[03x04] September 4th, 2012

[03x04] September 4th, 2012

• Total voters
Probably the best episode (in my opinion) of the season so far. The fuel economy challenge was a lot of fun and a bit different from the Blackpool race, which was cool; and the kayak race had some great cinematography.

The commercial breaks are still complete garbage though.

Last edited:
The commercial breaks and the recaps are the things I dislike about TGUS. Its not necessary to recap 4 times. It takes time away from the episode. Also, I wish they do a car review or something, instead of all these challenges and fooling around.

Just why didn't Tanner use a Diesel 5-Series? I mean he had to play the race driver again - but I'm pretty sure a 530d could do donuts as well^^

Just why didn't Tanner use a Diesel 5-Series? I mean he had to play the race driver again - but I'm pretty sure a 530d could do donuts as well^^
Uh... because it's the American Top Gear, where the diesel 5 series isn't available? That's not "Tanner playing race driver", that's "different cars available on a different continent".

Last edited:

Buddy, think -> verify -> post ;).

US of A. Next to no diesel-BMW over there. Currently only one that I am aware off, and its not an F10.

Last edited:
Nope, I think with the F30 on the market its down to the X5 35d (which is still just a 30d basically, being the singleturbo 265hp version). The F30 doesn't even come as 35d in germany yet.

The 528i gets better fuel economy than the X5 35d. As for the 335d, it's not listed on BMW's US website anymore.

We know for sure that Rutledge went out and bought his Passat, but I'd bet that the other two cars were provided for the challenge by their respective manufacturers (BMW and whatever CNG converter did the F350).

If Tanner really wanted to drive a 335d, he'd probably have had to go out and buy it, because BMW most likely wants buyers to forget the old model 3-series and therefore wouldn't provide a 335d.

When I remember watching the original UK challenge, it was a bit winded and most of it lacked any real entertainment for most of the episode. The guys nailed this one in the short amout of time they have. Even with History getting them new cars, Rutledge still went out of his way and got an older model Jetta TDI instead of a brand new one. I wouldn't be surprised if he kept this one as well.

Overall, great episode all the way.

I thought this was a great episode, probably better than the Blackpool race of TGUK. Probably because the cars, at least at first glance, looked like they stood no chance in hell of making it, especially Adam's truck.

Probably one of the reasons why the show is getting better is because the interaction between the three hosts seems more natural rather than forced like in the first season. Now we just need to have History work on those post-commercial recaps. I understand why they have them (a lot of other networks do it as well), but they really need to work on condencing them so they don't take so much of the show's time...

8/10

Great episode. Top Gear U.S. is hitting its stride. So far it's the best export.

I wish they do a car review or something, instead of all these challenges and fooling around.

I agree with this... the show's been a bit light on information for my taste, especially this season :|

It's entertaining I guess, but it won't keep my interest for long if it's not going to be about cars. I can't recall a single thing being said about any of the cars in this episode, other than a spec or two! I don't see much point in watching the same three people drive cars every week if they're not even going to talk about them, their personalities, their quirks, their histories, what they're like to drive, etc. When there's nothing to the show except the challenge, and the challenge is entirely scripted, it's not much of a show...

If they're going to stay with this challenge format maybe they should go unscripted, drop the hosts, and have different contestants coming in every week.

Hrm. I think I remember something about that. It seems like this person does too, as does this one. Reading must be hard.

Nah, the idiot was talking about 04x04, not the Basel-to-Blackpool race in 12x04...

...oh, wait, that means that TGUK ripped off itself. No, no, no! That can't be possible! Only TGUS rips off TGUK!