[06x09] July 24th, 2005

im noe to forun

im noe to forun

hi all i am in london and my name is sunny

i love top gear and have done since the original series and have been to all the live show and have met the gang including hammond etc

i love the latest episode with chris evans and that fabulous wheel control brill

anyway keep up the hard work guys :thumbsup:

Tires aren't the only possible culprit, an aggressive rear diff or stiff rear suspension would cause the same things to happen, that's how I had my 240 set up.

like i said before, no major carmaker in their right minds, especially bmw, would give a car that kind of oversteer bias from the factory....it would make for an extremely unsafe vehicle in the hands of the average joe. but i do understand what you are saying.....i just find that possibility highly unlikely

GodGell said:
CyberMonkey said:
I guess EVERYBODY there uses their own system instead of the metric system... :)

But in fact only "miles to the gallon" is really difficult to calculate by head :)

it really sucks. :D
1 mile is 1.609 km, that's easy to convert, but it's still annoying..

1 mile: 1.609 KM
1 Gallon: about 4.5 liters.

to turn MPG KM per Liter just divide it by 3.
35 MPG = 11.6 Km per Liter

subymaster said:
There is NO way bmw gave the M5 that kind of oversteer bias from the factory...its unsafe.
Maybe the Stig was interfered by the annoying sat-nav woman... :lol:

MixtriX said:
top gear tickets have a 19 year waiting list...

Thats because they've all been taken by the Official Richard Hammond Psycho Stalker Bint Group. Motto: "We ate all the pies, now we'll eat the Hamster."

osabros said:
GodGell said:
CyberMonkey said:
I guess EVERYBODY there uses their own system instead of the metric system... :)

But in fact only "miles to the gallon" is really difficult to calculate by head :)

That's great! Didn't figure that one out yet. Thanks!

Kokomo said:
jarborra said:
subymaster said:
My hypothesis about the m5's perfomrance was BAD tires. The stig had a good amount of oversteer at almost every corner exit. However turn-ins looked very good and had 0 understeer...which leads me to believe the rear tires were shot to hell. The front tires had enough grip to let the stig come in hot, but when he got on it at corner exit the rears had nothing. The stigg probabaly got his best lap by going in fast and coming out with a little oversteer rather than coming in slow and exiting neutral. There is NO way bmw gave the M5 that kind of oversteer bias from the factory...its unsafe.

Very good analysis. Thanks for the insight, that could well have been the reason.

subymaster said:
Also like they said, all the cars above the m5 were basically supercars.

Except the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII MR FQ-320 right? That's only ?29,999 and a car that I hoped a 507bhp ?62,000 BMW M5 would beat.

http://img50.imageshack.**/img50/9308/m5speed0ty.jpg

WTF?!?

:shock:

Well, you have to factor most of the things Tiff said in his review. The M5 is one fat lard of a car with all that luxury and safety equipment on it. It's not the tires... if it was it wouldn't be too much. Upgrade the tires on the CLS55 and it'd post similar times to the M5 as it stands.

The Evo has standard amenties, weighs a whole lot less and screams out of corners with every acronym under the sun helping it's AWD. You also forget acceleration that's just as fast as the M5. And with the Evo IX posting 4 seconds faster than the VIII MR on the Nordschiefe, the Evo always is a performance bargain it was designed to be.

You also have to consider the M5 against it's Merc rival, which is better looking... more luxurious and easy to use... and that much more effortless as an everyday car. It's only a step slower... and that's on the outgoing AMG SC V8. Oh... and the Merc won't blow up after you flog it like the M5.

People that buy an M5 are people that want a luxury/status car that drives like a sports car and goes like one. That it definitely does. It's slightly different from customers purchasing a high end AMG. Those customers want a blend of luxury and effortless mindbending power. If you've ever had the pleasure of putting your foot down on a 55 or even a 65 AMG you know what I mean.

