[03x05] September 18th, 2012

[03x05] September 18th, 2012

• Total voters
I liked it, a whole lot. Totally didn't expect the cow falling out, or the barn falling off. I also like how the presenters are continually picking on each other.

On another note, they actually cut to commercial break at a decent time during the Aventador test! The look on his face when he launched the car from a stop in the beginning - priceless.

Some of the best in car camera footage of the Aventador I have seen, but that is where it ends for me.

Though the guys have much better chemistry and social dialogue than they used to, I just can't stand the lack of content in this episode. Fun banter and Aventador aside, this was a complete throw away. They have been getting better and better since halfway through the second season but now this episode is just to much out of line. It may be good production value but not well targeted.

Really, I just want them to talk about cars and do stuff with cars. The challenges are fun but there has to be some meat to them. Tell me about the cars! And please, make it more than one car that has been out for a long time. My own hands on time with an Aventador has told me more than I got out of this. I didn't drive it, but being in one and hearing it tells me much more than the sparse stats that Tanner rattled off.

Some of the best in car camera footage of the Aventador I have seen, but that is where it ends for me.

Though the guys have much better chemistry and social dialogue than they used to, I just can't stand the lack of content in this episode. Fun banter and Aventador aside, this was a complete throw away. They have been getting better and better since halfway through the second season but now this episode is just to much out of line. It may be good production value but not well targeted.

Really, I just want them to talk about cars and do stuff with cars. The challenges are fun but there has to be some meat to them. Tell me about the cars! And please, make it more than one car that has been out for a long time. My own hands on time with an Aventador has told me more than I got out of this. I didn't drive it, but being in one and hearing it tells me much more than the sparse stats that Tanner rattled off.

They really need to expand the show to a 90 minute time slot so the actual episode is 60 minutes long. Right now the hour long show is 40 minutes of content, and with the recap after the commercials it's closer to 30-35 minutes, so like half a UK episode. There's no way they can compete like that.

Rutledge Wood should be arrested for animal abuse.

I didn't see him abusing an animal. What I did see is the gate falling off of the trailer and the calf walking/falling out.

What I will say is they shouldn't have been hauling calves in that POS trailer. The animals should have been better secured or at least padded with hay.

Okay, let's get the TGUK comparo out of the way: the FFW had a better pace with this one than the CHM, but was only slightly less spectacular. (Face it, it's going to be hard to top a tractor pulling a 747.)

Other advantage: FFW had less embarrassing attempts at getting a laugh than CHM. They managed to avoid the error of assuming that people would find them amusing doing non-internal-combustion-related stuff, badly.

Lambo-vs-duster: Tanner trying to engage the Lambo's trip computer looked like he borrowed Clarkson's joke writer; Clarkson could probably have delivered the line better. However, the camera editing and shots for the actual challenge were very impressive. It looks very much like the production crew's getting their act together with these versus challenges.

Rutledge Wood should be arrested for animal abuse.

Oh yea? Either man up and go make a citizen's arrest against him or keep hiding behind your computer...

I can't help but compare this episode with the UK's take on it. But honestly, this simply is an appple/oranges comparison, but I believe the US has upper hand on this one, a slight one. I must of seen thr original at least a dozen times, but I love the fact that the US can take insperation from the original and make it their own. I have yet to find anyone who can tell me why the US can't do what the UK has done, and I doubt our pathetic resident troll can me why either.

And the Lamborghini review/race, just more icing on the cake.

Gave it a 4. 3 for the lambo segment and 1 for all the rest.

Those were actually some pretty unusual machines and they wasted them in basically every way possible. Every task they did would have been done better by a pickup. I know it's not really about find the best tractor, but those are impressive machines so why did't they do something that would impress us?

As far as chemistry between the hosts, individually I like the guys, and they do have their moments. The problem is they don't sell the painfully obvious scripted moments very well and it's often obvious when they doing their shtick for the cameras. It took the Top Gear crew years before they became this transparent in their bits.

[video=youtube;Lzyd91NFx-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzyd91NFx-Y[/video]

What he said. ^
Gave it a 1, because there where no 0

Not sure how I feel about this episode. The tractor challenges were all over the place. There were things I liked and some that I didn't.

The race between the three tractors was entertaining.
Transporting the calves was MEH at best.
Reversing the trailer was alright, though I was a little disappointed with Adam and Rut for giving up so easily (I was expecting carnage).
Towing the trailers with various items down the road was a mixed bag of highs and lows. Tanner's barn collapse was probably the only highlight of that segment.

It wasn't horrible as I had a few laughs, but I think they could have done more. Personally, I think the UK boys did it a little better, especially with the "drag" race.

The Aventador vs. crop duster was great.

6/10

Last edited:
Every task they did would have been done better by a pickup.

But then people would be on this forum complaining about ANOTHER pickup truck episode. :p Though it would have been funny to see them doing the challenges with absolute base model V6's.* Tanner would lose his mind.

* I haven't driven a F-150 with the 3.7L yet though it sounds like it would tear GM and Dodge's base truck V6's a new one head-to-head.

I like it a lot. Thought this episode was really funny. I gave it a solid 8.

I caught some of this, and it didn't get above pathetic for me. I'm tired of the TGUK retreads.

Meh, so so... it went on too long ...
too much tractors and not enough Lambo...

did not expect the cow to fall out, but the house crashing down was an easy spot from miles away

Rutledge Wood needs to be sued and blacklisted for making such false statements about all Californians having guns. And he's the "Expert?" More like LIAR!!