[02x07] June 22nd, 2009

[02x07] June 22nd, 2009

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I gave it a 6, although this episode really struggled to deserve such a high rating ...

- There was no proper car review this week
- The 'which car pulls the most chicks?' segment could have come straight from a Channel 9 lifestyle show
- This week's Contractual Obligation In A Bog Standard Car was a total bore
- The studio banter felt particularly forced this week, with the script especially poor
- I dunno if this really what he's like or if it's just because the script says he has to be, but Morrison is coming across more and more as a bit of a pussy (especially in the old vs new 4WD comparo)
- Even the camera work and editing, which are traditional TGA strong points, seemed a little off this week (although it was still good)

But, it wasn't all bad ...

- The outback mail run should have gone a bit longer, and should have incorporated proper reviews of the two vehicles. Both Brown and Pizzati fluffed around when talking about their vehicles, but they should have talked more about them

- The old vs new 4WD segment was mildly interesting, but was marred by James' refusal to go down the 80 degree descent, and removal of the FJ40's roof for no apparent reason. That, and the lack of technical detail ... at least TGA are consistent in this regard.

- That Torana ad. In hindsight, they should have shown the full 8 minute version and not bothered with the chick magnet car segment. You know you've just watched a sub-par episode of TGA when the old ad is the best bit.

Basically, it felt half-arsed and as though they had run out of ideas already. TBH, I'm kind of regretting giving it a 6. I think that a 5 might have been more appropriate. But like I said, I was feeling generous before I wrote this ... :p

Last edited:
I expected a page of reviews and I'm the third. Wow. Apathy has really set in.

I think tone76 said everything I would've. At least this ep was better than last week.

They still can't resolve the challenges. I'm guessing it's because something untoward happens during filming and they haven't got the shooting schedule/budget to get around it, so they're left with a giant hole, or in most cases, an unresolved ending.

I do however reckon Warren is a brilliant interviewer/presenter. I'm even starting to like Steve.

I watched a couple of new Fifth Gear eps over the week, and TGA isn't even close to their current standard.

The TGA execs need to wake up to themselves sharpish or it's all going to be over before they realised what happened.

7/10

Actually, I have to say I really enjoyed it. A solid 9 from me. I really liked the segment about the chicks. I liked the offroader bit, was really interesting, though I wish this were longer. I liked the drive with the two small cars. I even watched the SIARPC which I usually skip. I loved the lap of the GTR.

Yessssssssss........my beloved 911 GT2 beat the GT-R...hooray!

I loved the ep, interesting bit with the old an new 4x4, also great idea taking the Fiat 500 and a SMART to the desert

I expected a page of reviews and I'm the third. Wow. Apathy has really set in.

Some of us have to wait for the torrent to post. ;)

I gave it a 7. I gave TGUK 13x01 a 10, but on further reflection probably should have given it a 9 or even 8 and I found it more solid all-around than this episode of TGA.

I do not begrudge James not wanting to try that 80? incline - I wouldn't either in that vehicle, fiberglass top or no fiberglass top. I think an old and new Range Rover might have been a better choice, personally, to make the tests and results a bit more relevant to each other.

The "Small Car Outback Challenge" was okay. I agree a bit more information about the car during the trip would have been nicer instead of the 10 second re-cap at the end of the segment. I also agree it was too short.

Can't really deduct points for not having a "News" segment considering how bloody awful TGUK's was the other day. :p

As always, better than Series 1, but still behind Top Gear Russia and the original in my book.

other than 'what car pulls chicks' bit... a solid episode...

but seriously, who said yes to that one??? it felt entirely out of place and forced... like a bad 80s game show.
i could sense steve's skin crawling having to participate in such an un-top gear premise and scenario... even the "conclusion" annoyed me... the GTR? please.

the mail run was good... nice camera work, well paced and funny... again, ridiculously pointless... but isn't that kinda the point? i liked the subtitles guy. LOL.

i enjoyed the old vs new 4wd story too... and would have liked to have seen james make the descent... but i can see why he wouldn't do it... i wouldn't...

this episode was tainted by a badly thought out segment... aside from that - a very nice bit of top gear oz...

the guys are gelling really well... although james still feels like the new guy... and the series is almost over...

can't wait for next week...................... phase 3.

Purposely didn't watch it last night as I did the back to back with TGUK thing last year & it spoiled both. Will have a watch tonight.

Why is it that a episode discussion thread takes nearly 12 hours to be created?

Wouldn't it be smarter to make this thread as soon as the episode is finished?

