[02x07] September 4th, 2011

[02x07] September 4th, 2011

• Total voters
Can Tanner's Fiesta really go on the Power Lap board? Is it street legal? If so, where can I steal the money to buy one?

I don't see why it wouldn't be. It's not like a NASCAR stock car where the headlights are decals.

Quick Thoughts --

- Liked the video game v. real life challenge -- mostly because I'm a big fan of Forza Motorsports myself (and, for those of you not into video gaming, the upcoming Forza 4 was made in partnership with Top Gear UK -- there's Top Gear content on the disc, Clarkson does all of the audio tracking for the game, and you can race around the Top Gear UK test track to beat laps put up by the Stig). Loved that they turned the cheat lines on and Ferrara still couldn't drive correctly.

- I enjoyed that they finally let Tanner show off his car, and I'm happy that they decided it was important for an American car to set the record.

- Having said that, a big "No" to Tanner's car going on the Power Lap board -- I thought the Power Lap board was supposed to be for production cars only, not cars built specifically for racing setups. The beauty of the board is that it contains cars that, theoretically (assuming you had a few billion dollars in the bank) you could go out and buy from a manufacturer and race right out of the factory. Once you start putting custom cars on there, you ruin the point of the comparison. I was waiting for someone to pull out the "But....it's not a production car, so off it goes." and it never happened. Big boo.

- Similarly big "Boo" for not taking the two actual production cars showcased (the Audi and the Lexus) around the track for a power lap. That's the second time this season that they've had a car in a show (the GT2 RS being the first) that would have been perfect for a lap that they declined to do. Is there something in the contract that says they can't put these cars around the track that they have to sign as a condition for getting them loaned to the show? Otherwise, why are we not seeing laps from these cars?

- Indoor speed record would've been better if Adam and Rut were there. They were trying to set him to fail, why weren't they at the challenge?

- Loved the drifting stuff. I wish that segment would've had more ridiculous cars / trucks.

Overall, a fun episode, but could have been much much better.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. It's not like a NASCAR stock car where the headlights are decals.

An argument could be made that since it is a race car, it's an automatic DQ. You can't exactly go to your local Ford Dealer and request a "Tanner Special" no matter how many Benjamin's you have stuffed in your underwear.

Of course, the show isn't following the UK granddaddy, so......hell, thats a very interesting query. What are the rules for qualifying on the Lap time board for TGUSA?

That was an outstanding episode, totally surprised me after the monotany that's defined the season so far (cheap car challenge, cheap car challenge, etc.) This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about when I said I wished they'd do more car and racing related stuff and lose of the junkyard reality show vibe they were starting to get. The only problem has already been mentioned: no power lap except on a race car?

We're only partway through season 2 and this is already starting to catch up with the UK show. I never would have guessed it would get this good so fast.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, they follow TGUK's two rules.

Tanners car is, as far as I can tell, road legal, and it definitely can clear a sleeping policeman

An argument could be made that since it is a race car, it's an automatic DQ. You can't exactly go to your local Ford Dealer and request a "Tanner Special" no matter how many Benjamin's you have stuffed in your underwear.

Of course, the show isn't following the UK granddaddy, so......hell, thats a very interesting query. What are the rules for qualifying on the Lap time board for TGUSA?

But I think you can call Ford SVT and say I am a racer and I want to buy Tanner's Fiesta and I think they will sell you one. It is the same with Porsche or Ferrari, you can go and buy a racing car and if you got the dough you will get your car.

6.... one of the better of the series so far but still not as good as TGUK or TGAUS. They just don't have the chemistry that the other two shows have. Whoever edited the show needs to be taken behind a shed and shot. Worst flow in any show I've ever seen. Tanner continues to do a waaaaaaaaaaay better job on the show than the other two. Would really like to see them replace at least one of the other two. Disappointed that once again the entire show was pretty much a rehash of TGUK material.

As far as I can tell, they follow TGUK's two rules.

Tanners car is, as far as I can tell, road legal, and it definitely can clear a sleeping policeman

So can I believe two of "DQ" cars on TGUK's List (Ferarri FXX and the Radical.........three if you count the Harrier Jet.....lol.) can run over a speed bump. But they've been borked from the list.

So yeah, your argument falls short there abit.

But I think you can call Ford SVT and say I am a racer and I want to buy Tanner's Fiesta and I think they will sell you one. It is the same with Porsche or Ferrari, you can go and buy a racing car and if you got the dough you will get your car.

I'm willing to bet a race-prepped Ford Fiesta wouldn't be considered "Road Legal" for liability and legal reasons. The Mustang FR500C isn't road legal for example.

The other angle i'd see is that Tanner's race crew bought/got a stock Fiesta and modded it. Which in essence means the car isn't qualified because it isn't a commercial trim level.

Of course, a more frightening prospect, which was just confirmed by me watching Ice Road Truckers: Overt Product Placement. In IRT, they seem to be "showing" alot of the Ford Raptor in both Canada and Alaska's Ice Roads. Hell, they had one driver drive one to deliver a load of tires and he couldn't fucking shut up about the truck. It's abit of an "out there theory", but a plausible one.

