[02x08] September 18th, 2011

[02x08] September 18th, 2011

• Total voters
I really enjoyed the episode. I love the half assed movie cars, the STi review was pretty good but I skipped the SIARPC.

I actually enjoyed the Star this time, even though I had no idea who this guy was (Didn't watch Sopranos)

I liked it a lot. An interesting challenge (not from a performance POV of course, but strictly from a pop culture perspective), a good review of the Subaru with a race thrown in (rally car vs bike. Where have I seen that before?), a tolerable BSSC. Good episode. But what pushed it to 9 for me was the Stig in a segment, and not just doing power laps. That my friends is win!

Other thoughts:

1) I guess the trend for the show will be to shoot a lot of stuff at one location at once? Eagle Mountain seems to have popped up a lot this series. I've got mixed feelings about this. I understand the need to save production money and one site does do that, but I don't want to be watching and go, "Oh, there's Eagle Mountain again." In other words, I don't want to be distracted from the car by the recognizable terrain and once or twice I felt I was. Not sure I'm explaining this too well.

2) Tanner's tongue. Nice to see that he recognizes he has a problem.

3) I wonder what becomes of the Hollywood cars? Any chance we'll see plinths bearing them in the studio from now on? I think that's one thing this show hasn't yet done: recognize it's own history (no pun intended) in a tangible way. They've done a good job talking about past events (odd considering that it could possibly alienate new viewers who have no clue what they're talking about), but it's time to build up the 'trophies' from their activities, and these cars would be a good start.

4) I thought Rut's in your face win parade was pretty funny cuz lets face it, he so rarely does. I really didn't see anything going on that my friends and I didn't do back in the day. And let's face it, it wasn't any worse than we've seen from Clarkson or Hammond.

5) I think with a pretty strong series in the bag, it might be time to spread the ol' wings a little and bring us something more international. This episode only drew 1.5 million viewers, but was 9th overall on its day: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/09/20/sunday-cable-real-housewives-of-new-jersey-up-breaking-bad-down-teen-dads-ice-road-truckers-more/104214/ so this is a pretty darn good showing.

Good work on the series overall folks!

3) I wonder what becomes of the Hollywood cars? Any chance we'll see plinths bearing them in the studio from now on? I think that's one thing this show hasn't yet done: recognize it's own history (no pun intended) in a tangible way. They've done a good job talking about past events (odd considering that it could possibly alienate new viewers who have no clue what they're talking about), but it's time to build up the 'trophies' from their activities, and these cars would be a good start.

Yeah, about the last episode in Season 1.......a clip show? Thats not how you should end a newbie series. It was more of a "pandering to our egos" rather than ending the series on a high note. How did they know they wouldn't survive a second season? As for trophies, I rarely have seen the hosts get emotionally attached to their cars. In fact, I can't even recall one instance where ANY host has show genuine compassion to their car. Or cars that have some sort of memorable qualities. All of the junkers so far, not one of them stands out from the rest. You can't attach a car that screams "Top Gear USA."

And for all we know, the cars are sent straight to the crusher due to liability concerns.

Last edited:
I rarely have seen the hosts get emotionally attached to their cars. In fact, I can't even recall one instance where ANY host has show genuine compassion to their car.

It all depends how you define "genuine". I think Rut's affection for the Roadmaster and the VW pickup was genuine.

All of the junkers so far, not one of them stands out from the rest. You can't attach a car that screams "Top Gear USA."

What about Adam's Crown Vic? Former cop car, former cab, present-day biohazard laboratory. And it's the only car that survived being Ferrara-ed. It should get a plinth for being an underappreciated American icon and for its survival at the hands of Adam (viz. the Hilux).

It all depends how you define "genuine". I think Rut's affection for the Roadmaster and the VW pickup was genuine.

Yeah, he bought one more Roadmaster after ruining the one on the show. He ruins a perfectly "acceptable" model, and rewards himself by buying another? What a fucking wanker.

In before ANTI-RUTLEDGE HATE MOMENT.

What about Adam's Crown Vic? Former cop car, former cab, present-day biohazard laboratory. And it's the only car that survived being Ferrara-ed. It should get a plinth for being an underappreciated American icon and for its survival at the hands of Adam (viz. the Hilux).

Memorable moment: Some guy mistakes it for a REAL cab. Not exactly groundbreaking.

Anyone can say "staged" as well? You have to be a complete ditz to even leave your backdoors open wide like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, he bought one more Roadmaster after ruining the one on the show. He ruins a perfectly "acceptable" model, and rewards himself by buying another? What a fucking wanker.

Yeah, because it was Rutledge's idea to fill the cars with water :rolleyes:

Quit being so whiny. If you don't like the show, quit watching it. You sound like one of those people who hate something and only do it so they can go online and complain about how bad it was. You must be a very happy person :)

Yeah, because it was Rutledge's idea to fill the cars with water :rolleyes:

Quit being so whiny. If you don't like the show, quit watching it. You sound like one of those people who hate something and only do it so they can go online and complain about how bad it was. You must be a very happy person :)

Yeah, he bought one more Roadmaster after ruining the one on the show. You have to be a complete ditz to even leave your backdoors open wide like that.

