[03x08] February 5th, 2013

[03x08] February 5th, 2013

• Total voters
All in all, this was a great deal more fun than anything TGUK's done over the past two weeks. You can't do better than junkers, rifles, pyro, dropping cars from cranes, and a dirt obstacle course. Plus, no one can claim that this is a direct rip-off of something TGUK did, and considering that TGUK directly ripped off TGUS this week, that again makes this episode superior.

I'm giving it an 8 in order to counter-balance the intense over-rating that's occurred in the TGUK threads for those two sad-ass excuses for Top Gear.

ETA: Tanner's 5'10"? On what planet?

Last edited:
All in all, this was a great deal more fun than anything TGUK's done over the past two weeks. You can't do better than junkers, rifles, pyro, dropping cars from cranes, and a dirt obstacle course. Plus, no one can claim that this is a direct rip-off of something TGUK did, and considering that TGUK directly ripped off TGUS this week, that again makes this episode superior.

I'm giving it an 8 in order to counter-balance the intense over-rating that's occurred in the TGUK threads for those two sad-ass excuses for Top Gear.

I agree with everything you said. I watched the TGUK episode on Monday night and was severely disappointed. The jokes mostly fell flat, there was almost no information about any of the cars, and they didn't even tell us how they drive.

I was cracking up all the way through the TGUS episode last night, and they gave more information in a 10-minute drive of the G63 than TGUK did in an entire episode with 3 supercars, two of which were brand new. I enjoyed this TGUS episode more than either of the TGUK episodes so far, and by a lot.

Adam and Rutledge need to learn how to cheat. I'd like to see one of them do a neat challenge like the G63 race. Rutledge won that fuel economy thing but he didn't even get to drive the rally truck that much, and I don't think that Adam has had a legitimate test since the SLS AMG in Season 1.

Either way, great episode.

Last edited:
This episode is a fricken delight! Certainly alot better than the TGUK episode from the same week. The 101st airbourne chase of the G63 is simply stunning to watch, now I want a G-wagon! And yes, army chase idea is ripped off from TGUK but who cares, this one is executed quite well. Its amusing to see tanner get "taken in" by the soldiers lol

I gave it a 4 because I felt the challenges dragged on too much. This fooling around and demolition derby crap is really getting old. They seriously need to review some new cars instead of finding ways on destroying old beaters for cheap entertainment values. However, I did like the G63 chase against the military, that was fun to watch. Although, it was predictable Tanner was the one that was going to review and drive the G63. I still wished they had the Stig lap that SUV, as it seemed quick and agile during that challenge. That segment was the only saving grace for this episode...

I do like TGUS, but if its going down this path, no car reviews, no studio, and no stig laps...I don't know how much more I can take of this.

Last edited:
I think that (as other people have mentioned) the problem is with the sponsorship. I know I've seen "Brought to you by Mercedes-Benz" numerous times on the commercial breaks. What happens if they decide to Power Test a BMW M6 and find it to be better in every way than the Mercedes-Benz E-Class AMG Coupe (I personally have no idea either way)? Sponsorship gone, right?

It's probably the reason why they reviewed a G63 AMG as well. Isn't a Range Rover better and more modern?

it bugged me they destroyed those cars in that manner,but the last race(no oil) was actually great.

and of course the military bit. pretty cool.

also,didnt know tanner grew up in europe,though it explains a few things :)

Adam and Rutledge need to learn how to cheat.

I disagree.

Anyway, this was a very enjoyable watch. :nod: Mothership, take notes.

I liked the Stig's cameo

SEibTd4.jpg

I agree; this is much better than TGUK's offering.
Funnily enough, I'm not all that bothered by their dropping the live audience and the BSSG segments. They seem to have worked out a format that's more complementary to TGUK as opposed to a direct remake.

10 because...

A: the challenges were excellent

B: the G63 segment was well executed, and...

C: is for COROLLA and CHAMPION.:p

This was a lot better than Sunday's UK episode. The challenges were hilarious and the G63 review was really nicely shot. Gave it a 9.

The mothership feels kind of tired at the moment, like it's just trudging along (might have something to do with the long break between seasons), while TGUS still has that wide eyed innocence/wonderment of "They'll let us do that with cars?!". It makes for fun TV. I also don't miss the studio segments or the celebrity guests, because I always skip those parts any. It's better that the spend the extra 10/15 minutes on reviews/challenges.

i may be the only one tired of lets take old cars and beat them up...

Reactions: MPH
What's the point of trashing 20+ year old cars and then declaring the winner "America's toughest car"? It's not like I can buy a new '87 Corolla from my local Toyota dealer and what I can find in the classifieds is either a beater that won't pass inspection or a parts car.

As for the AMG test, I'm sure the drone had eyes on Tanner the entire time he thought he was hiding in the forest which is why the two scout heli's re-acquired him so quickly. I did laugh when he bitched about the G wagon never going off road but then proceeds to baby it and not drive it off road.

I thought it was a weak episode but it was not without it's entertainment value, the whole picking the toughest car in america thing seemed like an alternative take on the Toyota Hilux bit that Top Gear did but I think they sufficiently spun it enough to work for them I just don't like the format of the 3 hosts getting challenges and then the winner is given a challenge.
The Mercedes SUV bit was alright but I think it would have been better if they had just stuck it in the middle of the show to break up the challenges rather then make it the prize for the winner.

I thought it was extremely good fun. Had several laughs (the rear end jokes especially). The military challenge was really well done. Tanner's gotten quite good at presenting too, and he actually gave a decent amount of information about the G63, more than TGUK gave about their cars in the last episode. I'll watch this one again.

I don't mind their cheap car challenges at all, although considering they can and have done good reviews (Tanner's Porsche review), they should do some more once in a while. Also needs more Stig. Otherwise I generally like the format they have been using because the main challenge doesn't feel overly short and the "winner gets do this" balances they cheap car destruction with awesome cinematography and good music. I really wish they'd ditch the recaps though.