[05x02] October 31st, 2004

VUK said:
Phix said:
Ok, I'm confused. Isn't the Holden Monaro the new Pontiac GTO?

pontiac gto/holden monaro/vouxhall monaro, they are all same cars.

The only difference is that the GTO is sold in USA and monaro is in australia and UK

Was it created to be the succesor of the Pontiac GTO or did GM just say this as an easy way to get out of creating another seperate car?

no, the australians made it, the original design is HOLDEN MONARO.

I guess you are right, GM did go for a easy way out?

Well when I read about it first they said originally they started with the body of a Vauxhall/Opel Omega and planted a Corvette engine inside, so it just comes back altered a little bit :)

Go Low said:
Well when I read about it first they said originally they started with the body of a Vauxhall/Opel Omega and planted a Corvette engine inside, so it just comes back altered a little bit :)

cool i like it even more now. omega is very good car, all it needed is big engine and a slip diff

Yeah we had an Omega A. Only the 2 litre engine with 115 HP, but it still was fun drifting in the snow :D Plus it used less gas than expected, and lasted for 12 years :D

Go Low said:
Yeah we had an Omega A. Only the 2 litre engine with 115 HP, but it still was fun drifting in the snow :D Plus it used less gas than expected, and lasted for 12 years :D

in UK vauxhall's built quality is bad, omega A was called "carlton", crap name and the car was not that good.

european opel omega A was good.

Well not all Opel Omega A were that good, actually they said you can be lucky and get a good one, or you are unlucky and get a bad one. I guess we were just lucky with ours :) Shortly after ours was gone we tested another Omega A of the last production year (ours was from the first), low milage and usually parked in a parking lot (it was from the father of my uncle), and when I drove it around I noticed a sound from the rear that was unusual. In the end it was the rear differential that was broken, so we didn't take the car :)

Go Low said:
Well not all Opel Omega A were that good, actually they said you can be lucky and get a good one, or you are unlucky and get a bad one. I guess we were just lucky with ours :) Shortly after ours was gone we tested another Omega A of the last production year (ours was from the first), low milage and usually parked in a parking lot (it was from the father of my uncle), and when I drove it around I noticed a sound from the rear that was unusual. In the end it was the rear differential that was broken, so we didn't take the car :)

such problems are not problems to me, a problem to me is when an engine dies, gerabox goes or something heavy like that.

used rear diff is ?15 :lol:

gotta love that car

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well when I read about it first they said originally they started with the body of a Vauxhall/Opel Omega and planted a Corvette engine inside, so it just comes back altered a little bit

Its based on a VT commodore platform which is australian designed.

gaemon82 said:
Does anybody know the song that plays at 3:13, where Hammond talks about the Astra's looks?
Sorry, I don't have a clue either. :( It's a really short clip too, so I can't even get a feel for who it could be.

zenon said:
gaemon82 said:
Does anybody know the song that plays at 3:13, where Hammond talks about the Astra's looks?
Sorry, I don't have a clue either. :( It's a really short clip too, so I can't even get a feel for who it could be.

I need you in the off topic section!

Leppy said:
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well when I read about it first they said originally they started with the body of a Vauxhall/Opel Omega and planted a Corvette engine inside, so it just comes back altered a little bit

Its based on a VT commodore platform which is australian designed.

Hm well... try to find a picture of the Omega B, then compare it to the VT Commodore... The Omega was basically the successor to the Opel Commodore, my father had a Opel Commodore 25 years ago.

The Holden VN commodore debuted in 1988/89 and was a mixture of an Omega (but bigger) and the previous commodore (both parts and styling) plus all new stuff. Prior to the VN the commodore was a much smaller car. The VN had Buik's new 3.8L V6. As models progressed the commodore slowly lost the components from the Omega.

The VT commodore debuted in 1998 and was a whole new evolution of the model. The VT series II debuted the LS1 (Corvette engine) in Australia. HSV (Holden Special Vehicles (performance arm)) later had a 300kw GTS tuned by Calloway in the US.

The Monaro debuted as a concept car at the Sydney Motorshow in 1998 and was totally unexpected. The production version came out in 2001. There are 2 models in the holden line up. A v6 and an LS1 model. HSV now have 3 models. A GTO (285kw), a GTS (300kw) and an AWD model which is more a luxury version. Also the current Commodore has a brand Aus built 3.6L alloytech V6. Australia's version of the alloytech has been chosen to be the version for all alloytechs and all are built in Aus.

Hope this clears a few things up. :D

Note: I'm pretty sure this is all pretty acurate. I follow the car seen quite closely here and the Holden Commodore is the highest selling car in Aus.

the song with the enzo

the song with the enzo

what's the classical sounding song near the beginning of the enzo segment after they pitch the man's book?

Re: the song with the enzo

Re: the song with the enzo

allaboutme said:
what's the classical sounding song near the beginning of the enzo segment after they pitch the man's book?
Are you talking about the song played at 18:35? If so, I have no clue, but now anyone here who knows classical music knows the time atleast. :p Hopefully someone can help you out.

*Disclaimer: 'Official "What's that Song?" Guy' unless said song is European house music or sung in German.

you should add classic music and shitty techno to that :wink: :lol:

Renesis said:
*Disclaimer: 'Official "What's that Song?" Guy' unless said song is European house music or sung in German.

you should add classic music and shitty techno to that :wink: :lol:
I'm going to be breaking the maximum sig height just with disclaimers! :p :lol: :D