[04x03] September 17th, 2013

[04x03] September 17th, 2013

• Total voters
Whilst they may have put a lot of effort into the final race the rest of the episode was just standard everyday history channel shooting, no creativity what so ever, I'll use just one aspect as an example... The Grade.

frankly, I don't see how the bottom pic can make the sequence more interesting than it already was? I guess this is why I never gotten in to instagram. from a filming standpoint, season 2 and up were far improvements from season 1. but I don't watch shows or movies based on "artsy" cinematography and whatnot. I have no issues with watching TopGear on a low-def, 20+ year old television set, as long as it entertains me. don't get me wrong, I watch TopGear in HD when available, but I don't think anyone is being robbed when a certain lens filter is not used in certain scenes. anything live and in person is way better than watching with even high-quality filters on even the most elaborate television set available today. you may see it as a necessity for any program, I see it totally unnecessary and irrelevant, not even an afterthought. the show, to me, is perfect as is. and if you think i'm missing out on some "fancy" cinematography, well, then that's my lost.

LAG, based on your post I'm not sure if I believe you've watched either show, lol.

Why? I've watched both versions and I agree with LAG.

Yes, years and years ago, the mothership would film car reviews on actual roads as well as at Dunsfold. But over the last four or five years that's largely fallen by the wayside. Even hatchbacks and SUVs -- cars most people would actually buy -- are (by and large) reviewed exclusively at Dunsfold these days. That's gotten pretty damn tedious, IMO. Not to mention I don't know how many times that fucking Fezza 458 in whatever incarnation has made an appearance in the last three years, but I'm sick to death of seeing it. There are other cars out there!

Also, yes, this does seem to be the overall sentiment of each show, now:
TGUK: "Here are some supercars barely any of you will ever get to drive, let alone own. Let's take a roadtrip to (insert location here), argue about them, and whatever else while we wax miserable about the economy or about how supercars are a dying breed, even though companies still manufacture them and take ages to do so."

TGUSA: "Here are some supercars barely any of you will ever get to drive, let alone own. Let's take a roadtrip to (insert location here), argue about them, and we'll do some wacky shit along the way because we can." Or, "Let's get the roads closed and have a fucking RACE! Then we can REALLY see what these babies can do!" (In my head, I read the last quote in Adam's voice.)

Sorry, but putting a shitty filter on video doesn't make it better. Quite frankly I'm sick to death of the played out and cliched vignette put on nearly every "film" on TGUK. The video was color corrected (graded) just fine for this episode. It was clear, showed off the locale and showed off the vehicles in all their glory. Editing tricks and effects were kept to a minimum.

This was probably the best race filmed in any iteration of Top Gear. For one, it looked completely legit. I'm positive there were plenty of pickup shots as there needs to be for races like this, but overall it was seamless and I had no idea who was going to win. It also had a real sense of danger which I never get on TGUK. Tanner almost clipping the edge of that cliff, Rut going 130 on a tight highway plus getting nailed by rocks from Tanner, and Adam going 120 on a river. All it takes is a single floating log to flip one of those jet boats. It also helped that I grew up in that area so it was fun to see the famed jet boats on Top Gear that I used to watch race up the Clearwater River.

Gave the ep a 10 for the race alone. It was lacking a bit of humor in the beginning segments.

Rallying has 10 times the TV-viewership as Nascar? Wut?

An explaining what Rallying is could have been better.

The USA isn't the only place in the world with television, you know.

Very very few outside the US care about Nascar.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but putting a shitty filter on video doesn't make it better. Quite frankly I'm sick to death of the played out and cliched vignette put on nearly every "film" on TGUK. The video was color corrected (graded) just fine for this episode. It was clear, showed off the locale and showed off the vehicles in all their glory. Editing tricks and effects were kept to a minimum.

This was probably the best race filmed in any iteration of Top Gear. For one, it looked completely legit. I'm positive there were plenty of pickup shots as there needs to be for races like this, but overall it was seamless and I had no idea who was going to win. It also had a real sense of danger which I never get on TGUK. Tanner almost clipping the edge of that cliff, Rut going 130 on a tight highway plus getting nailed by rocks from Tanner, and Adam going 120 on a river. All it takes is a single floating log to flip one of those jet boats. It also helped that I grew up in that area so it was fun to see the famed jet boats on Top Gear that I used to watch race up the Clearwater River.

Gave the ep a 10 for the race alone. It was lacking a bit of humor in the beginning segments.

YES to all of that.

The USA isn't the only place in the world with television, you know.

Very very few outside the US care about Nascar.

Yeah, but even here in Finland, TV coverage for WRC is only a 10 minute highlights-program per rallyday and 1-hour-highlights on cable. That is on the same cable channel which shows 3-hour Nascar races live. :/

this scored higher because of the girl codriver :)

Yeah, but even here in Finland, TV coverage for WRC is only a 10 minute highlights-program per rallyday and 1-hour-highlights on cable. That is on the same cable channel which shows 3-hour Nascar races live. :/

Is WRC still on Eurosport? That's the channel all the WRC torrents I used to get were on.