[04x04] September 24th, 2013

[04x04] September 24th, 2013

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
My first 10 for TGUS. This will be the episode I use as the litmus test for all that came before and after (just as 12x01 is mine for TGUK). Pretty much the perfect Cheap Car Challenge for the US and they did it proud.

A 10 just for the pianist falling off. :lol:

What an episode.
The land barges challenge felt so natural, though I don't understand why Rutledge chose the "pimped" car that he did. Adam was hilarious (cancer gun,...) No points off for any of that.
The Stingray piece was incredible, especially the race at the end. What I missed was some more background information about the car. Sure there is the internet for that, but a minute or two on the episode would have been perfect.
The lights on the stingray were a great touch and Tanner presented the segment with style. What I don't like about the car is the rear. The exhausts are nice, but the taillights I'm not sure about..
9/10

This episode is quintessentially american, TGUS has reached new heights. TGUK needs to reinvent itself in comparison.

9/10. Great challenge. A lot of fun and so purely American that TGUS is pretty much the only TG that could ever do it justice. Loved the Stingray segment as well; Tanner presented it really well and using doubles during the race was clever and entertaining.

I have to admit that during season one I was a bit skeptical about having a professional driver as a host, but it really brings with it some awesome opportunities to show off the cars (especially since the Stig can't provide on-camera commentary). I don't even care that Tanner wins every driving challenge, because it just means powerslides and other epic things.

Man, I love these idiots.

Last edited:
As much as I enjoyed the episode did they really need the whole "Who will drive the car?" farce? I knew it would be Tanner driving that thing the second they asked the question.

Anyone else notice the huge amount of bump steer that Rutledge's car had? Any time it was on a compression stroke it would toe in horribly.

Yep, I was just waiting For a whee to fall of that Caprice...
What the hell is happening there? o_O Also, why is the car that hard whe it's been lifted? seemed to be plenty of room for suspension travel, at least in the front...

I don't know what is going on here, but it seems like Top Gear USA is showing some huge advantages over Top Gear UK. This, and the previous episode, have been great! And crap, I know someone already brought this up, but it is awesome to have Tanner's skill set on tap as one of the hosts. There is a sense of, this is Top Gear and it is ridiculous, but it is also like fifth gear because we have some real drivers!

Yep, I was just waiting For a whee to fall of that Caprice...
What the hell is happening there? o_O Also, why is the car that hard whe it's been lifted? seemed to be plenty of room for suspension travel, at least in the front...

If it's toeing in on compression, the drag link must be mounted lower than the center line of the steering knuckle on the spindle.

I'll also venture to say that the stiffness comes from the suspension being topped out. Kits of compression, but no rebound travel.

Funny, the '70 Electra 225 came with a Buick 455, not the 430 as Adam stated. I'd be willing to bet it did indeed have the 455, as Adam later mentioned that it had 360hp, which is how much the 455 had in 1970. Interestingly, every year after that, thanks to smog regulations, the 455 lost significant amounts of power. By 1976 it only had about 200hp. Adam picked the best year. Also, pretty sure his tires are far shorter than stock, which is probably why it failed the railroad test, and partly why it was so bloody fast. My '70 Electra has 225/75R15s and sits about as high as Tanner's Continental.

I think what I liked most in this episode is the fact that for once one of them was willing to not break his car just for the sake of it.

I think what I liked most in this episode is the fact that for once one of them was willing to not break his car just for the sake of it.

Hmm, I see it from the opposite side. Yeah, they may love those cars, but man up and deal with the challenges. Especially Rutt. It really kills it when five minutes into a slightly difficult challenge he quits because "it's cold" or it's too "early." That's why Oliver is so memorable. While he was babied, they still put him through all those challenges.

Dunno, the bonding with their cars just seems fake in TGUS.

Still, it was better than the previous season of the UK season. 8/10

There also seems to be a lack of breakdowns. Is that because American cars are more reliable? :p

this one scored higher because adam saved his ride