[06x10] July 31st, 2005

Sorry, dont have time to read all 5 pages but this episode saved the whole "average" TG season IMO. It was absolutely great!. :woot: One of the best ever, if not, the best. I cant remember enjoying every moment of the episode as i did now, ever. Mark Webber was :thumbsup:. Did anyone else realized they didnt say "some say.." about the stig?. I like those, so hopefully, next episode they'll be back. Unbelieveable episode. Saved the whole season !! :bow:

Re: Flying Spur

logo said:
flyingfridge said:
nm055 said:
In James' review, how could he claim that the Flying Spur was the fastest four-door when last week they said the M5 could do 'over 200' sans limiter?

Ah but the M5 does have a limiter, and unlike AMG if you ask M to remove the limiter they will say 'nein'. So as it leaves the factory the M5 is only capable of 155mph, therefore, the Bentley is faster. :bangin:

but you can remove the limiter.. and now bmw dropped the limiter thing, so it will reach 200mph.. btw i thought that e class brabus was the fastest sedan.. don't take all the info from top gear too seriously, they have alot of incorrect info, I notice atleast one in each episode.

The Brabus is a modified Mercedes, therefore it's not a 'production car' as such. The only way to remove the limiter from an M5 is by way of the aftermarket. And yes, you are right about the factual shortcomings of Top Gear, but you didn't really read the forum before posting, did you?

Great episode, all the segments were entertaining.

It was great to see Webber on TG but for the person that said he is usually more uptight on TV he is everywhere but on RPM, but that goes for most drivers.

It would be cool though to see Craig Lowndes or Marcos Ambrose do a lap in the Liana to see if they are better than Webber which seems to be a popular opinion down here.

spamman said:

It was great to see Webber on TG but for the person that said he is usually more uptight on TV he is everywhere but on RPM, but that goes for most drivers.

It would be cool though to see Craig Lowndes or Marcos Ambrose do a lap in the Liana to see if they are better than Webber which seems to be a popular opinion down here.

Hmm, a popular opinion I am yet to hear anyway... In an open wheeler Webber would maul both Ambrose and Lowndes hands down. In the V8 Supercars I'd be willing to wager that the competition would be tight with the Touring car drivers coming out on top, simply because of Ambrose and Lowndes familiarity with the cars. In the Liana, it's surely to be all Webber. There is a reason why Craig Lowndes returned to V8 Supercars after trying to follow the F1 path in Europe. He didn't make it. Same story for Jason Bright only that was in America. Webber did make it to the big time, not only on sponsorship (*Ahem, Alex Yoong*) but off the back of his own talent. He did have a lucky break with Paul Stoddart and Minardi, but Jaguar picked him up because of talent he demonstrated with Minardi and same for Williams BMW. Even still, he wouldn't have got the break with Minardi if it wasn't for his good performances in Formula (I think it was 3000) and strong performances as test driver for Renault when they were backmarking testing their extra wide angle V10.

On talent alone, Webber would kick any other local driver's arse. He's the only one to have made it to the top since Alan Jones. And for good reason.

flyingfridge said:
On talent alone, Webber would kick any other local driver's arse. He's the only one to have made it to the top since Alan Jones. And for good reason.
David Brabham will be quite sad to hear that ;) And the team he drove for was even mentioned in this very episode!

MafiaMan said:
Isn't a Brabus E -class the fastest. 206mph(330km/h)

Read above before asking the same question again!

flyingfridge said:
The Brabus is a modified Mercedes, therefore it's not a 'production car' as such. The only way to remove the limiter from an M5 is by way of the aftermarket. And yes, you are right about the factual shortcomings of Top Gear, but you didn't really read the forum before posting, did you?

Great ep, The BMW 535d and the Iceland segments are great. The offroad toys segment is kinda too long. But overall a great ep. Thanks for the 350mb ver.

VMax said:
flyingfridge said:
David Brabham will be quite sad to hear that ;) And the team he drove for was even mentioned in this very episode!

Ah S#!+!! My bad, bit of a factual error there on my part. Serves me right for going on a rant eh? Of course it was David Brabham!! Maybe I was crossing my wires with the last Aussie at Williams stat. Sorry 'bout that!!

BTW love the new sig watto "Have some of my South African Peace Crisps" GOLDEN.

While i'm on the subject of complimenting people, love the Avatar MafiaMan!! Know where i can find a hi res ver?

I've been looking on the BMW UK site and am intrigued to see that the largest engine apparently available is the 3.0L (in 530i and 535d)...

