[04x07] November 5th, 2013

[04x07] November 5th, 2013

• Total voters
Crap episode with crap cars. 3/10, feeling generous.

I wish they'd done more with the three electric cars, that was fun to watch. I turned it off when Rut got to test the Model S though. 6/10

Not bad, but better than the last few. Adam was actually funny, Rutt wasn't that annoying, and the whole episode didn't revolve around Tanner. Though the challenges could have been better, and Rutt's "Oh lawd, Oh lawd" Tesla sequence could have been a little spicier, it was enjoyable.

Tesla S definitely looks nice. I was disappointed when they were putting it up against the camaro, because it felt like a sellout. When they put it up against the merc it felt like traditional top gear uk vs us patriotism. Glad it won (if it wasn't just to make the car look good). I wouldn't mind owning one of the future models.

Reached levels of drudgery that we haven't seen from this show since the early days.... Challenges I thought were dumb; drag racing 3 random cars we know nothing about? mall piece was boring. I would have probably voted 4 but the Tesla piece wasnt bad so I went 5

And I'm ashamed to admit but I did laugh at Adam saying Rut would lose 30 seconds because he had to pass the kitchen on the way out of the house

Just when I though the mall sequence reminded me about Blues Brothers they quote the movie. :D

Did anyone else notice the roaring V8 noise as Tanner set off the dB alarm the first time?

So maybe this episode was heavily scripted, kinda like most of them, but I don't get why all the hate for this one. I thought the Tesla sequence was boring from an information aspect, but nice from the position they took with the ZL1 and S550 comparisons. I also loved the shot after Rut talked about getting used to the quiet when at speed on the track, the one where you just see him and Tanner, I mean the Stig, shifting with the momentum of the car.

Not their best episode but good banter and finally a piece about cars that sorta matter and that we don't already all know all the stats about. And it was nice that "Top Gear" didn't do a smear job on the Tesla. Oh and I gave it an 8.

the shopping mall sequence was just like the TG UK bit but with all the excitement and tension removed

Reactions: MPH
So the Tesla S has the luxury and space of an S-class now? I see it more of a 5-series/E-class in rival in terms of ergonomics and practicality.
The only thing that's comparable to an S-class is the price. And I don't know if the Top Gear US guys have noticed, but this is the OLD model.

it was enjoyable but i felt the tesla sequence was pure advertisement for Tesla.
Thus avoiding the type of litigation that followed TGUK's road test of a Tesla Roadster back in 2008. (Don't mention the fires!) :unsure:

The spread of votes suggests that this episode had a mixed reception with noisy V8 fanatics and hybrid/electric/sub-compact haters leaving very disappointed, but anyone curious about new technology enjoying the show.

They failed to mention the base price of the model s and the ever growing super charger network. Not to mention the fact that the model s is out selling its luxury performance competitors.

Worst episode to date. I've pretty much enjoyed them s far, but this one was a stinker.

I liked it very much. A different approch for covering the subject of electric cars. But instead of going thru a mall, I would have prefered seeing who can deliver the most pizzas before going out of juice...

Seems that they were pushing the green agenda for electric cars. I don't believe they ever mentioned the range of the cars or the time it takes to recharge the batteries.
The drag races were interesting, Could have done without the mall segment.

Actually I liked the mall segment. If you're going to steal from the mothership, you may as well use the stuff that works.
I do think, though, that they should have done a range test -- who conks out first from lack of juice?