the audi vs clubsport wagon review was great... was shocked to see it wasn't even close between the two... i still like the look of the hsv though...

the drifting segments were pure top gear... the perfect balance of silliness, information, madness and screeching tyres doing wonderful donuts... loved the father smoking it up!! priceless! that shot of the mr whippy van crapping itself was awesome... the boys looked to be having genuine fun here...

warren is doing a top job on the interviews... and this week's subject was... well... better than the cold chisel guy... nah... she was alright... but a bit less time there could have been spent better elsewhere...

thought the ad was awesome. and as ar as the R soul ( LOL ) review... i can see why it was so short... there was very little interest to be found in a microwave with wheels... nice projection work it the closeups though...

these guys seem to be improving with every episode... hope they get a 3rd season... well deserved...

10. best. ep. yet.

And that Kia didn't look all that bad, either.

Having a laugh arent you? :p

I gave this episode a 9. Not because as a stand-alone is was that good because of the vast improvement compared to previous weeks. I think some of you guys are way too harsh on the show just because it isnt up to the British versions standards.

I still really think they need to do the news, and their is plenty of it at the moment with GM filing for protection, which they say wont effect Holden, but come on??? plus their have been plenty of new car releases and the could also talk about Aus road law issues aswell, I mean come on guys we need to get a little bit political instead of only having the RAC being the only people descussing road issues (yawn)...

I thought this ep was great. I voted 8.

Audi RS6 review, that was well done, comparing it to an Australian car made it interesting. Too bad GM is dumping Pontiac, that would've made a nice G8 Wagon.

Honda Odyssey, pointless but funny, so that's alright.

Drifting. The pastor drifting wasn't that good, but the drifting with odd cars are pretty good.

A solid 8 once again this week, I have not yet voted on last week. There were good bits in this episode, most importantly perhaps that now the hosts are starting to find their place in a increasingly unique show. That said I think Warren should not do the initial introduction, his voice seems too quiet for this, in fact James may be pretty good at it. In fact I'd say James is perhaps becoming more like James May in his part of the show, saught of the more quiet one compared to Steve and Warren. I thought Steve's review as well as last weeks was actually good to watch, never felt or cringed during it now that he clearly is starting to have more leighway (hope thats how you spell it) in expressing his own personality and I think he actually is like Hammond in a way so perhaps he was the best choice as far as finding equivelents are concerned, though this is irrelevant to a good show. I have to admit this hasen't happened before on TGA for me, but a few times they got me close to LOL and I only LOL if i think something is funny and was not expecting the line at all. I look forward to seeing these guys develop overtime along with the episode content.

8(.5) for me. The SIABSC interview is too long, but Warren is an engaging interviewer.

What really did strike me this episode (& it has been a big star this season) is what a great track Oran Park is to shoot. It's a ripper amphitheatre, allowing long & close shots, & has great speed, wide corners, tight corners, ups, downs, even a cross-over tyre sponsored bridge. It's going to be a massive shame when it's gone. There are elements of Donnington Park to it (the wiggly, undulating back section) - Eastern Creek just doesn't look any where near as good.

The rapport between them is coming along nicely too - makes you realise what a robot Charlie Cox was.

7/10 for me

The review of the wagons was great, but most of the other pieces didn't deserve better than average;
James' dad drift got cringe-worthy quickly
The Odyssey was too much filler (no pun intended)
The Kia could have been filled out more with stats/information even though it's a crap car
and SIABSC was too long as always and only midly interesting (wtf a degree for a beautician? :-| , I've hoped she'd choose something better than that!)

They don't film the Wednesday before the air date like TGUK does. These eps were filmed a good month back, so most news isnt news.

Cracking job this week, it's definitely coming together. The rapport between the hosts is already way better than it ever was with Charlie, and James is fitting in really well. There wasn't a part of the show (other than the SIABSC, which is... well, SIABSC, and needs no further comment) that I didn't like. There were more laughs, better pacing, the quality of the items is improving (though the Soul review could have been longer, though that would have meant having to have that thing on screen for longer, which wouldn't have been good), and even the use of music seemed more effective this week.

