[03x03] - January 26, 2019 - Colombia Special Part 2

Rating?

• Total voters

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Part 2 is up. Hopefully its better

Their reactions seemed much more genuine for part 2 - or at least like they were having a bit more fun... that’s good. The scene where they talk about their cars toward the end of the special was fantastic as always, they had a real passion for their cars that wasn’t conveyed well throughout the whole special. But they are continuing the trend (in the newer specials at least) of not doing the stunning scenery justice by using it as a backdrop for their terrible, forced comedy. Damn shame, they can do better.

Better than nothing I suppose !

(side notes)
-Anyone notice how this is like a shit version of the bolivia special ?
-Very cute bear, that’s a positive
-When I say the scenery is stunning, I really mean it. Amazing country and amazing cinematography!
-1300 miles, really? Is that their longest yet ? Certainly didn’t feel like it
-Did like the cocaine gag, and the photo reel at the end

This episode was better but are they trying to do the Bolivia & Botswana special again because they sort of ruin it. They were few funny scenes but the rest was okay. The animals, birds & the scenery were beautiful.

10/10

For the hummingbird scene alone :)

Better than the 1st part for sure.
Overall this Colombian special was alright, and it was a tiny bit better than Namibia.
But i'm going to be honest: On these (GT) specials, I felt very sad when I reached the end.
I don't know but there's something missing from these trips.
Yes they've got great scenery, and a few seconds/minutes of entertaining bits, but it's very bland most of the time.
Many say the Indian Special was the worse the trio had done (not including the GT ones), and I agree, but compared to the new specials of the GT (season 1,2,3), I enjoyed it so much more, than these GT specials combined.
Sometimes I wished Jeremy hadn't punched the producer.
God dammit Jeremy...

Better than first one. Honestly, I'm not sure why this was a two parter. I'm quite surprised how much Jeremy liked his Wrangler. Loooooovvvvved the little Panda and how it did so well. Was funny to see that yes, lifted pickup trucks are stupid and only put more stress on components. Sure, that CV-axle (or whatever they're called) could have been on the way out but still. That truck worked exactly as well as I would have expected.

Last edited:
They've run out of Earth. There really isn't anywhere they can go which won't look like some other place they've been. It'd be neat if they tried something historical, like driving the Silk Road in turbo charged Yugos, or following the conquest of Alexander in classic Cadillacs.

They've run out of Earth. There really isn't anywhere they can go which won't look like some other place they've been. It'd be neat if they tried something historical, like driving the Silk Road in turbo charged Yugos, or following the conquest of Alexander in classic Cadillacs.
They have never done a cheap car challenge in Australia, just that modern GT one. Let’s see if they can get some old munted Euro car through the outback. Or, our car industry went through a massive change with the 2 stalwart manufactures closing down, so no more 4 door salons, Commodore and Falcons, being made, largely because all the buyers went to SUVs, bring back the big saloons and see if the old boys can still handle our deserts as well as the little suvs

They have never done a cheap car challenge in Australia, just that modern GT one. Let’s see if they can get some old munted Euro car through the outback. Or, our car industry went through a massive change with the 2 stalwart manufactures closing down, so no more 4 door salons, Commodore and Falcons, being made, largely because all the buyers went to SUVs, bring back the big saloons and see if the old boys can still handle our deserts as well as the little suvs

I'd want to see a hi-po ute challenge.

I've also been saying for a while that they need to do a trip across Russia. Moscow to Vladivostok. Or at least Moscow to the Ural mountains. Across roads that look like this:

r3Z4MbB.png
NaUXLbH.jpg
RQNcwtl.png

wYTGuk4.png

rb6Kjuu.png

NA9Z99N.png

3wPHMGp.png

52ZZSZy.png

EkNm4JQ.png

Well, in contrast to part 1 I didn't give up and skip, but I was bored enough to mostly look at my phone and chat instead of really watching.

4/10.

To be honest for a special part1+2 were quite disappointing - the by far best scene was with the hummingbirds, but pretty much everything else were kinda meh -> 4/10 from me
the infamous India special was way worse (around 2/10), but in a stile that gave it character. This special imo had nothing awful, but except for that hummingbird scene nothing (new) good either

Yes, something with purpose, a real challenge. Something that doesn't treat the viewer as a child.

All three are obviously bored of the show, sadly even James May is now done with Grand Tour. For the longest time James was the only legit, none fake, at least resembling an actual human being in every show. No more, James has completely given up. They are bored, can't be bothered to even pretend, and the result is predictable.

What's puzzling, most of every show is result of the efforts of production crew, writes, producers. The 3 old men simply have to deliver the lines! But they aren't able to even pull that off! How is it possible?
With such large budget, how do the Executive Producer not able to find and hire top production talent? It's the writers who have sank the show, writing is just awful, writing remains me of American TG of several years ago. Maybe Wilman thinks that GT is actually great? Maybe Wilman is unaware how bad GT is? Is it possible?

All travel shows have very similar set up -exotic location, high quality production, good script. Take Anthony Bourdain travel show, packaged as a food show, but in highest quality, on par with Top Gear classic years. Every Bourdain show of past 5 years beats Grand Tour, and beats it badly! So it is possible to produce a quality travel show.
Why can't Grand Tour? My guess - Andy Wilman is happy with GT, he thinks show is great, no improvement needed. But this is the same man who was behind classic TG years, hard to believe!

Or at least Moscow to the Ural mountains. Across roads that look like this
First of all, great post. Amazing pictures! :) And speaking of Ural, check out this Ural motorcycle I saw at the hospital a few weeks ago. Turns out the guy's wife had to bring the kids in their car, so I guess all he had was the bike. The roads were very icy under that thin layer of snow. Probably wasn't a fun ride. :p

ural_motorcycle_in_the_snow_by_ripplin_dcypebu-pre.jpg

ural_motorcycle_in_the_snow_2_by_ripplin_dcypemd-pre.jpg