[03x04] September 4th, 2012

[03x04] September 4th, 2012

• Total voters
And there he is, strangely a few days late.

Clearly you did not get the point of the challenge...

It's been asked numerous times before, but I have to ask again; if you hate the show so much (based on your "reviews"), why do you continue watching it?
I'm starting to think you should change your username to "TheHateIsALie".

that's crazy just get any modern, european diesel car and do it easily, I do it every week with 55 mpg average

Also note that UK gallons are...roughly 20% larger than US Gallons. 55MPUKG is about 45.8MPUSG

- - - Updated - - -

Should've just gotten a Volt, a Prius, and a Leaf and do it that way. Also, Rutledge Wood was stupid in this episode once again.

Er...pay attention. They said right at the start of the episode that no US hybrid cars could do the trip, since they have such small gas tanks. Electric wouldn't work for obvious reasons, but i'll just assume you were trolling for a response.

Last edited:
I loved how Rut said they were racing to the Alameda naval base in San Francisco.... only its not in San Francisco, its in Alameda, across the bay. They never went to SF in this episode lol. Race at the end was great. The slo-mo shots of the kayaker were epic!

Should've just gotten a Volt, a Prius, and a Leaf and do it that way. Also, Rutledge Wood was stupid in this episode once again.

:rolleyes:

I liked it and gave it an 8. Using the F-350 for a gas mileage challenge was never expected, a great twist. The off-road Stig and the kayak scenes were awesome. It looked like Rut had a blast riding with Stig.

I loved how Rut said they were racing to the Alameda naval base in San Francisco.... only its not in San Francisco, its in Alameda, across the bay. They never went to SF in this episode lol. Race at the end was great. The slo-mo shots of the kayaker were epic!
Alameda is close enough to San Francisco to be called "San Francisco" to a national audience. The base is "in the San Francisco area". It's like the Cowboys Stadium, where the Dallas Cowboys play, which is actually in Arlington. It's like someone saying they're coming to "Houston" when they're actually going to Katy or Sugarland or Kingwood... None of those are actually Houston (neither the city limits nor what people in the area call "Houston"), but if you're more than about 100 miles away, it's still called "Houston". San Francisco is more recognizable as an area in California to a national audience.

If it weren't for Star Trek IV, I'd not recognize "Alameda" as a place.

So, yeah, maybe it wasn't San Francisco proper, but it's reasonable to say "San Francisco" to their audience.

To get to San Francisco Airport, you leve San Francisco, drive through Brisbane, Daly City, Colma, South San Francisco and San Bruno...but somehow the airport has a San Francisco zip and address. :dunno:

Last edited:
Alameda is close enough to San Francisco to be called "San Francisco" to a national audience. The base is "in the San Francisco area". It's like the Cowboys Stadium, where the Dallas Cowboys play, which is actually in Arlington. It's like someone saying they're coming to "Houston" when they're actually going to Katy or Sugarland or Kingwood... None of those are actually Houston (neither the city limits nor what people in the area call "Houston"), but if you're more than about 100 miles away, it's still called "Houston". San Francisco is more recognizable as an area in California to a national audience.

If it weren't for Star Trek IV, I'd not recognize "Alameda" as a place.

So, yeah, maybe it wasn't San Francisco proper, but it's reasonable to say "San Francisco" to their audience.

Eh, I suppose. Why not Oakland though?

I enjoyed your Star trek reference lol. Reminds me of the scene after they leave the (Monterey Bay Aquarium) and are walking by the marina next to Crissy Field when she asks them where they're headed and Kirk says "Back to San Francisco" when in fact they're already there ;)

To get to San Francisco Airport, you leve San Francisco, drive through Brisbane, Daly City, Colma and San Bruno...but somehow the airport has a San Francisco zip and address. :dunno:

Part of the airport is in "South" San Francisco

To get to San Francisco Airport, you leve San Francisco, drive through Brisbane, Daly City, Colma, South San Francisco and San Bruno...but somehow the airport has a San Francisco zip and address. :dunno:
The DFW airport (Dallas/Fort Worth) is somewhere around Grapevine or Irving, north of Arlington, yet has a Dallas address. It's on "East Airport Drive," despite being west of the center of Dallas with that Dallas address.

Eh, I suppose. Why not Oakland though?
Because that's still the , and "San Francisco" is more immediately recognizable. :)

I enjoyed your Star trek reference lol. Reminds me of the scene after they leave the (Monterey Bay Aquarium) and are walking by the marina next to Crissy Field when she asks them where they're headed and Kirk says "Back to San Francisco" when in fact they're already there ;)
The "Vhere are the nuclear wessels?" and "Where's the naval base in Alameda?" "Oh, I dunno if I know the answer to that, I think it's across the bay, in Alameda," will forever be in my head.

But that's not how streets within a city are typically named. East of a designated centerline in downtown is east so-and-so, and west of the centerline is west so-and-so. It's west of Dallas, so it's violating that standard practice, as well. I'm just pointing out different features which don't follow other standard naming conventions.

best episode so far, i always thougt you could get a 530d or something like that in usa
apperently not
f350 was a surprise, but why not get a diesel truck??
is there f150 with a v6 diesel or similar i'n pretty sure it would do better than f350 even if it has two tanks

I agree with this... the show's been a bit light on information for my taste, especially this season :|

It's entertaining I guess, but it won't keep my interest for long if it's not going to be about cars. I can't recall a single thing being said about any of the cars in this episode, other than a spec or two! I don't see much point in watching the same three people drive cars every week if they're not even going to talk about them, their personalities, their quirks, their histories, what they're like to drive, etc. When there's nothing to the show except the challenge, and the challenge is entirely scripted, it's not much of a show...

If they're going to stay with this challenge format maybe they should go unscripted, drop the hosts, and have different contestants coming in every week.

I agree with this as well. Four episodes of fooling around is too much for me. Review a car already.