[03x03] November 2nd, 2010

[03x03] November 2nd, 2010

• Total voters
Guests were responsible for this

[video=youtube;TdnAaQ0n5-8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdnAaQ0n5-8[/video]

I'm really glad there were people who enjoyed this episode.

I'm starting to think I'm just a grumpy old bastard. :)

I was bored pretty much through the entire ep. I skipped some of the caravan challenge cause that was just stupid. The Lambo review was good though, when he was talking about all the things that were removed, I was thinking, hell yea. The only thing I might want is the ceramic brakes, but other than that they can keep all the other heavy extras. The Caparo T1 seems like a really unreliable car, the Arieo Atom might be a bit slower, but it seems like it's a much better quality trackday car than the Caparo. Overall, 6/10 for this ep.

Lambo review was classic Steve, I really enjoyed it. Steve is easily the most polished presenter. I had no idea Lamborghini had released a LP550-2, so very on top of it!

Challenge this week was good. But where is the intro and the end of the piece? They are missing a key opportunity for comedy and chemistry here! Get them bagging eachothers cars and then introduce them at the start! Then the piece won't seem disjointed and it'll flow better. It makes no sense to break away and seperately introduce their cars before they start their part of the challenge.

Whoever is directing the studio pieces - keep your god damn hands away from the vision mixer! Why are we suddenly looking behind Andrew Hansen's head? THIS MAKES NO SENSE! Fire whoever is doing this. They don't know how to direct a studio, let alone pick the right shots. There's cameras randomly going all over the place... honestly, I could do a better job.

It's getting better, but it's not saying much...

OK now how do I say this? I know!

It is finally starting to really work.

And I love Shane J

Who invited warnie to do the test car work, just beacause he can afford to buy these cars,
and I think he may even own some of them, he is flat and monotoned in his speech.

Now if they had him talking using SMS (TEXT) on the screen now that would be funnish

Other wise I gave it an 8.5 rounded up like the supermarkets do to 9

Well done guys it had me laughing heaps, made my day.

frosty57

PS Did you see Shane stuff it up with the chassers he turned the card around with the times on it, idiot took some of the fun out of it.
Use the palm of your hand to write on if you really have too. Not a piece of 10 x 12 cardboard.

Last edited:
Wasn't that the car Jason Plato,or Jason Baked Potato as Jeremy called him,got burn't in a few years ago while filming for Fifth Gear ?

yes, and thanx for the laugh. i remember them saying that "potato" comment and you made me laugh by bringing it back up! +1 sir

what the hell was the point of that Caparo film if they only fit 3 minutes (and who was the guy that drove)?

He is a good cricket player, who has recently done cricket commentary for channel 9 - They point 2 and 2 together and figured he'd make a good top gear presenter (and may have been in the running for one of the three hosts spots, but the backlash when he was mentioned made 9 rethink). He just has zero presenting skills, but I think these bits might've been pre-filmed, so they figure they need to use them.

Everyone will be happier once they are done.

edit - I was not in a particuarly fit state to watch this, because of a little bit of horse racing during the afternoon, so no voting from me this week.

Last edited:
I'm really glad there were people who enjoyed this episode.

I'm starting to think I'm just a grumpy old bastard. :)

You're not Icedvovo. I agree with your assessment completely. The show looks better so far this series (and is clearly better funded), but it still lacks any of the great storytelling skills that make TopGearUK so much fun to watch.

The other thing that strikes me the more I see it is that Shane Jacobsen is an angry man ? and probably in real life too. Where's the fun in that? Leaves me cold.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it.
The caravans had me cracking up. And I liked the lambo bit aswell. Chasers meh. Why in the bloody hell is Warne on there? He isn't funny and his bit lasted like a minute... just leave it out, it wasnt worth it.
Now I am starting to think they are getting better. Obviously they cant appeal to everyone, and from reading through the thread they havent. Some like extensive views and some like the stupid funny stuff (like me). I think they are compensating for both sides well enough though and can only see them getting better.
.. as long as Warne gets the F*** outta there ..
Oh and those commercials had me tearing my hair out every 5 minutes.. GAH

Shane Warne,one of Australias greatest ever cricketers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Warne

Great cricketer but a shit of a human being.He'll root anything with a pulse.

Now, now Ruddeger, don't jump to conclusions..... I'm sure he'd root all sorts of things without a pulse too. :p

BTW, the same foreigners you are explaining Shane Warne to also won't know what "root" means in Aussie slang. :rolleyes:

If the news is anything to go by though, our sporting teams (mainly AFL and NRL) love to root non-players, a lot.

Hmm!

Sadly this is a bit more interesting than TGA...lol

Bruce still doesn't do a good job with the guest segment, but I thought the three of them together have good chemistry.

I had no idea Lamborghini had released a LP550-2, so very on top of it!
I believe that's model number for the Balboni.

I can see the show getting better and more polished. The Lambo review was informaive and well thought out, and the grey nomad challenge was at least entertaining.

Loved the Lambo review. I feel they could have gone a little bit further with the pizza delivery angle, but on the whole it was informative and funny.

The grey nomad bit was fun, and had lots of potential. It needed a little more polish though. I feel that they should have done the 4WD track later in the segment, having shown some on road driving first. The caravans were destroyed before they had done anything with them.

I hope that is the last we see of Warne.

The problem I have with the aussie challenges is that the producer/editor is obviously not a UK top gear fan, there is no big reveal where each drives up in the car they proudly purchased, it seems too staged and boring, no real passion for the cars they have.

The caravans were trashed before they'd even had any sort of road trip, surly that sort of test should have happened towards the end of the segment?

This is the 2nd time they've had Shane Warne on in as many weeks and both times i've feel asleep in front of the TV not long into his segment.

Shane might seem like a celeb to the poms but he's pretty despised amongst members of every car club i'm associated with, wonder if the producers do any research or they have to select from "Eddies Mates" tallest pool. If only they could find someone fresh and not a washed up sports person/celeb or V8 driver.

I can't comment on the rest of the episode because I was snoring away.

The problem I have with the aussie challenges is that the producer/editor is obviously not a UK top gear fan, there is no big reveal where each drives up in the car they proudly purchased, it seems too staged and boring, no real passion for the cars they have.

No, the problem is that the producer/editor IS a TGUK fan. They're trying, in an almost slavish fashion, to replicate the TGUK format (I wonder if there's pressure on them to do so from the BBC, Andy, and/or Jeremy). The problem here is that, due to the commercials, they have a lot less time to work with. Thus, things have to be cut in order to make sure that everything that's necessary (Power Laps, review segments, SIARPU, etc.) gets in. Thus, we get Top Gear Australia Scuderia, where we can see where all the weight's been saved. The intro segment for car challenges is an obvious place to cut for time; why do a reveal when a voiceover will do? They're self-justified in doing so by thinking that those intro segments simply bore the casual audience that they want to attract due to the potential for them becoming MEGO info-dumps. For them, too little information is better than too much. I'm not trying to justify their decision, but I am saying that I can understand it. I don't like it, but I can understand it.

If you want a good comparison, try to find a BBC World/BBC America edit of TGUK (they can be found, especially the early seasons). They're as disjointed and choppy as TGAUS.

Last edited: