[02x07] September 4th, 2011

[02x07] September 4th, 2011

• Total voters
Remember, he must also come to a complete stop. While the Raptor can accelerate due to it's weight, that's a lot of mass it's carrying at that speed. A record it is not if he's part of a wall.

Hmm, good point. 60-0ft. braking is 218ft for the SuperCrew. Still, I think with the added traction it would get up to the speed needed quicker to be able to have the extra distance to stop. Just a thought. :D

That being said Phil Cooper beat TGUK record with a 82 mph speed in a Toyota-powered car of unknown origin (see picture below).
autograss-indoor.jpg

That looks familiar (jump to 3:50 in video)......

[video=youtube;b7G3UlTG-r4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7G3UlTG-r4&t=3m50s[/video]

Last edited:
Another enjoyable episode, glad they seemed to of found their mark.

Hmm, good point. 60-0ft. braking is 218ft for the SuperCrew. Still, I think with the added traction it would get up to the speed needed quicker to be able to have the extra distance to stop. Just a thought. :D

I wonder what the Cheaparral could of done it in. Who cares how slipperary the floor is if you have over 1000 pounds of non-aerodynamic down force to work with.

Definitely the best episode in a while. Solid 7. Didn't care much for BSSC (but then again, I never have, and probably never will), nor for the rather obvious product placement. Nice to see Tanner's rallycross car, though as some have said, I'm not sure that it belongs on the lap board, though it was an impressive lap!

Did anyone else notice how they aired a different edit tonight? Why did they do that?

Did anyone else notice how they aired a different edit tonight? Why did they do that?

What was different about it?

Crossposted from Awesome Thread [Automotive Editions].

Hopefully this assuages some doubts. Essentially the same car, albeit detuned for WRC, but still street legal. I don't think Germany would let it on the road if it wasn't.

As for the episode, an 8. I'm still getting to used to their style rather than the TGUK one, but this strikes a bit closer to home. Not completely sure what I think of it yet.

Ok, I've been lurking on the site and finally had to join to clear this up. Tanner's Rallycross Fiesta is most definitely NOT street legal in the US where the show is filmed. In fact, a lot of the cars they test on the UK show that are street legal over there are not street legal in the US due to different emissions and crash laws. There's no way 600+hp turbocharged 4 cylinder in a race car is meeting emissions requirements, and the car has no airbags, no crash testing, and is a fiberglass shell over a steel cage. The only way it would be allowed on the road is if it were classified as a "kit car", which has its own set of rules and regulations which vary from state to state. Either way, if the lap time board is for "production vehicles", this doesn't fit.

That said, they've never clarified what types of vehicles are allowed on their list, so maybe they'll just allow everything that runs a lap to be on the same list. Once the list gets too long they can always go back and separate it.

What was different about it?

Some parts were shuffled around slightly, others cut out completely. For example when Tanner was talking about the LFA's single clutch gearbox and how after driving the LFA he understood why they chose it instead of a dual clutch. That part was missing entirely.

So according to Wood, the LFA featured in the episode was actually black bu they "wrapped" it in yellow. I don't know if this means they painted the vehicle or just used digital effects. They wanted a yellow LFA but it was being loaned to Kyle Busch, who ended up receiving a speeding ticket for going 128 mph on a 45 mph zone.

So according to Wood, the LFA featured in the episode was actually black bu they "wrapped" it in yellow. I don't know if this means they painted the vehicle or just used digital effects.

No, they literally wrapped it. It's a cheap, quick, temporary way to change a cars color without repainting it. It's the same method they use on the cars in NASCAR.

TGUK crew often talk about write-ins complaining about not testing "affordable" cars. They hardly ever do "affordable" cars on that show so why should TGUS?

TGUK crew often talk about write-ins complaining about not testing "affordable" cars. They hardly ever do "affordable" cars on that show so why should TGUS?

Because the average American doesn't give two shits about some supercar unless it has a big honking v8 and can go in a straight line in 0-60 times?

Gee. Last season a bunch of whinny Final Gear bitches complained about TGUS copying TGUK ad infinitum, ad nauseum. Now, the same bitches complain about TGUS not being exactly like TGUK.

Ever notice how whinny little bitches can never make up their minds. Might be PMS.

Because the average American doesn't give two shits about some supercar unless it has a big honking v8 and can go in a straight line in 0-60 times?

.... and can go in a straight line in 0-60 times?

English must be your third or fourth language. Or, you got a big honking F in that class.

Ah Beech, still the gentleman I see!

As an American I have to say that Top Gear is not the source I turn to when I want to find out information about 'sensible' cars, be they affordable, practical or whatever other criteria one uses to judge a car sensible. No, for that I turn to the pages of Consumer reports, or better yet Car & Driver, Motor Trend, or Automobile. So the thought of reviewing those cars in any way meaningful to the consumer is just not something I want to see on any Top Gear. Now, if they want to drive a Renault Clio off a pier at a ferry to showcase its acceleration, then yes, do that, because then they have crossed the line into the realm of entertainment.

So lets have no more talk of sensible reviews. Show me a Viper being driven stupid-fast please. That's what I want on Top Gear.

Ah Beech, still the gentleman I see!

As an American I have to say that Top Gear is not the source I turn to when I want to find out information about 'sensible' cars, be they affordable, practical or whatever other criteria one uses to judge a car sensible. No, for that I turn to the pages of Consumer reports, or better yet Car & Driver, Motor Trend, or Automobile. So the thought of reviewing those cars in any way meaningful to the consumer is just not something I want to see on any Top Gear. Now, if they want to drive a Renault Clio off a pier at a ferry to showcase its acceleration, then yes, do that, because then they have crossed the line into the realm of entertainment.

So lets have no more talk of sensible reviews. Show me a Viper being driven stupid-fast please. That's what I want on Top Gear.

Hey Bryan,

I never wrote anything about sensible car reviews. I wrote last season, people complained that TGUS was copying TGUK. Now, people complain TGUS needs to be more like TGUK.

I have never used any TG program reference for any automotive performance data or serious opinion.

Now that you've admitted useing Consumer Reports as a source for automobile information, please turn in your Car Guy Card.

Last edited:
Hey Bryan,

I never wrote anything about sensible car reviews. I wrote last season, people complained that TGUS was copying TGUK. Now, people complain TGUS needs to be more like TGUK.

I have never used any TG program reference for any automotive performance data or serious opinion.

Now that you've admitted useing Consumer Reports as a source for automobile information, please turn in your Car Guy Card.

I never said you wrote anything about sensible car reviews, I was simply responding to the thread as a whole with my comments. My specific comment to you ('still the gentleman I see!') was to sarcastically note that as usual you're acting like a dickhead.

My "Car Guy Card"?! What, you gotta be a card-carrying Commie to be a car guy? Then never mind! To paraphrase Groucho Marx, "I wouldn't join a club that would have you as a member" although since I'm here, there are certain exceptions...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, unless and until they codify the rules for the Power Lap board, we should probably expect to see more non-street cars occasionally surface on it. Not sure I like that, but that's the way it is.