I gave it a 10. I would have given it an 11 if the LFA and R8 were put on power laps. From what I've read in Rutelidge's twitter feed, these vehicles just weren't available when they filmed at the Irvine studios. They can only film laps when they are allowed to use the set. Thus, there will be a limited number of vehicles shown. I'm hoping still they can feature these vehicles in History Channel web exclusives.

I don't understand why people are so upset with the Fiesta being placed on the record. Yes, I understand TGUK only lists production cars but it's not like I can't tell by looking at the board it's not street legal. Do you think when people see the name 'Ford Fiesta Rally Cross Edition', they'll be saying, "Dem Top Gear American folks really had me believing I can drive one of dem Tanner Foust rally cars!" Who cares?

I thought it was well done how they combined both the game play and Tanner's lap. TGUS is not sponsored by public funds like the BBC so they need some type of sponsorship. Showcasing a very popular game about racing, which is affiliated with TGUK, makes dollars and sense. I was interested in the game but I didn't feel it took away from the crux of the challenge, which was to compare real-life racing and video-game racing.

Chemistry wise, it is really great. I was laughing when Adam and Rutelidge were riding passenger when Tanner was drifting. I saw they were challenging Tanner but ironically they wanted him to succeed. It's like encouraging banter among the three. When Tanner got that 1:44 lap, Rutelide appeared to be disappointed but not surprised. Unlike any of the other Top Gear affiliates, TGUS has a world class racing driver as one of its hosts. Showcasing his skills was a big plus.

Overall, it's the best TGUS I've seen and one of my favorite TG episodes ever. I'm looking forward to more episodes and more power laps!

I don't understand why people are so upset with the Fiesta being placed on the record. Yes, I understand TGUK only lists production cars but it's not like I can't tell by looking at the board it's not street legal. Do you think when people see the name 'Ford Fiesta Rally Cross Edition', they'll be saying, "Dem Top Gear American folks really had me believing I can drive one of dem Tanner Foust rally cars!" Who cares?

Minor rant: I've always been the person to say "You can't judge people unless you work retail or some other customer oriented job for a few years." You sir would not believe the stupidity i've seen in my 5 years of retail service. Just because you think people aren't gonna say it, doesn't mean some braindead idiot will do it.

Neat drift challenges, something new there.

TGAUS did it first, so it wasn't new per se.

Not one mention that TGUK set the first record?! Could have been a nice in-your-face moment: "What do you think of that old man?!"

The lack of citing surprised me a bit as well, but given the conscious separation from TGUK that TGUS has been making this season, it's understandable.

You can't judge people unless you work retail or some other customer oriented job for a few years.

I hear you there Ice. Retail is...its own little world.

The lack of citing surprised me a bit as well, but given the conscious separation from TGUK that TGUS has been making this season, it's understandable.

Sure, and I can live with the lack of citation. Might have confused new viewers to Top Gear about which Stig it was. Plus, I'm not sure that Tanner's attempt counts, since I think you have to do the drive twice (once in each direction) and then average the scores. Lord knows TGUK has cited that often enough...

Can Tanner's Fiesta really go on the Power Lap board? Is it street legal? If so, where can I steal the money to buy one?

Well, i like rally but im not 100% up on the rules of the US version but, I think all rally cars are street legal by rule. they have to drive to the next stage so yes, its street legal as far as i know and no its not a "one off" because there are multiple cars like his throughout the world.

Sure, and I can live with the lack of citation. Might have confused new viewers to Top Gear about which Stig it was. Plus, I'm not sure that Tanner's attempt counts, since I think you have to do the drive twice (once in each direction) and then average the scores. Lord knows TGUK has cited that often enough...

I am suspect, i didnt see the Guiness guy there like you usually do with records like that.

So can I believe two of "DQ" cars on TGUK's List (Ferarri FXX and the Radical.........three if you count the Harrier Jet.....lol.) can run over a speed bump. But they've been borked from the list.

So yeah, your argument falls short there abit.

Uh, no it doesn't.

The Harrier is not street legal. The Ferrari FXX used slick tires, which are NOT street legal (also, it was driven by Schumacher, not Lord Stig). And I highly doubt that this can go over a speed bump.

Also, the TGUK Power Board requires the car to have a boot (trunk space). No storage of any kind on the Radical.

Uh, no it doesn't.

The Harrier is not street legal. The Ferrari FXX used slick tires, which are NOT street legal (also, it was driven by Schumacher, not Lord Stig). And I highly doubt that this can go over a speed bump.

Also, the TGUK Power Board requires the car to have a boot (trunk space). No storage of any kind on the Radical.

Since when? What kind of boot does an Ariel Atom have? The requirements as they are right now are street legal, available for purchase, and can get over a speed bump.

a very solid 8 from me, once again great chemistry, extremely entertaining to watch, i would happily put TGUS up there now with TGUK, in fact this series has been more consistently good than some recent series of TGUK.