[06x09] July 24th, 2005

wescx said:
Ali said:
does anyone have may's phone number so i could call him and ask for the audi-girl's number?? :mrgreen:

If I did, I'd keep it for myself :lol: :twisted:

Already emailed them about it hahaha.

I also loved the way James went on about A classes of old rolling during evasive manuvers... so he tries out a few hard turns hahaha.

fbc said:
RenaultFreak said:
jeesus this episode was good, of course I loved the Megane :mrgreen:

what's with the A Class foglights going on and off all the time? I don't get it...sometimes it was the right one and sometimes it was the left one and sometimes both were off :?

I noticed the fog lights too - I thought maybe each side turned on when you made a left or right turn (like a cornering light), but there were times one was on in a straight line. merc quality perhaps?

it's not the first time I see this, on an earlier test (on 5th Gear I think) the same car did the same, fog lights would be on and off incesantly...

if its a feature I wanna know about it, if it's an issue I think MB is fucked because most cars will do that then...

RenaultFreak said:
fbc said:
RenaultFreak said:

what's with the A Class foglights going on and off all the time? I don't get it...sometimes it was the right one and sometimes it was the left one and sometimes both were off :?

I noticed the fog lights too - I thought maybe each side turned on when you made a left or right turn (like a cornering light), but there were times one was on in a straight line. merc quality perhaps?

it's not the first time I see this, on an earlier test (on 5th Gear I think) the same car did the same, fog lights would be on and off incesantly...

if its a feature I wanna know about it, if it's an issue I think MB is fucked because most cars will do that then...

According to the MB website "cornering light function integrated in the oval fog lamps"

What I really found lacking in the M5 review was the lack of anything, well, substantial. Yes, the satnav is annoying. Yes, the M button is automotive witchcraft. But he never really analyzed the handling, the ride, the characteristics, etc. The M5 looked rather twitchy heading into and out of that first corner during the Stig's lap, and it looked to me like it never got any better. It looked antsy and nervous throughout the entire lap, like the Stig was trying his damndest not to have it go flying off the track. Maybe it's something common to all M5's, I've never had the pleasure of driving one.

dolfijn999 said:
RenaultFreak said:
fbc said:
RenaultFreak said:

According to the MB website "cornering light function integrated in the oval fog lamps"

hey I was right! do I get a prize?

Jasruler said:
gazzyk1ns said:
I was a bit disappointed with the M5 review. He started off slating everything about it, then pressed the M button and all of a sudden it was back to "Generic Clarkson fast car review #344". You know, "THIS car is faster than anything, and I mean ANYTHING, I have ever driven before in my entire life." etc. etc.

OK, obviously the M5 is an awesome car, and incredibly fast, especially considering that it's a 4-door saloon. But I don't understand who would want one, the target people don't seem to exist... people who need one car to serve multiple purposes (i.e. do the school/shopping run, as well as an incredible weekend burnaround and/or track day) won't be able to afford ?62,705 for an M5. If you've got that sort of cash then surely you'd get a 330ci for the week, and something like an Elise for the weekend/track day? If you don't mind owning a 3/4 year-old car then you could probably get an M3 and and something like an Elise/Ariel Atom.

Again, I loved seeing and hearing the new M5 but it does seem like a bit of a strange choice for a car, if you can afford one. A bit of a novelty, or for someone who grew up loving the M badge... nothing wrong with that at all, but still, I was surprised Top Gear didn't say anything similar; instead it was just the same old enthusing from Jeremy with some decent music and squealing tyres. Someone said a few weeks ago that the format is brilliant but getting tired, I think I'm starting to agree.

There is no reason not to want an M5.

What about the reasons I gave, there, in my post?

In any case, my point was that Jeremy/TG didn't actually review the car, Jeremy highlighted his reluctance to read the instruction manual of "a ?63,000 car he'd just bought" and then we had a review of any car made in the last 10 years which handles well and does 0-60 in under about 5 seconds. It was rubbish, I've never knowingly been within 10 miles of a new M5 but I could have told you months ago that it would have had BMW iDrive, and that it handles exceptionally for a 4-door saloon.

Again, I point you to Jeremy's habit of saying "Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is as fast as this...". I think I first heard it from him whilst he was reviewing the F50, which surely must have been 1995/6... I've heard it at least 10 times since, and he never acknowledges that he's said it before at all. OK, maybe over the years he forgets and/or car specs become blurred... but he said this about the M5 on Sunday, and no matter how long ago the two reviews were actually filmed, he'd reviewed the F430 weeks previously. He'd also been in the Carrera GT, Enzo, Ariel Atom, and probably the 360CS and 911GT3RS within the year... so you've got to wonder why he comes out with all this stuff, week after week. It's poor.

