[02x08] June 29th, 2009

[02x08] June 29th, 2009

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
A solid episode filled with (OMFG) car reviews! A convincing 8.

- Wazza's Porsche vs Horse piece was well shot and had adequate detail about the car and how it drives
- The Lexus vs M-B piece was very polished and informative in a Fifth Gear sort of way (not a bad thing)
- Pizzati's GTHO piece was stunning, probably TGA's finest review yet
- This weeks Contractual Obligation wasn't as bad as some
- The Cortina ad was hilariously un-PC. As Stewie Griffin once said, 70s boobs were different :D
- Whilst we all knew that the tyre change result would be a foregone conclusion, it was highly entertaining

It's also the first time they've tried using a theme to hold the show together, much like TG UK did in S2. For the most part, the theme worked quite well.

Not a bad one to go out on...although I would still wager a few bucks on there not being a series 3. SBS is pretty skint and even the cut down version that is TGA is still an expensive thing to make. It's a pity that folks haven't got behind this series, 'cos i'm sure we'll miss it once all we've got is out of date TGUK reruns.

a very solid way to go out...

for me, every bit as good as episode 5 of this series, the benchmark thus far... the GTHO review was glorious... the camera work, the pace - we actually got to get a good look at the classic in action, those slo mo cornering shots.... wow... and the stig slamming it....

the cayenne v horse race was amusing and interesting... 'and as usual, the germans wanted to conquer europe' LOL :)

the mercedes and lexus review was slick and that auto park thing is just ridiculous... carl williams in a bog standard car was good, although i qustion whether he actually set the fastest time, or they were looking to go out on a winner... loved the dodgy unPC 70s ad...

let's hope there's a third season... cause as a whole this has been a tremendous step forward... certainly as fast if not faster evolution than the top gear UK early years... the style, the lack of charlie, the sense of humour, the challenges, the reviews... all made massive leaps... the presenters deserve much congratulations... the producers and crew have definately stepped up their game... i'd love to see the next level... it's a show we can be proud of... warts and all... ( and there aren't that many warts )

well done to all those involved.

Well i was very pleased with the whole ep. i even though they had a proper star until he mentioned he was starting an sbs show soon. 9 from me

Also have a feeling they will be back considering their comments at the end of the show.

I hope they will but m not confident. If there is a season 3 it will be better than season 2 as James, Warren and Steve were begining to gel quite well.

I enjoyed the episode and their weren't any cringe worthy moments. I loved the Porsche review, thought the luxury car reviews was good and also really enjoyed seeing the GTHO Phase 3 (what a great car).

Not a bad one to go out on...although I would still wager a few bucks on there not being a series 3. SBS is pretty skint and even the cut down version that is TGA is still an expensive thing to make. It's a pity that folks haven't got behind this series, 'cos i'm sure we'll miss it once all we've got is out of date TGUK reruns.

Thing is though, TGA is still their highest rating show on the entire network, with Mythbusters generally behind that.

Using ratings as an excuse to axe it won't happen, because it's still drawing the biggest ratings for them.

a solid episode and a great end to a much improved series. 9/10 for me

every review and segment was much more refined and complete than they have been in the past, and they are really getting the hang of it now. looking forward to series 3.

i do enjoy the old car ads segment, but it can get a bit tiresome, and i personally think it would be better suited as an occasional segment to put in every seccond episode or something like that, similar to how top gear UK dont have the cool wall every single episode, its sort of mixed up and thrown in every now and then. keeps it fresh and less predictable.

congratulations to the boys though on a solid effort with this season, lets all hope they keep it going.

btw, i think that phase 3 that was on there is going to be bought by the supercar club. its the same one that is on the supercar club website 'cars coming soon' number plate "phase3" so if you are keen for a drive you can always join!

on the supercar club note, does anyone know about james's review of the Ariel Atom? (if there even is one?) because i remmember seeing an article and pictures of james morrison being pulled over by the police in the atom which had supercar club stickers on it. I was sort of expecting a review this season? but as far as i know the atom isnt road legal yet in Aus, so it is all kind of confusing.... (currently i believe though there are two companies, International Motor Group, and Open Wheeler Imports, working on Australian compliance for the atom, but no news yet on whether they have been succesful) anyone know anything about that?
link for james morrison in the atom: http://www.topgear.com/au/photos/Atom-vs-Police?imageNo=0

Last edited:
An awful like TG S1 and S2 - night and day difference.

Getting rid of Charlie really made the series work for me, and you could see the current crew gelling through the whole run.

I hope they will be back for S3 - the current crew can go nowhere but up. (IMHO)

B

10 out of 10 for me because of the GTHO phase 3 review.