He didn't do anything to the car that he wasn't required to do for the episode, except perhaps try to get it up the steeper slope. Why not bitch about how TGUK ruined a perfectly good Hilux while you're at it? Hell, he even left it running if we're to believe the episode. That's a lot of hate for not a lot of reason you've packed in there Ice. You must let go of your hate before you are taken over by the Dark Side.

As for the unexpected fare, staged it might have been, but we have no idea of the car's condition. Perhaps the doors don't lock? Who would want to steal an old beater like that enough to require locking it? These and other questions must be answered before we should easily toss out the 'ditz' label.

This was the most UK like episode so far. The Stig played an important part in the episode and the final challenge was the same as the one used in TGUK. I like it except the guest he was kind of annoying...
8 from me.

It started, ran and stopped. What more does any car need to do really?

Rust on the Hilux or not, it doesn't address my point: Rut did nothing to the Roadmaster that he wasn't supposed to do in the show. Your comments make no logical sense. He's a wanker for doing his job, and then being impressed with the car enough to buy one for himself? WTF?!

I might be wrong, but I think this is the first time the Stig and Tanner have been shown in a single frame together. I guess that proves he isn't the Stig.

I would have liked to have seen TF drive the Trans-Am or something with a better chance against the Camaro, but I guess since this is the first episode featuring Stig in a challenge it would have made him look bad if Tanner gave him a run for his money.

I might be wrong, but I think this is the first time the Stig and Tanner have been shown in a single frame together. I guess that proves he isn't the Stig.

I would have liked to have seen TF drive the Trans-Am or something with a better chance against the Camaro, but I guess since this is the first episode featuring Stig in a challenge it would have made him look bad if Tanner gave him a run for his money.

Didn't the Stig drive the police car in the last challenge of the moonshine episode back in season one?

Didn't the Stig drive the police car in the last challenge of the moonshine episode back in season one?
He did.

And Adam didn't destroy the Duster, either. Hell, if I were him, I'd have turned around and bought the Duster from the Beeb after filming was over, then arranged to freshen up the suspension and brakes and replace the lump with, say, a 318 Hemi or a 360 with*out* the horrible power-sucking 1973 emissions control gear, and he'd have a pretty damn nice little baby-General for canyon-carving.

Heh, I enjoyed the race until I realized they were using two completely different bikes. At about 19:54 you see the bike changes from a Blue Yamaha YZ250, to a Black Honda CRF250 4-stroke (twin exhaust pipes, and the bikes sound very different if you listen carefully). I mean I know these races routes are all planned out so the finish is usually close, but the two different bikes basically means it wasn't even a race at all. Kind of ruined the race for me, rest of the episode was pretty decent though.

Heh, I enjoyed the race until I realized they were using two completely different bikes. At about 19:54 you see the bike changes from a Blue Yamaha YZ250, to a Black Honda CRF250 4-stroke (twin exhaust pipes, and the bikes sound very different if you listen carefully). I mean I know these races routes are all planned out so the finish is usually close, but the two different bikes basically means it wasn't even a race at all. Kind of ruined the race for me, rest of the episode was pretty decent though.

Well if you go by how top gear UK races are filmed, the results are real they just go back and film different bits. So the race could of finished how they showed it and they couldn't get the same rider + his bike for a few shots so they improvised and used a different one.

I'm not going to comment on the "truthiness" of anything Top Gear. The community here gets all caught up in debates between distrust - proving how it's all fake - and trust - idolizing the makers and how they "race and then go back." Whatever. If they filmed it in real time, it would be as interesting as something on YouTube. The difference between a good motion picture and a bad one lies not just the skills of the makers, but in the time spent in production. One hour of filming and one day of planning per minute of TV, or one day of filming and one month of planning per minute of movie, were the proportions I was taught to expect in film school. Sure, production companies that have worked together for years can cut that in half or even better, but we as viewers only see the product, not the hours. I think that TGUS is amazingly ahead of the curve in connecting with an audience and entertaining that audience. They may have run over time, and lost the light, and had to come back the next day with a different bike, in order to finish a "race." But, It was still good TV.

That's the important thing. It's good TV, and it makes me wish I have an Impreza, while making me sad that the mid-70's Dusters that were heavily modified for drag racing (in my mid-80s high-school years) are all but forgotten.

for a good time call Tanner :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
turbo:that was easy!
what,are you making popcorn
does your daughter know you have all her toys in your car
I like Adam's choice of cars: there's something about the silhouette of the old American cars, they are perfectly proportioned with the long bonnets and low roof line...
Tanner does look like Michael J Fox...I didn't know where I had seen his face before :))
Rutledge's Pontiac sounds like KITT should have:instead of the British voice they should have used V8.

Last edited:
Well if you go by how top gear UK races are filmed, the results are real they just go back and film different bits. So the race could of finished how they showed it and they couldn't get the same rider + his bike for a few shots so they improvised and used a different one.

At least with the British version, they try to maintain some distinct continuity and make it truly believable. The Veyron race against the plane looked seamless and well filmed, with no jarring continuity errors. Even after the revelation that had to go back and film some scenes, it still looks wonderful.