[03x01] August 14th, 2012

[03x01] August 14th, 2012

• Total voters
Loved it, some actual info about the cars, a unique adventure, and had some great segments (Stig outrunning the CVs in the minivan, the Corvette segment. especially the drive at the end).

The new format is crap. And poor production values on the last bit. Really, the tire marks in the slalom part really killed the "authenticity" of the race. Did they hire the same shitty producers and editors that does Ken Blocks "Gymkhana" vids?

Oh, obligatory "Fire Rutledge Wood" complaining.

Ah the troll came back.

The new format is crap. And poor production values on the last bit. Really, the tire marks in the slalom part really killed the "authenticity" of the race. Did they hire the same shitty producers and editors that does Ken Blocks "Gymkhana" vids?

Oh, obligatory "Fire Rutledge Wood" complaining.

I take it you don't watch the UK version, since you're all about programs with "authenticity"...

At least they bother to hide it and not make it stick out like a sore thumb.

I don't think you know this, but I too, watch the original Top Gear. And I have been for years. It sounds like your willingness to overlook the imperfections of the original in order to prove your justification of your "hate" of the US version. By the way, it seems more likely that you enjoy the US version, since you're willing to watch every episode and take your "precious" time to comment on almost every episode since the show premiered. Now I know that you once said that you never watched the show on TV, but you are willing to go ahead and download every episode to watch on your computer, that's showing us.

Now I really don't care that you're a closeted fan, but don't ever assume that I don't watch the UK show without a fine toothed comb either. Even my favorite movies have their obvious flaws, doesn't mean I'll stop watching them over and over again.

8/10

Pretty solid episode. Didn't like seeing the Crown Vics ruined, but I always hate seeing decent cars ruined for no good reason. The Z06 vs Bike race was awesome. I only realized that they cut the SIARPC/BSSC segment when the show ended and I didn't have that 5 minutes to go fix a snack or something. Very impressed.

I gave it a 5. The camera work throughout and driving in the final scene was amazing, but I felt the challenges were a bit of a wasted opportunity and funnier, more informative reviews of each car could have been done. I mean, why bother taking the cars to a test centre to do a 0-100-0 test, surely they could have done that at any old track?

I also don't like how they didn't make any mention of the caprices Holden connection. :p

Last edited:
I also don't like how they didn't make any mention of the caprices Holden connection.

May I suggest you (re-)watch the TGAUS episode where James Morrison told people in California that the Pontiac G8 was a Holden Commodore, concentrating on the people's reactions? It would only confuse most Americans. Most Americans don't know what a Vauxhall is, and only Americans of a certain age remember Opel. For most of us, GM is an American company. You get some funny reactions here when you tell people that a Chevy Aveo is a Daewoo.

I don't care about the Australian connection. If Rut had the wrong hand drive model GM offered California then it would matter more.

The other day, i was watching Rambo: First Blood, and the beginning chase scene reminded me of the Corvette chase of this episode.

I missed this one until now. Fantastic episode.

PS. was the Z06 on slicks? Which explains why the car feels so much more grippy than the bike

Cars have more grip than bikes. As mentioned in the show having not only bigger tires, but also two more of them translates to more grip.

4 tires of grip helps not only in the turns, but braking, too.