[07x01] November 13th, 2005

Renesis

Lazier than Viper
Car(s)
2007 BMW Z4 3.0 SI
For those who have seen it post here, other DON'T READ because there WILL BE spoilers.

Once again, Clarkson lays into the BMW iDrive on the M6. Completely unjustified. Yes it's a picky system but it works well, and if you want the car permanently in M-mode, you only have to set it once. They make out like you have to do it every time you start the car.

I'm surprised the 911 won, would have thought it would have been the aston for definate.

Average show, but still worth the wait.

Once again, Clarkson lays into the BMW iDrive on the M6. Completely unjustified. Yes it's a picky system but it works well, and if you want the car permanently in M-mode, you only have to set it once. They make out like you have to do it every time you start the car.

But its still way more work than the other cars it was compared too.

And was that Porsche 911 time difference a bit too much? They should have done it on the track imo.

Absolutely top notch episode to kick off the new season.

The review of the Ascari was brilliant. Richard had a very mature and professional manner about him which bodes well for future reviews. Not sure I agree though that because its quite sensible that it takes away from it. I mean you would still take notice if it drove past you. Plus it set a brilliant time. :D

The guest was very good. A funny interview and a new fastest driver (not time though) :|

The three car comparison was the best yet by far. I was worried Jeremy would decide quickly that he preffered the Aston just for being an Aston and not even consider the others but he was very objective about it. Also I agree that it was the correct result. Stigs a braver driver than ill ever be for doing that kind of speed on those narrow wet and slippy roads :?

Overall just fantastic so no complants :x

Kip_6666 said:
But its still way more work than the other cars it was compared too.

It was just the only one they showed. Clarkson did exactly the same thing on his M5 review.

Surprised he said so many nice things about it in the end though.

Yeah, great episode - really loved it! Definately better than the current crop of fifth gear I feel.

Also, did anyone else feel from the three car shootout segment (Aston vs. BMW Vs. Porsche) that it really was like the three of them were just mates talking about cars? I thought it was really cool (esp. the fishing bit, as wierd as it was in a way) the way that they were just standing round talking about the pros and cons of each car - like mates who've just been on a few test drives.

Laughed loads, def. good fun!

Edit: oh yeah, the star in the reasonably priced car bit was actually really good this time, even though I never watch Waking the Dead. The self destructing Suzuki was particularly enjoyable! :)

The slips from the next segments look awesome btw.

cheap car challenge seems great, plus the current crop supercar test looks great (Hammond diggin a zonda into the ground).

I'm predicting one hell of a good run.

:shock: well worth the wait, this episode

I never would have believed the Porsche could post the fastest time on those roads! The BMW has got 140 hp more!! where did it all go?

also, it has to be said that the result would be quite different had it been dry and sunny

the KZ1 was just awesome, I was expecting a 1.25-1.30 lap but to come up with that time! it must all be down to weight and grip because 500 hp is nothing at that end of the lap chart

cant wait for the Bugatti episode though, and it does seem that Jeremy is racing the other two boys to some far off destination (yet again) this series

fantastic!

lmao about the french car joke .. :D

And watching the trailer I'm finally gonna see hammond gettin' shot

thats the first review of any three cars they've done which I felt was almost justified. My personal choice would have been the Vantage simply because it looks so amazing, I mean did you see those LED headlights?!?!?! Sure for guys like JC and such who drive super cars for a living, the V8 might not have as much kick as they would like, but for guys like myself I'm sure the thrill of driving one, let alone owning one would be out of this world. Still though, tough choice. I don't like the choice of horse power on the M6 and dont see the point. Its a brutal looking ride though, but I agree that getting the M5 makes more sense; more car for less. The S is cool, but looks too much like a Boxster which does it for me. Its a purist car for those who understand it, and to everyone else, its just a Porsche.

A great episode and good laugh, loved the Stig at the airport part, could NOT stop laughing. I'm guessing the huge time difference had to do with the BMW's weight over both cars, not sure why the Vantage was so slow though...

Great episode. Nice to see my daily drive into work featured in so much detail. I agree about the BMW. Where did the power go. The section that The Stig did the timed run on is mostly striaght & uphill so power should win. I guess it just lacks grip in the wet

Carrera S - 1,420kg
M6 - 1,710kg

+ handling + suspension = No doubt about the winner. ;)

I was suprised by only one thing. I knew porsche will be the fastest, but I didn't expect 6seconds over such a short distance. :thumbsup:

"Cocks Buy Porsches".

Heh heh heh.

Say's the wise man who bought a car that was basically unusable and had to be returned.

James and Richard should've had a t-shirt saying:

"Only cocks take back unusable broken ford GTs." :p

garethpeate said:
you obviously dont know what the I-drive is like on the move. i was in my friends dad's 7 series and it was so fucking annoying just trying to mess with the stereo. Sure it was the first time that i've used it. but in the Audi A8, there is another similar type of knob that controls everything, and it isnt even close to being as confusing.

you don't have to use I-drive while driving, you vahe controlls for the radio on the steeringwheel.
The BS about the settings is rubbish, that's why you have the button with the big M on the steeringwheel, just like in the M5. Other than that, great episode, great laughs and I'm bloody looking forward to the rest of the series. It's just such a shame there are only 5 more episodes to go :(

Well worth the wait!
The 3 car shootout was brilliant LOL the fishing/umbrella/the stig. Fair play to the stig twas bloody wet there and he didn?t crash!

I want to know what Clarkson had that made them shut up!

That KZ1 was awesome what a good British car, How many car parks must Hammond have opened to be able to afford a Morgan and a Porsche when at the begging of the year he was struggling to by a ?20000 charger!

Cant wait till next week :thumbsup: :thumbsup: