[06x09] July 24th, 2005

M5 kicks ass.

No car I'd rather have. I'm a gadget freak anyways so I'd always be toying around with the iDrive.

Cosworth said:
Dont forget Kiddies, August 7th Episode will have "special" action on the test track .... 8)

Very good episode, felt it dragged on a bit tho in places ...

Ive seen a few pics, very special.Saying no more til its over

liked the ep

still like the astra even with the tourqe steer

the minibike bit was funny

and the bit with the m5 was good when clarkson stopping moaning, the cars good its just clarkson is bad with technology

even the car flip was good

the only bit i did'nt like was star in the car, but thats coz i dont like evans :D

I liked the epsiode quite a lot, much better than last weeks.

The Astra VXR was something I'd been waiting to see, and I was determined to like it whatever came out. Still I was relieved when it had a few bad points, now I don't have to have one.

Clarkson's points on the M5 were fair I thought, he's not anti-technology, he's anti useless technology. As he demonstrated when setting the time the lights stay on for after you've turned off the M5... 34 or 33 seconds, maybe 38... what a complete waste of time. But his overall verdict on the M5 was gushing... just push "M" and all is well.

Scootermen was funny... May's "The dealer must have been laughing" was particularly cruel!

i still want the vxr when i trade my sri in

i dont think clarkson is anti technology he is just useless at using it
:D

wookiewacker said:
i still want the vxr when i trade my sri in

i dont think clarkson is anti technology he is just useless at using it

I reckon you're right on the Clarkson front ;) , and by the time I weaken and start looking at a second hand VXR, there's almost certainly going to be a nice new one out with enough tweaks and fixes to make me try and stretch to it...

Sigh... :lol:

know what you mean have been holding out buying the old shape gsi and now the vxr is out i want that now, the wife was moaning about spending out on getting a gsi

does anyone have may's phone number so i could call him and ask for the audi-girl's number?? :mrgreen:

hammond racing at the red-light :thumbsup:

There hasn't been much talk of the hot hatch segment.

I thought it was pretty decent and I totally agree with the verdict.

gazzyk1ns said:
I was a bit disappointed with the M5 review. He started off slating everything about it, then pressed the M button and all of a sudden it was back to "Generic Clarkson fast car review #344". You know, "THIS car is faster than anything, and I mean ANYTHING, I have ever driven before in my entire life." etc. etc.

OK, obviously the M5 is an awesome car, and incredibly fast, especially considering that it's a 4-door saloon. But I don't understand who would want one, the target people don't seem to exist... people who need one car to serve multiple purposes (i.e. do the school/shopping run, as well as an incredible weekend burnaround and/or track day) won't be able to afford ?62,705 for an M5. If you've got that sort of cash then surely you'd get a 330ci for the week, and something like an Elise for the weekend/track day? If you don't mind owning a 3/4 year-old car then you could probably get an M3 and and something like an Elise/Ariel Atom.

Again, I loved seeing and hearing the new M5 but it does seem like a bit of a strange choice for a car, if you can afford one. A bit of a novelty, or for someone who grew up loving the M badge... nothing wrong with that at all, but still, I was surprised Top Gear didn't say anything similar; instead it was just the same old enthusing from Jeremy with some decent music and squealing tyres. Someone said a few weeks ago that the format is brilliant but getting tired, I think I'm starting to agree.

There is no reason not to want an M5.

Very decent episode. Interesting hothatch review, funny and interesting guest (I never heard of that guy but I like him), nice world record try which was not too long or too short. M5 review which was a little disappointing as he was always lamenting about all the options he had got (I would love to have such an integrated computersystem in my car!), and a, in my opinion, really messy track by the Stig, looks like he had a bad day.
The driving around with little scooters was funny and again just not too long.

I enjoyed the episode a lot.

So, when a butterfly flaps its wings in China, you"ll going into a tree
Brilliant :)

Very good episode. I think JC did a good job of pointing out yes the M5 is going tot be outstanding, everyone knows that, but it is not the end-all of cars.

The scooter service part was HILARIOUS. James and Richard are awsome. "Owww, god DAMN they should fit some SUSPENSION!!" "The interesting thing about the French nation, I think because they are essentially peasents and communists..." :lol: :lol:

and check out james face as hes trying not to laugh after saying the ride is "a bit like cranberry sauce"

http://img343.imageshack.**/img343/6735/jamesface1el.jpg

classic.

subymaster said:
Very good episode. I think JC did a good job of pointing out yes the M5 is going tot be outstanding, everyone knows that, but it is not the end-all of cars.

The scooter service part was HILARIOUS. James and Richard are awsome. "Owww, god DAMN they should fit some SUSPENSION!!" "The interesting thing about the French nation, I think because they are essentially peasents and communists..." :lol: :lol:

and check out james face as hes trying not to laugh after saying the ride is "a bit like cranberry sauce"

classic.

I liked the reply from the guy in the back - "it goes with everything??"

jeesus this episode was good, of course I loved the Megane :mrgreen:

what's with the A Class foglights going on and off all the time? I don't get it...sometimes it was the right one and sometimes it was the left one and sometimes both were off :?

RenaultFreak said:
jeesus this episode was good, of course I loved the Megane :mrgreen:

what's with the A Class foglights going on and off all the time? I don't get it...sometimes it was the right one and sometimes it was the left one and sometimes both were off :?

I noticed the fog lights too - I thought maybe each side turned on when you made a left or right turn (like a cornering light), but there were times one was on in a straight line. merc quality perhaps?