[06x09] July 24th, 2005

I too voice my approval of the Audi chick.

Great ep, very entertaining.

The scooter segment was hilarious. Poor fella, getting the look from his wife for telling everyone on TV that the dinner party he attended was rubbish. :lol:

good episode, great jokes and a big amount of cars reviewed. really liked james telling the couple he wouldn't air the comments about the dull diner party.

swek said:
The scooter segment was hilarious. Poor fella, getting the look from his wife for telling everyone on TV that the dinner party he attended was rubbish. :lol:

And then she whispers to him "She's gonna kill you..." meaning the host of the dinner party... (I guess) Sooo funny...

Hey that was a great episode. James and Richard made up for one of the most boring segments last year: Minicabbing. Co-incidence that they just so happened to drive a new A-Class and that Citroen :roll: ?

The bit on the hot hatches was short and sweet. We all expected the GTI to be the fav however, I like that Megane...its diffrent ;)

Finally the M5 :mrgreen: That was hilarious what with GPS interupting JC :lol: I agree with him that it is such an epic car but like someone else said, it was expected to be faster than that. Its good to compare it with the 476BHP CLS55. Thats heavier and it has 4-cylinders less than the M5 yet it managed to be within a second of the M5 :) I think it was because the AMG makes up for its lack of BHP (not really :roll: ) with its gigantic torque.

Anyway great episode!

now *that's* more like - the boys are back on form. great episode, the russian roulette car testing was a classic. not a single thing wrong with that episode :thumbsup:

loved the clio owner after james said he has a student-sized amount of fuel in his Clio - "I am a scchtuudent". that whole segment was hilarious.

Shame James didn't have the guts to enter the club with the 'dancing lesbians'. That would have made excellent viewing !!! :lol:

jarborra said:
Oh, and I've gotta say, I loved the use of the Back to the Future theme when they were attempting to roll the old crappy Ford. It brought back the 80s for me.

didnt notice that first time - just re-watched, that's gold, especially with the editing too :lol:

I was a bit disappointed with the M5 review. He started off slating everything about it, then pressed the M button and all of a sudden it was back to "Generic Clarkson fast car review #344". You know, "THIS car is faster than anything, and I mean ANYTHING, I have ever driven before in my entire life." etc. etc.

OK, obviously the M5 is an awesome car, and incredibly fast, especially considering that it's a 4-door saloon. But I don't understand who would want one, the target people don't seem to exist... people who need one car to serve multiple purposes (i.e. do the school/shopping run, as well as an incredible weekend burnaround and/or track day) won't be able to afford ?62,705 for an M5. If you've got that sort of cash then surely you'd get a 330ci for the week, and something like an Elise for the weekend/track day? If you don't mind owning a 3/4 year-old car then you could probably get an M3 and and something like an Elise/Ariel Atom.

Again, I loved seeing and hearing the new M5 but it does seem like a bit of a strange choice for a car, if you can afford one. A bit of a novelty, or for someone who grew up loving the M badge... nothing wrong with that at all, but still, I was surprised Top Gear didn't say anything similar; instead it was just the same old enthusing from Jeremy with some decent music and squealing tyres. Someone said a few weeks ago that the format is brilliant but getting tired, I think I'm starting to agree.

Finally, back to their old selfs again. I just felt the last two episodes lacked, personallity.

Great moments in this episode.. 'Grrrrr I'm a Shark, I have a fin"...lol..Great Stuff..

I hope this is the right place to post. Does anybody know what the music was during the M5 segment once JC hit the M button?

Sounded a bit classical?

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Hey that was a great episode. James and Richard made up for one of the most boring segments last year: Minicabbing. Co-incidence that they just so happened to drive a new A-Class and that Citroen :roll: ?

The bit on the hot hatches was short and sweet. We all expected the GTI to be the fav however, I like that Megane...its diffrent ;)

Finally the M5 :mrgreen: That was hilarious what with GPS interupting JC :lol: I agree with him that it is such an epic car but like someone else said, it was expected to be faster than that. Its good to compare it with the 476BHP CLS55. Thats heavier and it has 4-cylinders less than the M5 yet it managed to be within a second of the M5 :) I think it was because the AMG makes up for its lack of BHP (not really :roll: ) with its gigantic torque.

Anyway great episode!

Since when has the CLS55 got a V6? :bangin:

This episode was great! One of the best ones this season :thumbsup:

When JC was bitching about the M5 being complicated, he illustrated it by saying that when "a tune you really like comes on the radio, so you think 'well i'll turn this up'...and it's gone" he had pressed the 'tune up' button rather than 'volume up' (the layout's more or less the same on my multi-function steering wheel). All he had to do was press the down arrow and his beloved Doobie Brothers would've been back on. There was no need to go through the iDrive system.

http://img347.imageshack.**/img347/5783/m5wheel9hj.jpg

Anyway...I guess his point was that the car's audio/visual interface is very difficult to use and that still stands.

And I love the grimace he pulled when he started up the engine and thought it sounded like a diesel.