[02x08] September 18th, 2011

[02x08] September 18th, 2011

• Total voters
It felt seamless and 'continued' to me; of course, with three kids I'm not into motorcycles, so I never noticed that they used two different bikes. So this talk of 'jarring continuity errors" just sounds like more useless whining. If this is the best criticism of the episode you have, then it must have been pretty good eh?

exactly, unless you are into dirt bikes (I'm not) you wont really notice the difference, I didn't until you posted about it. and the veyron race when they take off from Italy James says over the radio where they will be landing in France so it was already known that they wouldn't fly into the England. My point is both versions have some errors with continuity but if you watch it for what it is an entertainment program its not a big deal.

and the veyron race when they take off from Italy James says over the radio where they will be landing in France so it was already known that they wouldn't fly into the England.

Because James May isn't qualified to fly at night, which (even staged) is a plausible excuse.

If this is the best criticism of the episode you have, then it must have been pretty good eh?

What kind of logic is that? I made a post that ripped into the episode ages ago. And only now you focus on one rant?

Last edited:
The Veyron race against the plane looked seamless and well filmed, with no jarring continuity errors.

Bullshit, as has been cited by numerous people on this board. What remizak has cited is something I brought to people's attention: when James took off from Cuneo, he gave his destination to air traffic control as St. Etienne. Therefore, the whole "we've got to pull over and get fuel" routine was nonsense. remizak wasn't talking about James landing in Lille because he "can't fly at night". However, if you believe that was the real reason for landing in Lille...oh, by the way, someone here noticed that the airport in Lille bears an incredible resemblance to the airport in Cuneo...and not the fact that the plane would have won by a good hour and a half if they'd been able to fly into London City Airport, you're more brain-dead than everyone here already believes you are.

Even after the revelation that had to go back and film some scenes, it still looks wonderful.

It's also the easiest race to disillusion you if you look close. I'll never forgive them for making James look like a moron and Richard like a peevish twat.

Last edited:
The voice of KITT was William Daniels (he played a surgeon on St. Elsewhere). He was born in Brooklyn, New York. He has a snotty accent, not a British accent. Although many British accents sound snotty.

Also, there was no such thing as a 318 Hemi. You can custom build a 318 Hemi today, but the 1960s - 1970s Mopar V8s were 318, 340, 383, 426 Hemi and 440.

It felt seamless and 'continued' to me; of course, with three kids I'm not into motorcycles, so I never noticed that they used two different bikes. So this talk of 'jarring continuity errors" just sounds like more useless whining. If this is the best criticism of the episode you have, then it must have been pretty good eh?
Like I said, I thought the rest of the ep was pretty good. It's really no different if they had used two different cars during a race, to the average viewer they may have not even noticed, but you bet most of FinalGear would have. I just happen to know a bit about dirtbikes, and that part really stuck out to me.

I voted 10. I have no complaints. Great entertainment. I laughed a lot, they looked like they were having fun, and the Impreza WRX segment was cool.

I found it reasonably entertaining and it's also nice to see the hosts meshing more naturally. They might be rehashing old TGUK storylines, but they're getting better at hiding that fact with some home grown spontaneity for those of us who've seen the original.

One peeve with US 'live in the street' TV though - what's with the fuzzing out of faces, store signs, and the writing on everyone's T shirt and hat? It's annoying on Mythbusters when they do the same - saw them try to hide the Porsche badges on what's quite obviously a Porsche! I guess they can't go that far on TGUS, but it's still distracting when your eyes lock onto these blobs and your brain insists on making an attempt to decode the pixels, instead of making sense of the action which itself is often behind the on-screen banners and channel logo. Grrr!

One peeve with US 'live in the street' TV though - what's with the fuzzing out of faces, store signs, and the writing on everyone's T shirt and hat?

Welcome to America, the Land of the Lawsuit. They essentially have two choices: whip out the blurcles or get releases from everyone and everything that's mentioned. Otherwise, they could get hauled into court for filming someone without permission or non-payment of residuals.

If someone is in a public place, legally any kind of expectation of privacy disappears (not counting say government buildings), hence why the Paparazzi can exist. You are correct that it's just History covering themselves, but they don't really have to do it. Any lawsuit would pretty much get thrown out too.

If someone is in a public place, legally any kind of expectation of privacy disappears (not counting say government buildings), hence why the Paparazzi can exist. You are correct that it's just History covering themselves, but they don't really have to do it. Any lawsuit would pretty much get thrown out too.

Except for two things: 1) US courts have shown that one's right to privacy is set on a sliding scale. If you are a public figure, your right to privacy decreases. A normal civilian filmed without a release could claim a violation of right to privacy. 2) The lawsuit may get thrown out, but it's still a waste of time and money and an unnecessary expense.

