[03x08] February 5th, 2013

[03x08] February 5th, 2013

• Total voters
Given it's on commercial television, I don't see them ditching the recaps anytime soon, as annoying as they may be.

Talking of which, does anyone here own either of the first two seasons on DVD? Or have watched on BBC Three? If so, are the episodes edited differently to get rid of the recaps?

I gave it an 8. I watch TGUS for it's entertainment value, so far it has delivered. The presenters have gelled well and the challenges (mostly) have been entertaining. As for car reviews, personally, I'll read Motor Trend if I want them.

Talking of which, does anyone here own either of the first two seasons on DVD? Or have watched on BBC Three? If so, are the episodes edited differently to get rid of the recaps?

I own the first season on DVD. It's been awhile since I watched it, but IIRC the episodes still contain the recaps. Don't know if the second season DVD is any different - it won't be released for another couple of weeks.

Gave it an 8. Much better than last week, and better than the TGUK from last week too.

ETA: Tanner's 5'10"? On what planet?

He looks short compared to Adam and Rut but Adam is 6' 1" and Rut is 6' 4". They're both just tall.

As for the AMG test, I'm sure the drone had eyes on Tanner the entire time he thought he was hiding in the forest which is why the two scout heli's re-acquired him so quickly.

That drone was an RQ-5 which is actually pretty terrible at finding stuff hidden in the woods. I'm suprised they were using at all since both of those Kiowa Warriors are ~10x more mission capable than the RQ-5

Last edited:
I give it a 7, which means "good." Heh. The challenges were decent, especially the no oil & water race, but I take points off for the Mercedes segment. It has been done in various ways so many times on all versions of the series and...whatever.

That drone was an RQ-5 which is actually pretty terrible at finding stuff hidden in the woods. I'm suprised they were using at all since both of those Kiowa Warriors are ~10x more mission capable than the RQ-5.

The advantage of the drone is to have an extra camera in the air both for visual and infrared. They might lose him on the visual but as we saw, the hot SUV sticks out like a sore thumb on infrared. So while the Kiowa's are searching one area, the drone can be looking for abnormally hot things in another area.

Last edited:
Felt like I was watching bad episode of mythbusters or something half the time w/ this one

I give it a 7, which means "good." Heh. The challenges were decent, especially the no oil & water race, but I take points off for the Mercedes segment. It has been done in various ways so many times on all versions of the series and...whatever.

Aw shoot, and I went ahead and rated it a 9... I was so amused by the toughest car part, that I totally forgot the Mercedes G4N6$74 AMG part. I totally agree with you on this part except maybe I'd still rate it 8. You can just stop watching at this piont.
That Mercedes in this setting and with all his talk of military heritage should have been driven like a propper Gelendewagen... off fucking road.

Otherwise very very nice show for a US. Even the skillfully placed part of shooting holes unimportant places so the chars would better take the explosives.

Always nice to see the Caprice featured in Top Gear! It even had an interior near identical to the one I drive! Well, emphasis on "had". I don't mind the gimmick-heavy episodes myself, as I tend to like Top Gear better when it has a strong focus on individual cars, rather than a brand new car that hasn't had time ot really mature and gain character.