There's a part of me which says "Well TG has to be for the more casual viewers too, not just for car enthusiasts!"... but still, I only want the detail when it comes to cars that warrant it. The ScooterMan, "race to Denmark", and coolwall-type items are all for general entertainment as opposed to conveying car facts. I know they always reel off some stats they've read but it's nothing more than a token gesture. So when they allocate 10 minutes to review an "out-of-reach-for-most-people" car then they could at least tell us everything about it and compare it directly to similar cars, as opposed to devoting a quarter of the review to saying "Oh my GOD, I don't know HOW to switch the SatNav off! It's like HITLER, not being able to control one of his army's TANKS!". Yeah, very funny. Now how about actually telling us about the car, assuming you are willing to learn how to operate it?

It's always great to see and hear the supercars, but I want to see the Stig (or whatever professional driver) tell me about what they think of them - if I'm ever rich enough to be able to get into supercars without caring about the technicalities then Top Gear won't matter to me, I'll just drive them myself and come to my own conclusions.

Great episode. Good cars, good jokes, good guest, a Ford got smashed up, and nothing dragged on too long. Jeremy seems to go out of his way to find annoyances in cars. I'm sure if you spent a little time learning the buttons and the system, the M5 would be fine. However, he does have a point about all the choices and having to program every feature. Overall, I think he gave it a fair review - faults and all. I was suprised at its track performance. With good handling and 500hp, I expected it to do better. But that's still very good for a luxury 4 door and price.

I also expected more excitement in the drunk pickup segment. The people they picked up did not look drunk except the guy in the pickup who just passed out. Drunks are supposed to be funny and act stupid. It was still entertaining, though. I don't get the obsession with the audi lady, though. I would say she is attractive but not all that.

Can I vote for the Audi lady as host in Top Gear?
I don?t know if she can drive, but she seems to know cars. Anyway, she?s gorgeous! :)

gazzyk1ns said:
Jasruler said:
gazzyk1ns said:
I was a bit disappointed with the M5 review. He started off slating everything about it, then pressed the M button and all of a sudden it was back to "Generic Clarkson fast car review #344". You know, "THIS car is faster than anything, and I mean ANYTHING, I have ever driven before in my entire life." etc. etc.

OK, obviously the M5 is an awesome car, and incredibly fast, especially considering that it's a 4-door saloon. But I don't understand who would want one, the target people don't seem to exist... people who need one car to serve multiple purposes (i.e. do the school/shopping run, as well as an incredible weekend burnaround and/or track day) won't be able to afford ?62,705 for an M5. If you've got that sort of cash then surely you'd get a 330ci for the week, and something like an Elise for the weekend/track day? If you don't mind owning a 3/4 year-old car then you could probably get an M3 and and something like an Elise/Ariel Atom.

Again, I loved seeing and hearing the new M5 but it does seem like a bit of a strange choice for a car, if you can afford one. A bit of a novelty, or for someone who grew up loving the M badge... nothing wrong with that at all, but still, I was surprised Top Gear didn't say anything similar; instead it was just the same old enthusing from Jeremy with some decent music and squealing tyres. Someone said a few weeks ago that the format is brilliant but getting tired, I think I'm starting to agree.

There is no reason not to want an M5.

What about the reasons I gave, there, in my post?

In any case, my point was that Jeremy/TG didn't actually review the car, Jeremy highlighted his reluctance to read the instruction manual of "a ?63,000 car he'd just bought" and then we had a review of any car made in the last 10 years which handles well and does 0-60 in under about 5 seconds. It was rubbish, I've never knowingly been within 10 miles of a new M5 but I could have told you months ago that it would have had BMW iDrive, and that it handles exceptionally for a 4-door saloon.

Again, I point you to Jeremy's habit of saying "Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is as fast as this...". I think I first heard it from him whilst he was reviewing the F50, which surely must have been 1995/6... I've heard it at least 10 times since, and he never acknowledges that he's said it before at all. OK, maybe over the years he forgets and/or car specs become blurred... but he said this about the M5 on Sunday, and no matter how long ago the two reviews were actually filmed, he'd reviewed the F430 weeks previously. He'd also been in the Carrera GT, Enzo, Ariel Atom, and probably the 360CS and 911GT3RS within the year... so you've got to wonder why he comes out with all this stuff, week after week. It's poor.

There's a part of me which says "Well TG has to be for the more casual viewers too, not just for car enthusiasts!"... but still, I only want the detail when it comes to cars that warrant it. The ScooterMan, "race to Denmark", and coolwall-type items are all for general entertainment as opposed to conveying car facts. I know they always reel off some stats they've read but it's nothing more than a token gesture. So when they allocate 10 minutes to review an "out-of-reach-for-most-people" car then they could at least tell us everything about it and compare it directly to similar cars, as opposed to devoting a quarter of the review to saying "Oh my GOD, I don't know HOW to switch the SatNav off! It's like HITLER, not being able to control one of his army's TANKS!". Yeah, very funny. Now how about actually telling us about the car, assuming you are willing to learn how to operate it?

