[04x09] July 25th, 2004

"In the last of the current series Jeremy Clarkson tries out BMW's latest lifestyle off-roader, the X3, and gets very wet, and Richard Hammond discovers that the new Corvette C6 breaks with tradition."

the cool wall is a total fluke,

why should a car be judged by who drives it? it should be based on all who want it :D

I think this episode has set a record in that I was almost in total agreeanced with what James May said during the show. I was disappointed in the CL65's time and but not it's poise on the track. Looks like a handful but a car for cruising not driving.

"The car every footballer's, wife's, hairdresser's, masseur's has been waiting for.... the new SLK" (James May)
"It looks like the fevered imagines of a pubescent schoolboy drawn in a maths book... Its vulgar..."(JC chimes in, with how he likes it, but he would 'cos he owns a SL). I reckon the front end does look a bit blah, but haven't seen one in the skin to make aq final judgement.

"The Mini cabrio is ugly" (James May)

Buck-O said:
Does anyone else find it intersting that Ben Collins, often rumored to be the new white "fresh" Stig made the appearance on the whole parachuting into the car segment?

Seems kind of funny to me. Not sure if they are hinting that he is, or that he isnt the Stig...:?:...but i still found it interesting none the less.
Likewise, that segment was interesting a well.

DimitriPopov said:
I liked the episode actually. The guest was just awsome. I felt bad about his wife though , they knew eachother for so long.
http://www.januarymagazine.com/profiles/rfiennes.html
Sir Ranulph Fiennes, the guy is a total fucking psycho! I personally found him to be the most interesting 'star' they've interviewed so far.

About being in the running to replace Sean Connery ... "but they had bad taste , so they chose Roger Moore". He does have a face like a farmer!

Just when I thought he was the ice-man/superman/ Mr.Invincible, JC zmentions his late wife and I saw a flash of weakness/tenderness. I felt sorry for the guy, especially when he said that "he doesn't want to think anymore, doesn't have time to think anymore" and keeps himself busy because of it.

When JC asked him - "presumably, you don't lift off there" (high speed corner). He just answers flatly "no"
Not bad lap time for an 'older person'. JC looked scared when he said this, I'm sure he could take him on with his little pinky.

Finally when discussing the cool wall, the comment by the audience member about Fiats made me cringe and almost throw up!. When JC asked him whbat was wrong with Fiats, he said it is because they are French!! IDIOT!
Then JC jests about the "little Fiat, French car" and the "Renault, made in Milan" both of which he thinks are quite cool.

Always suspected James to be a tweed wearing farmer type, toff. After seeing him fondle those sheep and Hammond saying how he got excited, my suspicions were confirmed!
JC says that James "eats pastry, drinks brown beer and thinks a curry is exotic"

What's the first 2 songs (not the slow one) played during the review of the Vauxhall Tigra?

Oh, and review posted. Sorry, I forgot to do it earlier.

Viper007Bond said:
What's the first 2 songs (not the slow one) played during the review of the Vauxhall Tigra?

I don't know the first one but the second is "what the world needs now" ...sounds like Aime Mann's version but I don't think it is. The song was written in the 60s by burt bacharach and tons of people have covered it.

No, that's the slow one. The 2 other ones. ;)

The first song is "Comfortably Numb" by Scissor Sisters, a surprisingly good modern cover of the Pink Floyd classic.

Re-torrented on the new tracker.

sorry to bring an old dog up.. but was wondering if anyone knew the song title at 52:58ish, during the Jag review? its the one with the cool guitar riffs.. sounds almost like led zeppelin to me, that or perhaps some obscure white stripes song?

thanks!!

don't be sorry, that's what these threads are all about :)

as far as the song - i'm not familiar with it i'm afraid - doesn't sound like Led Zep or White Stripes tho

The song is Four Tet - As Serious as Your Life

I can not express how much Four Tet rule, and how much the album that song is from (it's called Rounds) rules. Four Tet is just about as far away from Led Zeppelin or the White Stripes as you can get - they are a highly experimental electronic act that are basically bringing about a new genre I'd like to call post-electronica. For more information on them, check out their All-Music entry: link.

Whoever is picking the tracks right now at Top Gear is playing some mind-blowingly good music. We've had stellar tracks from Four Tet, DJ Shadow and My Bloody Valentine (just to name a few) in the last few epsidoes. I can't wait to hear what they play in the next round of episodes.

Sorry for the music geek rant :)P), but if you like good music, go out and get a Four Tet album right now! :D

^ The June 6th episode had 'I Only Said by My Bloody Valentine in it. It was a short clip of the song while the three cars were spinning around in the sand. I was so extatic when I heard the song - that is the only time I've ever heard that song outside of my own CD collection! :mrgreen:

Just watched it and I don't know how I didn't catch it.

Great song, better album.:)

wescx said:
Great song, AMAZING album.:)
Fixed.
Who can tell I spend too much time on the Penny-Arcade forums...

wow that "guitar beat" is electronically synthesized beats? or is the rest of the song electronic?

anyways, thanks a bunch :) the knowledge of ppl on this board sometimes astounds me!!