I figured it was 100% staged due to the Bike stopping for several seconds at the start of the big slope and - most importantly - jumping the Car at every crossing -> waaay to unlikely
Other than that good show - even liked the BSSC-Segment for once
In general quite an improvement from season1, I'm looking forward to the next

Last edited:
He did.

And Adam didn't destroy the Duster, either. Hell, if I were him, I'd have turned around and bought the Duster from the Beeb after filming was over, then arranged to freshen up the suspension and brakes and replace the lump with, say, a 318 Hemi or a 360 with*out* the horrible power-sucking 1973 emissions control gear, and he'd have a pretty damn nice little baby-General for canyon-carving.

Actually, I'd change the paint job. Blue with red sides, an STP on the hood, and a white number 43 on the sides.

If you're going to make an otaku car out of a Duster, may as well use a pattern that the Duster's already famous for, right?

Also, there was no such thing as a 318 Hemi. You can custom build a 318 Hemi today, but the 1960s - 1970s Mopar V8s were 318, 340, 383, 426 Hemi and 440.

Actually, there was--the old "Firepower 318" of the 50s was a Hemi. It's actually kind of hard to find now, since in the 70s, drag racers snapped them up from every source they could, including Chrysler Air Raid Sirens that were being decommissioned, and what's what I was thinking of. Basically, though, I meant a high-power small-block in place of the six-cylinder. Combine that is four-wheel discs and all-new suspension parts, and you've got something that would perform like the General did in a smaller package.

Actually, I'd change the paint job. Blue with red sides, an STP on the hood, and a white number 43 on the sides.

If you're going to make an otaku car out of a Duster, may as well use a pattern that the Duster's already famous for, right?
I don't recall the Pettys ever running a Duster--they weren't long enough to meet NASCAR rules. (NASCAR didn't adopt the 110" wheelbase until 1980, long after Mopar had left the sport.) In that era, the King was running Roadrunners and Superbirds...

What kind of logic is that? I made a post that ripped into the episode ages ago. And only now you focus on one rant?

I now focus on that rant because it is here, now. Your ripping post 'ages ago' I may not have seen, or felt the response to it was sufficient that I need not add my comments. Without knowing which post you refer to, it is difficult to determine why I did or did not respond as I did.

'Ages ago'?! Dude, you've been here a month and a half. I've got a week on you. We're still essentially n00bs.

Ages ago! Sheesh!

Actually, there was--the old "Firepower 318" of the 50s was a Hemi. It's actually kind of hard to find now, since in the 70s, drag racers snapped them up from every source they could, including Chrysler Air Raid Sirens that were being decommissioned, and what's what I was thinking of. Basically, though, I meant a high-power small-block in place of the six-cylinder. Combine that is four-wheel discs and all-new suspension parts, and you've got something that would perform like the General did in a smaller package.

I can't find any mention of a Firepower 318" anywhere. It' s real hard to find because it never existed. The Firepower Hemi was a 331.

Here's a list of all Chrysler Hemis: http://www.cowtownmopars.com/HemiSpecs.html#specs

This Chrysler Air Raid siren website refers to the engine as a 180 hp hemi that was first built in 1951. That would be the Firepower 331.

http://www.victorysiren.com/x/main.htm

Last edited:
There was a 315 Dodge engine in 1956, which was not a hemi engine unless ordered with the high performance D500 option: a 4 barrel carb and a Desoto hemi head. But yeah, no 318 hemi I'm afraid. Beech is right on that count. And this Dodge engine was called "Red Ram" and not "FirePower"; all of the Chrysler brands had a different name for their hemi engines. Incidentally, there were two other hemi engines released as Firepower engines, the 354 and the 392.

Possibly you're thinking about some other maker? Lots of companies have used the hemi concept on their motors (Chrysler may have it trademarked, but Ford was the first to use it I think). One of those other makers perhaps?

Either way, yes rdfox it would be a good idea to take a Duster and do as you've suggested, but not really feasible on a $2000 budget. After you've bought the car (probably most of your budget right there), a new V8 would cost about a grand or so and then someone would have to install it. Some how I doubt Adam could do that job himself. :)

I do wonder what these guys spent their budgets on? It looks mostly like some body work, paint and maybe some ducting and kid's toys. I don't really see $2000 worth of work. Well, except for Rut's Members Only jacket...

Either way, yes rdfox it would be a good idea to take a Duster and do as you've suggested, but not really feasible on a $2000 budget. After you've bought the car (probably most of your budget right there), a new V8 would cost about a grand or so and then someone would have to install it. Some how I doubt Adam could do that job himself. :)
My brain was toast on the 318/331 thing... somehow, I got "180 hp" into my head as "318 cid".

Anyhow, I was figuring that it would be something to do *after* the show, with the already-painted Duster and your own money... you could probably have it all done for under ten grand total.