[02x08] September 18, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove the length of Kansas last August when the temperature was regularly above 100 and there hadn't been rain for weeks. My friends and I competed for points spotting oil derricks, water towers, streams/bodies of water, and hills (worth increasing numbers of points, respectively). This was, by far, the best way to pass the time. When your state makes the drive through South Dakota seem exciting, you know you're struggling.

I think the entire collection was a bit of a reach. The Charger and Trans Am have been ruined by crappy remakes of their original shows (a movie for the first and a rebooted TV show for the second). I think the DeLorean still remains a relevant part of pop culture, but this is the one car they didn't secure a legitimate copy of. If they were shooting for the demographic which grew up in the 70's/80's, they could have done the Firebird from Smokey and the Bandit, GMC van from The A-Team, Peterbuilt semi from Transformers, AMC Pacer from Wayne's World, Dodge Monaco from Blues Brothers, or Dodge Ram from Walker (again). All of these would have been more accessible or cheaper than the pricey DeLorean option.

I have no doubt that I'll enjoy the show, but as anyone who has ever had a DeLorean in their rear-view mirror will attest, there is just something menacing about the proportions, and it's doubtful the fake will have that kind of personality.

Also, this is quite interesting. Seems like a bit more than a coincidence we ended up with the "Top 3" cars. It's not even that good of a list.

Last edited:
When your state makes the drive through South Dakota seem exciting, you know you're struggling.

Actually, the drive through South Dakota is more exciting: the Black Hills, Rushmore, Rapid City, Crazy Horse, Sturgis. I won't deny that western Kansas is dull, dull, dull. That's why, when I go camping in the Rockies, I drive overnight so that I hit the mountains by noon or so. Temps above 100? Just another Kansas summer...

as anyone who has ever had a DeLorean in their rear-view mirror will attest, there is just something menacing about the proportions, and it's doubtful the fake will have that kind of personality.

I have trouble being intimidated by something that looks like an aluminum can. Heck, if they had made that stupid car out of aluminum, it probably would have improved its performance considerably.

I'm probably older than the demographic of the show (I grew up in the 70s) so my list would have included the Gran Torino from Starsky and Hutch, the Trans Am from Smoky and the Bandit, and a 1974 Grand Marquis (Jack Lord's car from Hawaii Five-O, but only because Jim Rockford's Firebird is too similar to the Trans Am).

I'm probably older than the demographic of the show (I grew up in the 70s) so my list would have included the Gran Torino from Starsky and Hutch, the Trans Am from Smoky and the Bandit, and a 1974 Grand Marquis (Jack Lord's car from Hawaii Five-O, but only because Jim Rockford's Firebird is too similar to the Trans Am).

I think you could add:

Ford LTD Country Squire Wagon (National Lampoon's Vacation)
VW Karmann Ghia or Sunbeam Alpine (Get Smart)
AMC Matador police car (Adam 12)
Ferrari 308 GTS (Magnum PI)
Peugeot 403 (Columbo)
Kenilworth K-100 (BJ and the Bear)

The Charger and Trans Am have been ruined by crappy remakes of their original shows (a movie for the first and a rebooted TV show for the second).

I had to look that show up, I had no idea what you were talking about... blech. I never saw that movie, I'm guessing it was awful, but at least they used the right car. I think that's even more of a reason to pay homage to the real one though. I don't think anything new can ruin the original, it just ruins itself.

In any case, any list of anything is going to leave most viewers saying "why didn't they include..?" I think they probably chose the ones they thought would be most popular, not necessarily the most interesting ones.

I had to look that show up, I had no idea what you were talking about... blech.

"That show" is, according to many, primarily responsible for the NBC version of Top Gear getting canned a few years ago. NBC saw the failure of Knight Rider and made the deduction that all car shows will perform similarly.

Considering how rare an actual '69 Charger is (because they kept wrecking them while filming), I doubt this is a "cheap car" episode.

Going by what nickgeorge25 posted, they're not using the real cars, so it is a cheap car challenge.

"That show" is, according to many, primarily responsible for the NBC version of Top Gear getting canned a few years ago. NBC saw the failure of Knight Rider and made the deduction that all car shows will perform similarly.

Well it's their fault for using a Shelby product.

I think it's interesting that the next episode of TG Australia would have been THE EXACT SAME THING!! And one of the cars was (would have been?) the same: they showed the 'General Lee', a Mad Max Falcon interceptor, and the Starsky and Hutch car (well, sorta; they used Aussie cars with similar paint jobs).

I think you could add:

Ford LTD Country Squire Wagon (National Lampoon's Vacation)
VW Karmann Ghia or Sunbeam Alpine (Get Smart)
AMC Matador police car (Adam 12)
Ferrari 308 GTS (Magnum PI)
Peugeot 403 (Columbo)
Kenilworth K-100 (BJ and the Bear)

I could also add: (Obviously not all these cars would be easy or cheap to get)

The white Ferrari from Miami Vice
6159738038_b6e32fc53b_b.jpg

The Oldsmobile 1921 from Bevery Hillbillies
6159737540_644b1d3f25_b.jpg

The Plymouth Fury from Christine
6159737320_96353faaa7.jpg

Herbie
6159199237_11c3999dee_z.jpg

And... (Kudos to the ones who remember this one :cool:)
6159198521_ecc9fc9dc5_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.