It's always great to see and hear the supercars, but I want to see the Stig (or whatever professional driver) tell me about what they think of them - if I'm ever rich enough to be able to get into supercars without caring about the technicalities then Top Gear won't matter to me, I'll just drive them myself and come to my own conclusions.

First off, you didn't list any reasons why you wouldn't want an M5, you listed reasons why you wouldn't _buy_ an M5. Theres a huge difference.

For people who aren't concerned with money as much as you are, the M5 is essentially perfect. The area I live in is filled with well off people who also have families or some other need for practicality in a vehicle. I live in the target market; saying there is none is stupid.

Now, forgive me if what I say is a bit more harsh than what is usually said on these boards:

Stop your pussy-footed bitching, whining and moaning. Watch Fifth Gear if you want a show that is solely factual; Tiff is a pro driver.. Read a magazine. Read articles on the internet. TV is for entertainment.

Just stop your stupid whining. If you want something else, find something else.

God damn you are a waste of oxygen.

gthree said:
I also expected more excitement in the drunk pickup segment. The people they picked up did not look drunk except the guy in the pickup who just passed out. Drunks are supposed to be funny and act stupid.

You watch too much TV.

First of all. I LOVE James May during his segment with Hamster. That is just like me, straight to the point and don't give a rat's ass if they get offended. The way May proved the A-Class doesn't rollover was hilarious. "They fixed that" :lmao:

Star in the reasonably priced car: A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Chris Evans did some awesome driving and he was hilarious as well.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm M5...........I'd give my life for one ;).

I loved this episode. They want back to the old Top Gear. The record was amazing.

Mischief007 said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm M5...........I'd give my life for one ;).

I dont really see how that would help you :)

Id give your life for one too :lol:

hajj said:
SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Hey that was a great episode. James and Richard made up for one of the most boring segments last year: Minicabbing. Co-incidence that they just so happened to drive a new A-Class and that Citroen :roll: ?

The bit on the hot hatches was short and sweet. We all expected the GTI to be the fav however, I like that Megane...its diffrent ;)

Finally the M5 :mrgreen: That was hilarious what with GPS interupting JC :lol: I agree with him that it is such an epic car but like someone else said, it was expected to be faster than that. Its good to compare it with the 476BHP CLS55. Thats heavier and it has 4-cylinders less than the M5 yet it managed to be within a second of the M5 :) I think it was because the AMG makes up for its lack of BHP (not really :roll: ) with its gigantic torque.

Anyway great episode!

Since when has the CLS55 got a V6? :bangin:

This episode was great! One of the best ones this season :thumbsup:
Ha ha my bad :oops: Im an idiot!

It looked antsy and nervous throughout the entire lap, like the Stig was trying his damndest not to have it go flying off the track. Maybe it's something common to all M5's, I've never had the pleasure of driving one.

Have you seen the 5th gear review of it? Looks perfect in that.

My hypothesis about the m5's perfomrance was BAD tires. The stig had a good amount of oversteer at almost every corner exit. However turn-ins looked very good and had 0 understeer...which leads me to believe the rear tires were shot to hell. The front tires had enough grip to let the stig come in hot, but when he got on it at corner exit the rears had nothing. The stigg probabaly got his best lap by going in fast and coming out with a little oversteer rather than coming in slow and exiting neutral.

There is NO way bmw gave the M5 that kind of oversteer bias from the factory...its unsafe.

Also like they said, all the cars above the m5 were basically supercars.

I agree...the wheel spin in the beginning could have lost 1-2 seconds. They should have used launch control :?

subymaster said:
My hypothesis about the m5's perfomrance was BAD tires. The stig had a good amount of oversteer at almost every corner exit. However turn-ins looked very good and had 0 understeer...which leads me to believe the rear tires were shot to hell. The front tires had enough grip to let the stig come in hot, but when he got on it at corner exit the rears had nothing. The stigg probabaly got his best lap by going in fast and coming out with a little oversteer rather than coming in slow and exiting neutral. There is NO way bmw gave the M5 that kind of oversteer bias from the factory...its unsafe.

Very good analysis. Thanks for the insight, that could well have been the reason.

subymaster said:
Also like they said, all the cars above the m5 were basically supercars.

Except the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII MR FQ-320 right? That's only ?29,999 and a car that I hoped a 507bhp ?62,000 BMW M5 would beat.

http://img50.imageshack.**/img50/9308/m5speed0ty.jpg

WTF?!?

:shock: