[03x06] September 25th, 2012

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Please stay on-topic. :)

I honestly can't compare this to anything that Top Gear UK has done in recent memory. Possibly the Botswana special, but even that's pushing it really far.

It was a lot of fun, but what Adam did to his car was rather ridiculous.

Rutledge totally won though, just saying.

Was pretty entertaining.

Yes, the basic idea behind it - and I really do mean BASIC - is from the Botswana special (off-roading in regular 2WD cars), but that's really the only similarity I can find with the UK show.

How the little Toyota managed to survive that is beyond me, because from what I could see there were several instances where most of the car's weight was being supported by the floorpan as it slid down the rocks (how did it not tear up the brake and fuel lines?).

...now that I think about it, this goes for the Mustang as well.

I thought the land anchor was going to let go at some point while Tanner was winching the Town Car down the cliff.

The destruction of the Mustang was pretty stupid, I'll admit. As soon as I saw that wing on the roof I immediately thought, "bye-bye Mustang." How Adam thought that it was even remotely close to a good idea is beyond me.

I guess one of the cars had to bite the dust for "entertainment" value...

Overall this was an entertaining episode, though I have to deduct points for the ridiculously hopeless Mustang glider stunt.

7/10

I honestly can't compare this to anything that Top Gear UK has done in recent memory. Possibly the Botswana special, but even that's pushing it really far.

Hey, thanks for the help!! Didn't think of that.

Sexual innuendo list for this episode:

Adam: "For fifty bucks he should be yanking you harder than that!"

Adam: "Three-wide into the mud."

Last edited:
Decent episode. Technically Rut won, but he sucked most of the way and then cheated at the end. Was sad to see Adam fuck up the end in his stereotypical fashion. I would have rather that Tanner helped them down with his winch and charged them an arm and a leg.

In any case, Tanner was the true winner. He never got stuck, made it down A FUCKING CLIFF by himself, and helped the other two constantly.

Also, this does bear some similarity to the TGUK Botswana special, but I think it's closer to the India special with the offroad-equipped Jag, Rolls, and Mini.

Last edited:
Okay, well, a weird sort of combination of the Botswana and India specials.

The miracle is, we're now talking about "who won" as opposed to "this crew sucks." They've definitely found their footing here.

I'm now debating as to who would win in the "dumb ideas" category: Adam, or the Hamster. And I will admit to a perverse sort of enjoyment of the Mustang's final fate, and its execution (that it hit the castle was definitely something I don't think the crew could have predicted).

Loved it. I can watch this over and over again, and that's exactly what shows like these always need.

At first I was like "oh great, a Botswana special" but no, it was really fun! 2 moments made me laugh out loud: Rut and the "mud" pit, and the Mustang glider XD

8/10 from me. I think this season was above average at best, but this episode here stands out among the others :)

I think this is one of a few episodes were I laughed out loud a bit. I gave it an 8 for good effort and the idea of a big adventure. There is still a lack of story or narrative and more just that feeling of, here is a bigger task than normal and it has some smaller events through out it that are pretty daunting. Don't get me wrong, I think it was good, and pretty well pulled of, but I am still missing a little something. However, the day that I rate a show a 10 is probably the same day that I go out and buy the dvd.

Last edited:
The cars they selected didn't seem like your average rental cars to me. When I hear rental car, I think Impala, Malibu, and Aveo, not a Towncar, Mustang, and Yaris.

Rental cars vary from agency to agency, but Hertz currently has the Mustang V6 and Town Car on their website.

It depends on the rental company, though those three cars seem to be among the most common (quick look online shows that a lot of rental companies have the Yaris, Mustang, and/or Town Car available).

Granted, the Impala, Malibu, and Aveo are also pretty popular rentals...

[EDIT] I need to learn to type faster. :p

Absolutely no redeeming value to this episode. That said, I gave it an 8 simply because it reminded me of the times when on vacation I abus.....I mean DROVE a rental car.

Just hilarious.

I really loved this episode. I LOL'd a few times thinking I wish I did something like that myself. Rut definitely won the challenge in my opinion just because he made it in one side and out the other in a tennis ball car.

I now realize why I have been told never to buy a used rental car - they get more air time than a skateboard at a skate park...

Thought it was more entertaining than the last two episodes. Pretty crazy what they managed to do in those cars.

Wish they would have actually rented them though. I'm sure they could have worked out a deal with one of the companies to play along.