And that Audi was mental *wants*.

solid effort gave it 8/10.

The Audi RS6 drag race was amazing, glad reviewed the RS6 even though it's not that new.
Other segments - the will it drift challenges were quite fun. The Kia Soul was nicely shot.
Being outside of Australia I skipped the SIABSC bit, but overall I must say that this series is coming nicely together, definite improvement over the first one.

i'd give it an 8

but with a list of problems. starting with steve, who i love. he's great and it's nice to have some technical appreciation of cars, but his reactions to jokes and joking itself demonstrates how very technical he is! if he watched stand up for a couple hours straight he'd be better off. also there are few instances where don't they let a bad joke fall flat on it's face, like it should. in the UK, clarkson does his "i'm really a silly person underneath" facial expression, hammond is far more than confident enough to tell thousands of bad jokes and may's slight embarrassment is part of his character on the show, it's why we love him. back in the AU, james is clearly sticking to the 'script' by bagging steve a lot, if he could be more creative with it, he would get more than courtesy chuckles out of the old ladies he was entertaining.

SIABSC was okay, though they really need to prod the audience a lot more, to get them to laugh at the things that aren't so funny. to carry the slow bits. the reviews are slowly picking up more flow. clarkson's reviews tend to have a very strong, almost ruthless, ability to place you in the opinion of this car is a good car, or this car is a bad car, and he plays with that and tells that story throughout the review. the aussie ones seem to be far less connected to an emotional narrative than the UK.

whilst i can't criticize SBS for not also owning a radio station, the really could use some better music. overall though i suppose i'm a fan. they should nab webber for the SIABSC next Australian GP, grab Hugh Jackman next time he's over here. Hamish and Andy could be good too, these current SIABSC semi-nobodies are fine, but HJ would grab the eyeballs like no other.

Last edited:
Having a laugh arent you? :p

I gave this episode a 9. Not because as a stand-alone is was that good because of the vast improvement compared to previous weeks. I think some of you guys are way too harsh on the show just because it isnt up to the British versions standards.

i agree totally. i gave it an 8. it was a very good epp. the segments are getting better and better and watching the drift segment was a blast and the audi segment was well produced and by the way, i dont know if anyone else noticed, but, those old ladies didnt seem to have a clue about what they were doing there. i bet they never even heard of top gear! :rolleyes::dunno:

we as a community need to remember that its NOT TGUK, and, no matter how well they do, you just cant beat the original but i hope to see them come very close to it. every week it gets better and, as was said in the past couple of weeks by someone, this show is a great filler while we wait for TGUK to start back up.

one last thing, is it just me or does Morrison seem way to damn happy? just as the cameras are cutting to segments he breaks out this dumb smile/laugh! its driving me nuts! its the only thing on the show, for the most part, that seems forced.

and, as i say every week, its just not top gear untill there is a news segment!

Last edited:
I think some of you guys are way too harsh on the show just because it isn't up to the British versions standards.

Probably, though I've been doing a pseudo-marathon going through the whole show again and TGUK certainly has benefited from years of polishing. If I was voting for it now, it would be mostly in the 6-8 range for Series 2-4 (where I currently am).

As such, I probably wouldn't give an episode of TGA or TGR more then an 8, but then then TGUK would at best usually be a 9. Even Series 7, which for me was the high-point to date, would rate 9's across the board except maybe Episode 5 because it had the Bugatti Veyron.

For me, a 10 is something really special and I just don't think TGA and TGR have "aged" enough to reach that level. But I certainly hope they do.

Last edited:
one last thing, is it just me or does Morrison seem way to damn happy?

He really is like that. I've met him at some music festivals & other events & he can get a smile out of anything. If you ever get the chance to see him play live at somewhere like the Basement in Sydney, you won't regret it. As well as the awesome playing, he engages in plenty of banter with the audience.

whilst i can't criticize SBS for not also owning a radio station, the really could use some better music.

Actually, SBS owns a network of radio stations, but they mostly cater to Australia's foreign-languae speaking ethnic communities. TopGear UK has so much great music on it because British law allows them to use it without having to pay royalties. TopGear Australia doesn't have that advantage.

Last edited: