[02x11] February 28th, 2012

[02x11] February 28th, 2012

• Total voters
Eight as per usual. Laugh-out-loud funny at some points. I wish we would have been able to see more of Rutledge OR Adam driving the Atom though.

Adam's deer in the headlight approach to handling skids was probably my favorite part. The training session he did was okay, but I felt they could have gotten more into the driving techniques themselves rather than simply focusing on Adam's progression. His lack of skid control also made me think it'd be cool if they got someone (maybe even Tanner) to give him some car control/skid recovery training.

Seems like Tanner's been teaching Adam some kind of car control.

Pretty good ep. Gave it a 9. I was on the floor when Tanner's hood popped up.

Also thought it was a nice coincidence that I drove my motorcycle next to an Atom on my way to work yesterday. That thing is just gnarly on the street. Also was the first time I saw someone drive it without a helmet. The dude did have a huge grin on his face though.

I see we have the typical haters coming here to vote just because these three blokes don't speak with an english accent.

I wish they hadn't glossed over Adam's segment. I think we missed a lot of good info about the cars and driving techniques in favor of watching Rut laugh. This show is good but it's definitely turning out to be light on education, heavy on antics. I think the UK one usually has a better balance. I'm entertained by watching the US one but I don't learn anything.

Solid 8 again. The exploding Corvair in the end was unnessesary though

Yeah they did, Rut said 475 but during the lap they said 575. Slip of the tongue?
AFAIK V8 Atoms have 507 hp, but American cars may have a different hp number?

They definitely did, which I assumed meant they tested the top-of-the-line version, while Adam drove a slightly detuned version. Didn't the one TG:UK tested last have 575hp? I remember it being over 500 for sure. Either way, seems like one of the two numbers was a misquote.

9/10

My favorite of the last 3 episodes. Tanners modifications were brilliant. Definitely one of the better episodes yet.

The Atom V8 comes in 475 and 500bhp tunes, this does say 475 on the intake. I'd guess the 500 tune comes with the funky spoiler kit. My point was, 575 is (so far, fingers crossed :burnrubber: :driving:) nonsense.

Liked the episode, although I have to say, I'm still not a fan of seeing those cars getting wrecked. They all seemed to be in quite nice shape at the beginning.

For the record, I like Corvairs, Pintos, and Samurais. I would happily own any one of the three.

Gave it a 7. Was gonna give it a 6, but I added a point for Tanner's hood flying up and Rut's choice of ballast for rebalancing his Corvair. Sadly, I just... didn't really like this one that much. Maybe it was because the Corvair looked to be in far too nice shape to destroy (and neither Adam nor Tanner have tweeted back to my asking if it had terminal body rot or anything yet), maybe because the Pinto (a post-fix model) going up was a bit too blatantly staged both times, but the main feature just rubbed me the wrong way, for some reason.

That said, I enjoyed BSSC--Mantegna's story was entertaining, and I got good chuckles out of Adam's comments on the rather... relaxed lap he took--and while the Atom/Adam/Said thing was, of course, a bit of a rehash of the May/Stewart film from TGUK, it was still done quite well, and I genuinely laughed at the way that Rut tortured Adam initially...

9/10, Although I may be biased towards watching older cars get modified (if that word applies) and then destroyed. My favorite episode thus far in the season.

Pros: I thought the challenges were great. I love that Tanner actually rolled that thing convincingly. And the obstacle course was nice.

Cons: Rut never has anything good to say when the others roll onto the scene in their vehicles. Just "wow." That's it. He could said something like, "...and no matter how dangerous the Corvair was, it's nowhere near as dangerous as being in whatever Adam is driving. While he's driving it. Or being close enough to see him driving anything larger than a tricycle."

I agree with those who would like more intelligent content on TGUS. I would have liked to see more driver training in the "teach Adam to drive" segment. More background on the lemon cars would have been welcome as well. I really liked the TGUK Saab segment. But I also understand that, at least mechanically speaking, you would have to dig pretty deep to find things that would be new to most of us. And they may be concerned about losing their larger audience at that point.

But the history is always nice.

Would have also liked to see some sort of performance testing / race of the three cars after the mods. I imagine passing or being passed would be tough in Rut's 9-foot-wide Corvair, and Tanner's Sammy would be even more ugly in the corners thanks to 200 lbs. of metal so high in the chassis.

Can I also say, I would love to see a challenge where the guys have to make the best track car possible, for $8k or so - including the car and all mods. Would love to see a Miata with an 6.0 LS V8 from a wrecked Silverado - stuff like that.

You know they would put some stuff together that would embarrass the newer cars under $50k.

240Z LS1, Ford Pinto with a MASSIVE turbo, Honda CRX SRT-4 (from wrecked Neon), etc.

Would love to see that. I really think the TGUK guys wasted their budget on the Avantime.

I quite like this episode so gave it 9/10. More laugh out loud moments than any other and huzzah for the Ariel Atom knocking down Tanner's Rallycross Fiesta. I loved the poetry of using Unsafe at Any Speed as ballast, the constant rear-ending of the Pinto (even if it was never going to explode) and Tanner's modifications were hilarious (reminiscent of Jeremy's modifications to the Reliant Robin).

I gave it an 8. The BSSC was also more interesting than previous episodes, that an old car Joe thought was no longer around, was recovered and restored. All in all, it kept my attention from start to finish. For the down side, the staged Pinto fire really didn't need to be there. Looking forward to next week.

One thing that broke my heart though...

6796422678_d4aee97bde_b.jpg

BMW E21 3-series in a scrap yard... :cry:

Personally, it gave me a boner. One down, too many more to go.

I liked this one a little better than I liked TGUK this week. Don't want to rehash the comments, because I'll just ditto them, but Mantegna is an acting hero of mine, so that put me in a good mood to enjoy the rest of the material. 7, definitely.

I liked it. I thought it was a funny challenge. I gave it an 8/10... although to be honest, I thought there would be more people whinging on how they destroyed that Corvair.