Where's the 545i that they raced the diesel against?? Is this a mistake or isn't it on sale in the UK any more? :?

The Flying spur will atually do 208mph, thats what it reached at the Nardo.

Good episode, far from "the best ever" though, the toys bit and the iceland river run thing are making it more of an entertainment show, i dont know why they tested the BMWd there are hundreds of more exciting faster cars they havent tested.

If they had done a review on somthing like Autograss racing where a more extreme buggys (some have supercharged V8's, turbo hayabusa engines etc) are raced then it would have been better. These things go from 0-85mph in 3.0 seconds! They make them rage things look like fisher price kiddy shit.

I myslef race in autograss, different class/different car.
http://img142.imageshack.**/img142/7479/1906053448pb.th.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.**/img142/613/2606050637pv.th.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.**/img142/8748/aa4sv.th.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.**/img142/1388/gff8oq.th.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.**/img142/4861/sss6dj.th.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.**/img142/4996/hnhg2rt.th.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.**/img142/6662/nwa0942zm.th.jpg

It made me laugh alot though 8)

OMG watto, u are right!! :lol: If u use the custom configurator though the 540i and the 550i are available.... weird

^^ But then it was "outdoor toys" and not "outdoor racing gear"

Buba

jamesf38 said:
The people who want a ` I AM THE STIG` shirt make ...your own?

Surely they wont cost much . Black shirt , screen printing. In New Zealand where im from to do yourserlf $25 including shirt. ( screen printing embroidery shop). Thats about 8 pounds UK people.....

it wouldnt be that hard... the problem is that on the back of the t-shirt is a picture of the stig standing and i have no idea where i can get a picture like that that i can print on a shirt...

and about the BMW 535d... jeremy is wrong!! it isnt the first diesel on the track!!! on the 18/7/2004 they had the Fabia VRS which is a diesel...

And the Peugeot Racecar in 1x7... But only Richar Burns drove it there...

Buba

Both the f1 drivers took a different line than stig in turn 1. Anyone care to explain why it could be. And which line is faster.

osabros said:
jamesf38 said:
The people who want a ` I AM THE STIG` shirt make ...your own?

Surely they wont cost much . Black shirt , screen printing. In New Zealand where im from to do yourserlf $25 including shirt. ( screen printing embroidery shop). Thats about 8 pounds UK people.....

it wouldnt be that hard... the problem is that on the back of the t-shirt is a picture of the stig standing and i have no idea where i can get a picture like that that i can print on a shirt...

Yeah, easy i made this design in a couple of mins :)
http://img301.imageshack.**/img301/6312/stsh5au.th.jpg

flyingfridge said:

That good reason I keep hearing was that he had the money behind him.

Ambrose's results were better than Webber's in the comps they were in but he ran out of funding where Mick Doohan opened his wallet for Webber.

spamman said:

He certainly is more uptight on other programs. When he is talking to Billy Woods on RPM I look at the screen and yell "Loosen up Mark, we all support you!".
As for your thought of "Traitor" Craig and "Big ego" Marcos: Well Craig will blow an engine (which he is very good at :lol: ) and Marcos will probly play dirty and get away with it :x
As you can tell, its clear where I stand...in the red corner :thumbsup:
flyingfridge said:
spamman said:

Hmm, a popular opinion I am yet to hear anyway... In an open wheeler Webber would maul both Ambrose and Lowndes hands down. In the V8 Supercars I'd be willing to wager that the competition would be tight with the Touring car drivers coming out on top, simply because of Ambrose and Lowndes familiarity with the cars. In the Liana, it's surely to be all Webber. There is a reason why Craig Lowndes returned to V8 Supercars after trying to follow the F1 path in Europe. He didn't make it. Same story for Jason Bright only that was in America. Webber did make it to the big time, not only on sponsorship (*Ahem, Alex Yoong*) but off the back of his own talent. He did have a lucky break with Paul Stoddart and Minardi, but Jaguar picked him up because of talent he demonstrated with Minardi and same for Williams BMW. Even still, he wouldn't have got the break with Minardi if it wasn't for his good performances in Formula (I think it was 3000) and strong performances as test driver for Renault when they were backmarking testing their extra wide angle V10.

Thats a given cos the V8's are bloody difficult to take control of and require a lot of talent to control. The F1's/openwheelers have traction control and launch control and all those electronic aids and the driving is controled more or less by electricity. I guess i'm saying F1 drivers have it easy because they dont need to "man-handle" their mechines like our proper racers in the V8 series do. Thats the way racing should be ;)