[03x03] August 28th, 2012

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
As usual, please stay on-topic. :)

Outrageously entertaining. I didn't know whether to make fun of the presenters in the advertisement agency or feel bad for them. That part seemed sort of tacked on though.

The double-decker racing seemed a lot more fun and exciting than either of the times the UK guys did it. I wish that the Stig would have been behind one of the two vehicles they had to "dodge" though.

Also, once again, the commercial break placing is, there's no other word for it, terrible.

I gave it a solid 7. The ad agency bit seemed like a waste and dragged the entire episode down a bit. But the rest was good.

I gave it a solid 7. The ad agency bit seemed like a waste and dragged the entire episode down a bit. But the rest was good.
Yeah I didn't really get that part. They just listened but never gave any ideas. They just replied with 3 different ways of saying "that sucks."

Nice twist for bringing in guests, make them part of a challenge. I also like the idea of bringing on movie cars. Maybe they can expand on that and start a powerlap board for them. Most are built for show, not performance but how awesome would it be to see the Tumbler going around the track driven by the Stig?

Nice twist for bringing in guests, make them part of a challenge. I also like the idea of bringing on movie cars. Maybe they can expand on that and start a powerlap board for them. Most are built for show, not performance but how awesome would it be to see the Tumbler going around the track driven by the Stig?

It was just a way to subtlety advertise for the movie but that's alright as it was a fun challenge, even if it wasn't all that original.

Didn't like the advertisement segment of the show.

On the other hand, the challenges set for the cars (ride quality with champagne, performance with dogs, torrential rain dryness) were amusing along with the BMW 10-series challenge.

The loonacy made up for the disappointment of the advertisement segment.

Overall, I would say 7/10

Yeah I didn't really get that part. They just listened but never gave any ideas. They just replied with 3 different ways of saying "that sucks."

What he said. :)

It was just a way to subtlety advertise for the movie but that's alright as it was a fun challenge, even if it wasn't all that original.
Yeah, that's why guests generally come on shows (at least in the US) - advertise a movie, book, whatever. It was entertaining, so I'm fine with it. I also loved the "10 series" idea - nice spin on the double-decker racing. :D

A solid 8. Would've been a nine if not for the ad agency segment (I fast forwarded through that bit).

I don't know why, but I laughed my ass off at the old guy in Tanner's ad saying that the place was a Chevy dealership.

Average episode: 5
Ad agency segment: -1
Commercials: -1
Interminable used-car-lot sequence: -1
Bavarian Manure Wagons being smashed to shit: +5
Rating: 7

I must say I've been enjoying the most recent TGUS episodes.

One think I dislike about TGUK is that real challenges are so few and far between. They get lost amongst the car reviews, the news, the interviews, laps around the track, and all the other "items." And all of these are pretty good, but my favorite component of any TG show is an interesting, fun, and ridiculous challenge. All the other things are easily covered by Motor Trend, Road and Track, etc. etc. The TGUS guys have been doing interesting challenges and having fun at it. And being pretty original too (yes, I said it). This is what you can't really get elsewhere - the real joy of Top Gear.

Just my two cents.

And I'm still waiting for either series to do a "Fastest Street-Legal Car Built for $7k" challenge. Or 9k, 5k, whatever. And I don't want to see them waste money on rims and brakes (ahem, Avantime challenge), I want to see salvage LS1's in Miata's and RX7's. I want to see big nasty turbos on Pinto's and CRX's. I want to see 12-second, street-legal cars cobbled together for cheap money. And reasonably good in corners as well.

That's my third cent

-John

I liked the idea of going back to cars that could have been good, but weren't. My old Catera springs to mind.

Didn't like the ad stuff, but I thought the commercials themselves were great. Tanner's was the best over all.

I gave it a 6

I got the impression that the "ad agency" thing was the re-interpretation of the Scirocco ad thing from TGUK. Didn't work then - didn't work now.

Did like the "forgotten classic" angle to the challenge. Rut buying the Merkur was a nice twist.

When they get around to the inevitable TGUK vs. TGUS episode, I'm thinking they might bring the 10-series with them. Either that or figure out a way to use a Pinto for the bottom configuration to scare the Brits.

I laughed a lot, therefore it got a 9. The ad agency I didn't think was that bad. The hosts' ideas were funny, but the ad guys were pretty terrible. At least it was fairly short.

When they get around to the inevitable TGUK vs. TGUS episode, I'm thinking they might bring the 10-series with them. Either that or figure out a way to use a Pinto for the bottom configuration to scare the Brits.
TGUK organised things so there were inverted cars on top for the Australian TG team in a UK vs Oz double decker race. In the UK they drive on the other side of the road, they sit on the other side of the car, and the US and UK face each other across a 'pond'. Using any of these weak excuses, I'd like to see the TGUK upper cars facing the opposite way to the lower cars :)

i think everyone has already said what need to be said. i gave it a 6.

I think this show has had a strong second season and what they are doing wrong now is not moving forward with the third season. Its missing something

Maybe it was not that great, but I was laughing the whole time and I liked the cars they picked. So I gave it a rare 9.

I want that Mekur!

I laughed a lot and generally thought it was a solid show. I hate the commercial breaks and re intro but that's a common problem for TV shows that have commercials.

I always wanted a Merkur as well ;)

Other than the advertising firm part I enjoyed this episode. I kinda liked how at the end Rut bought the Merkur.

Not bad, not bad at all. Had a few pacing issues perhaps, but overall it was a decent watch. Quite liked the field tests in this episode as well, especially the water hose test.