Oh BTW, I don't want the new M5... it seems like it would spend most of its time breaking everytime it gets flogged so why not buy the E55/CLS55 and take the money you save for a Gixxer for your kicks on the track... can't quite afford the Evo IX unless you drop down to a E500 + Evo.

The new M5 fails where the old one dazzled... it's not both a comfy sedan that's screaming fast to drive. It's a fragile, overcomplicated, hairy supersedan that isn't as comfy as its rivals (RS6, E55/CLS55, STypeR, etc)... it's hopefully cheaper than a Maserati Quattroporte or else, you might as well buy that one since it didn't blow up when Vicky drove it and it has normal controls instead of crappy iDrive.

EDIT: I just noticed that even on it's POS crap OE tires... the Vette is right there. Buy Vette and luxury sedan for price of M5.

screw the 'vette and buy a Tuscan for the same price, and it is 2 seconds faster!

CyberMonkey said:

A Imperial (British) gallon is 4.545L
A Retarded (US) gallon is 3.785L

Everyone should just use the metric system and 24 hour time, it'd solve most of the world's problems.

At any rate China uses litres (only they're called Sheng) and so does India so I doubt it'll be long before the UK and the US give in.

According to http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/internat.htm the only countries other than the US that have not officially adopted the metric system are Liberia and Myanmar.

jamaica.gif

Nicol Bolas said:
CyberMonkey said:

A Imperial (British) gallon is 4.545L
A Retarded (US) gallon is 3.785L

Everyone should just use the metric system and 24 hour time, it'd solve most of the world's problems.

At any rate China uses litres (only they're called Sheng) and so does India so I doubt it'll be long before the UK and the US give in.

According to http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/internat.htm the only countries other than the US that have not officially adopted the metric system are Liberia and Myanmar.

jamaica.gif

Saying something like that might get Australia invaded by some American troops. Then the entire continent would be turned into a place where everyone sends their criminals.

...oh wait.

Audi woman was great, she should do some car reviews.

CyberMonkey said:
It doesn't only seem more logic, it is more logic :). But I hope, as I suppose the metric system is teached in school, it will be picked up eventually after a couple of generations.

i hope so, too, but a couple of generatgions sounds a lot of time to me. why does it take so long to adopt logic? :D

anyway, this TG was very good. the m5 segment was funny until he pressed the m button - after that he aws just over-exaggerating everything. "faster than anything i've ever driven" you drove a Diablo. that's faster than anything you've

ever driven. an m5 is far behind.

the scooterman thing was funny, too. :) the audi chick was awesome. and those 2 girls hamster picked up.. mm.. nice :D
hamster pretending to race that Supra was hilarious, too.

note: the spelling mistakes aren't my fault. really. it's because i'm not used to not seeing what i type. it's Viper's fautl for using black text on dark blue background. and it's also annoying having to ctrl+a every time i read the forum to be able to see viper's color scheme of white on white.

osabros said:
GodGell said:
CyberMonkey said:

Yeah that its super rough mate... and is up shit creek without a paddle when used in the US

35 Miles Per UK Gallon is 12.5 km per litre... Here in australia its how many litres per 100kms.

Leppy said:
osabros said:
GodGell said:
CyberMonkey said:

Yeah that its super rough mate... and is up shit creek without a paddle when used in the US

35 Miles Per UK Gallon is 12.5 km per litre... Here in australia its how many litres per 100kms.

Here I found this table on a website ages ago! Really help's to get the fuel consumption!:thumbsup:
mpg.jpg

it is a Supra.
hamster_vs_supra.jpg

black on blue??? your internet must hate you because I see black on white....

"your internet must hate you".. rofl :D

when looking at forum threads, it's white on white, because the html sets the background color but not the foreground color. so if the default foreground color happens to be white, you're screwed.
when posting new stuff (except for this quick reply thing), the case is the other way around, it sets the foreground color, but not the background color. so if your default bgcolor happens to be dark, you're
screwed... :)

GodGell said:
it is a Supra.
hamster_vs_supra.jpg

Sorry, but that's a Nissan 300ZX, with a bodykit. ;)