[06x07] July 10th, 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
3Colin said:
Pretty much every supercharged V8 AMG can top 200 mph. It's just that they're not... allowed. Nevermind that nearly every European AMG owner rechips their car- it would be pointless otherwise. I wonder if there will be a day when the 155 mph agreement is consigned to history, like the 274 hp gentleman's agreement in Japan...

Audi already released the RS6 Plus with a 174mph/280kmh limit. The Le Mans won't probably have that limit, but I'm just speculating.

vanMould said:
Shit...I hope they won't cancel the show because of the terrorattack...

I hope not as well, but then again, they did tape it yesterday (so the episode should be near done), so, unless BBC2 runs news 24/7 like american news channels during a "major event", I see no reason why they couldn't show it.

No, and it's on BBC2, they have BBC 1 for this horrible attack.

Sure, but they could cancel the show in respect for the people who died/will die this day. Or maybe that would just happen if it was broadcasted today...

That would also be giving in to the terrorists. The best thing to do, in honor of the dead and in defiance of the killers, is keep moving on.

vanMould said:
Sure, but they could cancel the show in respect for the people who died/will die this day. Or maybe that would just happen if it was broadcasted today...

I don't know... Its not a comedy show, but a motor show... Well, a funny motor show....

And they never minded current politics as long as they don't interfere with car stuff...

As tragic as it may be, TG has no reason not to air.

Buba

Let's just hope Clarckson will have the taste not to use this to point out how unsafe public transport is and that people should drive in their cars. :oops:

Bentley Flying Spur defenetly more bentley than the continental GT(butley salterton lol)
Is it just me or is the continetal made for rappers??
Anyway looking forward to this ep!!!!
Don't mind the grammatics ok? :thumbsup:

vanMould said:

I don't really quite follow why not showing a show would be showing respect for those who died. Top Gear next week (since this week's epsiode was taped yesterday) will probably have a few lines out of respect for victims, but since the program doesn't really deal with politics all that much, I don't see a reason to not show it. If i'm missing something thats a custom outside the states please let me know, im eager to learn.

Based on my own analysis:
The best thing the BBC could do is show as much of its programming, unchanged as possible (except maybe BBC1 for the news updates). I know, I lived through the horror of 9/11, my father was in the pentagon on 9/11 (Luckily he was on the other side of the building at the time). American TV stations (even ones that aren't already 24/7 news stations like MTV, Discovery, Comedy Central) were carrying news about 9/11 for almost a week after 9/11. There was no escaping from the news.

That did more to depress (and anger) me during that time period even though I knew personally everything would turn out alright. If the BBC were to do the same as the American stations for this (because I rank this attack a little below 9/11, yes it is unfortunate, but it was 4 smaller bombs instead of 3 large aircraft fully loaded with jet fuel), they would be doing more damage to the morale of the people, since they couldn't escape for just a few hours from the carnage and watch their regularly scheduled programming.

The way to beat the terrorists is to show them that they won't change our way of life, no matter how many of their own they send to their deaths. Unfortunately we have failed in that in the US (since all of the Patriot Act stuff), and how we have to go through security checkpoints to visit public monuments in Washington.

good job hokie for the essay!

RikfromBelgium said:

i wish the USA had TV like that... all the news would be on one uninterupted channel and all the shows you want to watch on 4 more uninterupted channels. that would be nice

it seems to me that all of this these clips are pre-recorded... (because they showed the previews of it at the beginning of the series) does this mean that for the rest of the season they arent going to test new cars cause of clarkson's back?

mike_tseng said:

RikfromBelgium said:

i wish the USA had TV like that... all the news would be on one uninterupted channel and all the shows you want to watch on 4 more uninterupted channels. that would be nice

After some heavy searching, I found a couple of TV station web sites you might find helpful.

www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com
www.cspan.org
www.cnbc.com

We also have HNN (headline news network) which is a spin-off of CNN and MSNBC wich is a spin-off of CNBC. These are all 24 hour news channels, they are interupted with commercials, but only premium channels like HBO, Showtime etc. are commercial free.

Welcome to America.

edweiser63 said:
mike_tseng said:

RikfromBelgium said:

After some heavy searching, I found a couple of TV station web sites you might find helpful.

www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com
www.cspan.org
www.cnbc.com

We also have HNN (headline news network) which is a spin-off of CNN and MSNBC wich is a spin-off of CNBC. These are all 24 hour news channels, they are interupted with commercials, but only premium channels like HBO, Showtime etc. are commercial free.

Welcome to America.

I think he was commenting more on the part where they don't mess with other channels that are not news channels, like how after 9/11 the discovery channel and comedy central were both showing some news feed for like a week instead of regular programming. The news channels had 9/11 commentary for at least a month straight (almost with no commercials), but there were other channels that pre-empted entertainment programming as well.

it's the only thing terrorists have ever done to me...the shows i wanna watch get cancelled
and this is against the "living as usual" we normally hear from people after such an attack
one or two days are ok, but sure not after a week or more...

if you change all programms cause of the terrorists you do exactly what they want you to do

*SPOILER WARNING*
I've got some news over the TG episode: Sabine don't get to beat the 10min mark on the N?rburgring whit the Ford Transit. A good friend of mind went on a lap over the N?rburgring in the "Ring-Taxi". These are new M5 driven by racedriver including Sabine. So he asked her and she was a little irritated <_< that she didn't managed a good lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.