8/10 for me. I really liked the reviews they had on the show and the challenge between horse and Cayenne was beautifully shot. They've come a long way with the editing. The Pitstop challenge was predictible but good. I like the Luxury car comparison too, testing out the gadgets in the car and that really it's not worth the money to buy these indulgences when we can wait for a few years to put them in normal family cars.
The GTHO review was a thorough, in-depth review of a car in Bathurst Folklore, even though it only won one. But how it flows from "I really shouldn't have driven it" to "This belongs in Bathurst" makes what TG should be all about. The cars.
And I'm really starting to warm to the old ads, but BRING BACK THE NEWS!!
And as for the SIABSC, there's not really a lot they can do about it, but just add more petrolheads and less SBS people.

Overall, this series is a whole planet better than the last series. The trio seem to get along really well and if they try not to overact and be themselves and have more fun, then it becomes the show I really want it to be.
I do hope SBS renew a series 3. And they should anyway, because people are starting to notice it and are beginning to notice it as an individual show, despite the name. Of course they'll never get to the heights of TGUK, but they're doing well with what they have.

PS: I hope TGUK and TGA battle it out in the next series. That I would pay to see.

I'm really happy to say that was a thoroughly enjoyable episode. Warren's interview was great, best one yet. The luxury car bit was wonderfully shot and proved if you spend all night reading the 600 page manual you can park-assist without destroying things. The horse/Cayenne bit was good too although it was missing an introduction to the horseman which was a little awkward (can't really root against someone I don't "know"). On the whole they're taking the whole business a bit more seriously than TGUK, which this week I finally didn't mind. If the presenters aren't the type to "cock about and fall over" then I think they've finally hit a niche by NOT trying to. Last week was weaker but this week was great. Congrats.

I've said it before and last night only confirmed it for me: Steve's reviews are consistently the best thing on TGA! That GTHO review was brilliant!!!! Great story flow, funny observations and brilliant driving! Note to TGA producers: don't EVER do an episode without a proper review!
Warren's Cayenne story was all a bit pointless but he always manages to make me laugh. And yet again he did a great job with SIABSC. I even liked the guest!
But the luxury car gadget thing was a bit of a non-story for me. Plus I'm starting to struggle with James a bit I have to say. I don't know what it is- perhaps a touch of smugness or something?
Everything else was pretty solid but as always the studio scripting was weak. (Especially having the boys do that counting after the ad *TACKY*)
All up- 7/10.

i do enjoy the old car ads segment, but it can get a bit tiresome, and i personally think it would be better suited as an occasional segment to put in every seccond episode or something like that, similar to how top gear UK dont have the cool wall every single episode, its sort of mixed up and thrown in every now and then. keeps it fresh and less predictable.
I was thinking that they should do a random Top Gear Australia Classic Ads special to fill a gap between the seasons, just do a 20-1 style countdown of ads, and then retire the segment for next season.

Great episode all round last night. Loved the Car vs Horse bit, a good review and a decent race.

I agree, more like Cool Wall and less like The News. They probably could have kept What Were They Thinking in that format. I actually liked the concept but the execution was forced because there weren't funny ideas every single week.

Great episode and the best they've done so far. The lads should be congratulated on a fine finish. I loved the Phase III review and Steve really is getting the hang of doing great reviews which are informative and entertaining.

9/10 for me and I can't wait for series 3....

Cmon SBS you ca do it!

8/10 from me

Reviews were good, the Cayenne as a little but dull and not much of a race (wondering how staged the closeness of the ending was) SIABSC was it's usual self.

Here's hoping something better to replace the Ads segment in S3

Brilliant seeing it on TV after being in the audience. (Saw myself behind warren a few times during the interview :) )
I must say that these three gel MUCH more smoothly than the 2 with cox ever did. All they really need now is to spend a lot more time together (an O/S trip like the vietnam one the TGUK guys did?) and not be so scripted. James and Warren kind of naturally sound scripted, but I'm sure after a bit more time with the writers this would disappear.

Back to the show.

Unfortunately I watched TGUK after this ep and compared the two, but then realised there's no point, they're not the same show, there's no reason to compare them.

- The reviews were top notch
- Ad segment was great, I think they should keep this weekly, but keep the audience reaction instead of muting it
- Cinematography is getting better and better, they've even left behind the vignetting most of the time, which is great to see

Overall, 9/10

Congrats guys, hope to see it back on the screen soon.

I enjoyed the ep of TopFifthGearAU this week.

I wonder how the overseas viewers will see the GTHO? I loved it!

However, here we are at the end of season 2 and still not enough material for a 'Best of' DVD yet. Piss poor.

A watchable show, but only once. And that doesn't make for a good business model kids. The profitable 'Rats Tail' is the long, thin stream of after show merchandise that TGA just doesn't have.

I'll say it again. Start writing the challenges for next season NOW and you've got half a chance.

The producers haven't worked out that TopGear is not a show you can write on the fly like every other Aussie POS.

Good Luck TGA.

:)

9/10 from me :) Definitely a great episode to end the series on!

Good reviews and good chemistry between the trio.
Anyone notice the Super Cheap Auto ad blurring in one of the Bathurst shots? :)

One! Two! Three! Four! Five! ..Cortina! :lol: