[04x01] September 3rd, 2013

[04x01] September 3rd, 2013

• Total voters
Decent episode. Wish there was more interaction between the guys as I think they do have some real chemistry growing between them. I also wish they would just do less scripted stuff.

I actually do like US Top Gear and where the show is heading. I gave the episode a solid 7/10.

Favorite quote (paraphrasing) "Like giving someone a pot of coffee and then having them sit still in a MRI." -Adam Ferrara

Oh man, I love this show... That was a great way to start the season, and the only reason I didn't give it a ten is because a cross country trip in supercars really deserves a two hour special. Hint hint, History. Hopefully there'll be more footage on the season 4 DVD.

I agree, it is hard to pack 3000 miles into 42 minutes. A two hour special with a lot more stops would have been amazing. That said what we did get to see was pretty darn good. Loved the look of the Amish guy getting a ride in the Lamborghini. Who hasn't dreamed of flooring it through a tunnel, let alone Eisenhower Tunnel. Honestly I'm surprised they got to do that with how bumpy it is. Best part is that they ended up in my town, Venice. I live just down the street from the pier.

I was going to give it an 8 but the nut punch at the end raises it to a 9 as well having Dolph show up. Well done TG:US. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Last edited:
When Dolf Lundgren got out of Adam's Viper as the "picture with a famous star" challenge, was I the only one that thought "who the hell is dolf lundgren?" I've never heard of him before.

Never heard of Dolph Lundgren!!! Rocky 4, Universal Soldier, Masters of the Universe, not to mention the two Expendables movies. An action movie legend!

I think this should be a longer episode, maybe one in 2 parts. A coast-to-coast trip is not something you can easily cram into 40 mins of TV.

Apart from that, I liked it! The tunnel bit was awesome, and Tanner wearing a female amish hat was the cutest thing ever! :D

8/10

When Dolf Lundgren got out of Adam's Viper as the "picture with a famous star" challenge, was I the only one that thought "who the hell is dolf lundgren?" I've never heard of him before.

As a Swede I feel vaguely offended... ;)

I am getting tired of them using the word "epic" in every single episode.
Other than that I liked it.

Last year the show seemed to be sponsored by Mercedes Benz and Ford, I can't even recall what the adverts were in this episode. Is This show getting more advert money this year or MB/ford just picking and choosing which shows to sponsor like last year?

This episode was a missed opportunity for showcasing the beauty of this countries 'B-Roads' and the different vistas -from green rolling farmland to icy brown treacherous mountain switchbacks - found along the route they drove. Why were the guys (shown) on the Interstate for 90% of the drive? We all know how soul-suckingly boring interstate driving is. This frustrated and disappointed me. They did not even hint at any epic roads we could go seek out and drive for ourselves! Isn't that the point of the US version of Top Gear...so we have access to the EPIC driving experiences that the UK team shows folks on that side of the world?

This episode was a missed opportunity for showcasing the beauty of this countries 'B-Roads' and the different vistas -from green rolling farmland to icy brown treacherous mountain switchbacks - found along the route they drove. Why were the guys (shown) on the Interstate for 90% of the drive? We all know how soul-suckingly boring interstate driving is. This frustrated and disappointed me. They did not even hint at any epic roads we could go seek out and drive for ourselves! Isn't that the point of the US version of Top Gear...so we have access to the EPIC driving experiences that the UK team shows folks on that side of the world?

They're probably saving the back- and B-roads for other trips, featuring other genres of car. An all-convertible episode, for example, or compact SUVs.

Also, the Interstates are the ones where the speed limits tend to be the highest. I remember being perfectly surprised by the 80 mph speed limit in Nebraska.

Solid, funny episode. The writing and chemistry is really coming along. To compare with TGUK series 4, I'd say they're ahead of the curve.

I just wish SOME Top Gear presenter would learn how to launch a Viper. First Hammo and now Ferrara. It's not that hard, guys. The car will wipe the floor with both the Gallardo and MP4 if driven properly.

They're probably saving the back- and B-roads for other trips, featuring other genres of car. An all-convertible episode, for example, or compact SUVs.

Also, the Interstates are the ones where the speed limits tend to be the highest. I remember being perfectly surprised by the 80 mph speed limit in Nebraska.

I really hope you are right, then we all win.

On another note, as much as I drool over any Lambo when near one, I could not imagine a 3K road trip being a good idea! GT cars, fellas, are what you want, no? Pick an Aston and a Bentley Rut and Tanner and give the Ford GT to Adam. Just my 2cents.

Good watch, I'm slowly getting into TGUS, I think they're basically mining TGUK for all the best bits and then building episodes out of them, which is no bad thing at all but at some point they're going to run out of UK material and come up with something of their own.

Good watch, I'm slowly getting into TGUS, I think they're basically mining TGUK for all the best bits and then building episodes out of them, which is no bad thing at all but at some point they're going to run out of UK material and come up with something of their own.
What UK material was rehashed in this one? Every challenge seemed original which is hard enough to do. I wouldn't call doing a road trip with 3 supercars a rehash. That is just going to be the nature of a car show.

I-Must-Break-You.gif

What UK material was rehashed in this one? Every challenge seemed original which is hard enough to do. I wouldn't call doing a road trip with 3 supercars a rehash. That is just going to be the nature of a car show.

This episode isn't the best example of what I mean, but I've been watching a lot of TGUS on youtube over the past few days which is why the thought came to mind.

But this episode reminds me of season 17 ep 2 where TGUK go to Italy in three hatcbacks, along the way they have to stop and get a number of items as part of a challenge without being able to use any money. Which reminds me of the hat challenge. Then there's the speed test through the tunnel, which is kinda like who's car can make the most noise in that tunnel in Romania was it?

But what I really meant was, yesterday I watched an episode from the last season where they built three home made rv's which were near exact copies of the the UK ones before the loser drove around town in the worlds smallest car, which conveniently fit into all the places you would normally walk into....

Those two ideas are pretty obviously copied almost completely from TGUK and like I said, no bad thing because I thought it was a decent episode, but eventually they won't be able to make episodes like that, by just taking two good ideas from TGUK and sticking them together.

I'm rather disappointed with this. There was so much potential. A trip across the states!

I basically agree with this

I think this should be a longer episode, maybe one in 2 parts. A coast-to-coast trip is not something you can easily cram into 40 mins of TV.

Even a TGUK ep with a full hour would be hard pressed to fit that much in 1 show. I agree it really should've been longer. They completely glossed over several states.

And the music is still awful :c

As a Swede I feel vaguely offended... ;)

as a Salvadorian and American, I am too...

I got to say, this has been their most impressive season opener, yet. for a 3000 mile roadtrip in an hour time frame, it was well executed. but I agree that, eventually, they will need to do a 90 minute special one day.

10/10