Why is it that a episode discussion thread takes nearly 12 hours to be created?

I suspect most (if not all) the FG staff are either based in North America or Europe, therefore there's a wee bit of a time difference. As such, most of the FG staff might either be asleep or at work/school, hence the delay.

I suspect most (if not all) the FG staff are either based in North America or Europe, therefore there's a wee bit of a time difference. As such, most of the FG staff might either be asleep or at work/school, hence the delay.
Yep. TG.Au airs from 2:30am to 3:30am my time and a rip usually comes out at 6AM. I'm a stupid fool who stays up late though, so I don't usually wake up until 10-11am.

i havnt read the posts in here yet so i would be completely honest, so, if i say the same thing as someone else, well, sorry.:)

i gave that a SOLID 9

the only things i didnt like (other than the guest cuz i had no idea who he was so he isnt counted into this) was that the small car segment ended kinda abruptly and i cant believe they left that car behind, hope they learn from that and maybe next time bring an extra tire if a car dosnt have one or even, like the TGUK epp in africa, have a punishment car, but, on the bright side of that, we have been saying in a thread about the "joint challenge" idea that those guys needed a bonding experience and i think that was a good one for those two. so, again, a solid 9/10 from me. they are doing a great job and it gets better every week. also, this is the first week that it didnt seem forced, even Morrison was good! (not that he wasnt good before, just needed some coaching) they all seemed so natural this week and that first segment about the 4 cars and 4 guys in front of 50 women was very cool AND relavent. GOOD JOB BOYS, THAT WAS FUN TO WATCH!

Those poor blokes! You can just tell they're trying to swallow the terrible segments and scripting! Not having a car review is ALWAYS a big mistake for TGA...it's there only (especially when Steve is doing them) strength. Average guest (Warren did an admirable job though). Average 4x4 challenge with no detail. Chick-magnet story was VERY average. Outback story started well but then ended, surprise surprise, averagely. So an average score from me- 5/10.

Please please please ....I hope they do the Phase III justice next week!

I thought it was a good episode actually. Quite enjoyed it.

They seem to have a snack at ending things abruptly tho. The 4wd & Small car bits sorta just stopped.

But good episode overall. Nice GT-R lap. Pity it didn't pip the GT2.

7/10

I basically agree with tone76's comments.
With the Mail run; they should have done that as a full episode, rather than the weak, cut-down version with no information nor entertainment that was the result.
I changed channel for the SIABSC but then again I can't stand GS.

The cars pulling chicks segment was the first cringe-worthy moment this season. i like to think that the audience of top gear appreciate cars for reasons other than as a tool to pull chicks or impress your mates. it reminds me of those terrible TV ads generalising about how people speed because they want people to think big of them???? those types give P-platers a bad name. people are out at track days all the time going flat out, with no pitt girls, and no audience. they are there to enjoy their cars and get an adrenaline rush. but i guess you do still get those wankers who buy a $500,000 Ferrari purely with intent of picking up gold digging members of the opposite sex, so perhaps TG are perhaps just trying to broaden their appeal. a bit of a sell out i think but not my call.

fiat v smart in the desert segment was quite good, but yeh as usual lacked a solid ending or conclusion. getting better though. i personally enjoyed it as i have been out there to william creek and it is quite good fun tearing down dirt tracks in a landcruiser at 150 with a big dust trail behind you, and was a suprise to see the fiat made it ok.

4x4 challenge was decent, but maybe would have made a bit more sense if they had used a current model landcruiser v the old landcruiser, im not sure why they chose the other one.

cant comment on the star as i have no idea who he is so found it a bit dull

the show is definetly getting better and i am liking steve alot more this season. i didnt like him before because of all the over aussie slang used in season 1, im sure you all remmember how that made you cringe, well i did anyway... (remmember when he called the Lamborghini "grouse"?) it all seems much more natural now and james is a great addition to the team.

gave it a 7/10, could have been better but still watchable (except the pulling chicks segment)

7/10. Not as good as I thought it would be. I don't really know how on earth a middle aged old man is cool to be in a GT-R. It just seems wrong.

Going slightly downhill now since they hit that peak in 2x05. I would never believe a rice burning R33 can pull chicks so that got a miss, Mail run was ok in parts, but evident that it was cut down too far so would be better if they made more reference to the cars and the dust.

Skipped SIABSC, 4x4 test was great though but they should've shown more than just 2-3 hashed tests. All up, good ep by TGA standards and it's evident they're getting there, but they need to choose their segment editing better.