[04x05] October 22nd, 2013

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I don't really care about bikes. Kinda boring for me

This was not a bad episode, except for the cheap plug for another show at the end when they blew up that Volvo wagon.

I'm a bike enthusiast and a rider. But the show was boring compared to other episodes. I liked the atom vs moto gp portion though.
everything else, not that much...

Last edited:
Mediocre episode. Normally their shows do seem staged, but this went above and beyond.

Like on the gokart track, Adam and Rut constantly put their feet down, and Tanner somehow lost by being ahead so far. Pretty sure Tanner would know how to ride a biker slower than Fatass and the Noob. On TG UK, they would at least knock a few points off for every time someone put their foot down since that's such blatant cheating.

And when they had to give the band a ride through town, Rut WRECKED HIS DAMN BIKE, but they hardly addressed that. And then he backs into a parking space, gets off on the LEFT side of the bike, but then the camera cuts to him being on the RIGHT side of the bike, and conveniently bumps into a couple of really old, beat up bikes. Meanwhile, Tanner is having to stop and beat off to a bunch of saggy tits.

Then on the segment with Tanner and the GP bike, he supposedly has to pick a production car to go up against the bike. I probably would have gone with a GT-R, knowing that he needs to compete with the bike's top speed, whereas the Atom tops out at 155mph. But then when he picks the Atom, he doesn't even pick the FASTEST one, the Atom 500 V8, but instead goes with the slower 2 liter supercharged version.

But the shameless plug at the end was the last nail in the coffin. A bunch of boxes with TNT clearly labeled made it seem like a frikkin cartoon. Having seen that, I'm now LESS likely to watch this Daredevils show as it seems rather bland and patronizing.

Not a big fan of bikes but I still liked it. The structure of starting out with terrible ones and earning better ones through challenges was interesting. I don't remember that ever being done on a Top Gear before.

A bunch of boxes with TNT clearly labeled made it seem like a frikkin cartoon.

I think that joke might have gone a bit over your head.

I'm a rider as well and was disappointed in this episode. I'm not a fan of Harley's or Sturgis but it still seams like they could have done so much more with this topic. It just didn't seem to be as entertaining and the challenges were pretty bland in how they were executed. The race at the end was ok. It is always fun seeing roads I drive/ride on like the San Gabriel Canyon Rd shown at the beginning of the Atom piece. They should have just closed that off and made it the race to the top.

The annoying ads for what looks like a dumb show plastered all over this episode really did it in. Then they go and stick in a stupid cross promotion at the end with the explosion. Horrible horrible horrible.

Okayish ep, had some funny moments, but overall didn't do much for me-- which is a shame as it's nice to not have to deal with the usual TG treatment of bikes.

At least they can all competently ride, which is nice.

Not a bad episode when viewed by itself, but when compared to their last few it was terrible.
The highlight was the atom vs moto gp and the low light was the promo for the History Channel's new show.

I wish they'd stop saying whoever wins gets to test X car or do X thing. All it means is that I immediately know who is going to win all of the challenges (Tanner). I mean are they seriously going to put Adam up against a Moto GP racer?

Dumb how they put spoilers before breaks and ruined a challenge

Dumb how they put spoilers before breaks and ruined a challenge
And refresh our leaky memories, after each commercial break, with run-downs of what has happened so far in the show. Too much pandering to late arrivals in front of a TV and not enough to those actually paying attention to the show from the beginning. Hardly appropriate in an era of PVRs, etc. Anyway, not a great show - too scripted. The 'bump the bikes over' bit was way too contrived. With passers-by scrambling to get in the shot, it left me wondering why they even left this bit in the show.

For me, inserting some stunt show promo into a TGUS show, just knocked another point or two off my mediocre score and ensured I'd never bother to watch whatever show it was that they were promoting. Hope this episode was just a hiccup, since I've really been enjoying TGUS lately.

For me, inserting some stunt show promo into a TGUS show, just knocked another point or two off my mediocre score and ensured I'd never bother to watch whatever show it was that they were promoting. Hope this episode was just a hiccup, since I've really been enjoying TGUS lately.

But that wasn't the worst part of the show. I think all networks are guilty of cross promotion.

This episode was downright terrible.

I like challenges, but they were awful in this episode. I think that Rutt doesn't want to do anything difficult and so they get off doing them halfway. TGUK consistently gets challenges they don't want to do. They also get very difficult challenges. The UK presenters still follow through. I doubt we will ever see Tanner's prized possessions propped up by a mountain of adult literature.

I blame it on the producers. Yes, they are familiar faces at this point, but they should hang the job over their heads. Follow through with the show or get new presenters.

Slipped a few notches from the previous couple of eps. I was generous with a 5.

Not every episode can be the best one so it's still a show worth watching.

The episode was a definite low point for me... The motorcycle challenges were horrible, the MotoGP bike vs atom was terrible as well. They picked by far the worst possible motoGP bike, which is barely any faster than a moto2 bike around a lap AND they didn't use the atom v8... I personally would have liked to see an atom v8 or the caterham levante have a go at the bike. That would have been worthy of a watch. Even a BMW S1000RR would have beaten a standard atom... It was a long forgone conclusion.

Edit : Oh, and of course the entire last segment, the plug for the daredevil show, pissed me off like many others here. It was forced, pointless and had nothing to do with the show whatsoever.

Last edited:
The race (7 minutes long) was good, the other 37 minutes of the show was garbage. So according to my calculations, 37 minutes of garbage and 7 minutes of quality entertainment........I give it a 1.2, but I'll round up to 2.

First time I've ever hit the fast forward button during a Top Gear episode with no SIARPC segment in it (of all Top gears: US, UK and AUS). Started ok, but around the "slow race challenge" I started to feel bored.

Rut dressed like a Village People cowboy didn't made me laugh, also Rut bumping onto the 2 bikes that suspiciously looked like old versions of the 2 Yamahas they rode previously made me sigh. (And who the hell parks a bike standing straight up like that? Even the wind would cause them to tumble)

The MotoGP vs Atom had good camera work, and on the shots were they did not had to "race" behind the camera car, we could see how blisteringly fast those bikes are :O

Then the blowing up Volvo part started, Forrest Gump was on TV and I turned TG off... bleh.

Was going to be a 2, but the Atom's engine sound alone added 3 more points for this episode.