[07x05] December 11th, 2005

oliB said:
Dins said:
oliB said:
Dins said:
oliB said:
Dins said:
[
the zonda weighs 1228kg, while the veyron weighs about 2100kg.
The Veyron weighs 1950kg. That's not exactly ?ber light, still 150kg lighter than what you said though. ;)

it said 4200pounds somewhere.
Well, 4200 pounds would translate to exactly 1905 kg. ;)

really? then the google numbers were wrong, i even used a calculator. maybe that is why i'm not doing so well in finance :mrgreen:
1kg equals 2,205 pounds. Many people think 1kg=2 pounds, that's only good for a rather rough estimate though.

1 pound = 0.45359237 kilograms is what i used. so don't ask me how i got 2100, having done it again and getting 1905kg. good job on my part

gtrietsc said:
So, am I the only one who noticed that in the Marcos segment, the jetliner it was parked next to had no engines?

I noticed too ... that 747 has been there all season ... does it have any use?

I've just noticed something in the news section.

Look
http://img476.imageshack.**/img476/1923/before5ac.jpg
the box is closed

And after:
http://img22.imageshack.**/img22/2765/after0py.jpg
box is open

So they sadly cuted out some part of the news. :cry:

I have to agree with someone in here who said that the show was OK but didn't feel like we (as the audience) was apart of the race like the last 3 races.

But I still think this show/episode is still hell of better than 98% of crappy reality shows that dominate the airwaves here in the States.

when is the show repeated? is it now? or later this evening? or is it already too late? :cry:

gtrietsc said:
So, am I the only one who noticed that in the Marcos segment, the jetliner it was parked next to had no engines?

I noticed that too. I remember someone mentioning that the engines had been auctioned off(??)

I guess I noticed because the Marcos was was boring looking to me. :)

Give me a Sagaris instead, I'd be much happier with axe murderer than boring Canadian-English styling :p

Here's my question: Pretty much the whole point of the Veryon is its ridiculous top speed. So that begs the question, why didn't at least part of the race go through Germany? That way we could've at least seen the speedo dip past 200mph (even for a short blast). Some in car shots passing cars on the Autobahn would give you a really good idea of its raw power.

If I had the opportunity to drive the Bugatti cross continent I'd sure as hell be making a trip through Germany.

If I had one problem with Top Gear right now it's the producers letting Richard do the "Hand it over to our tamed racing driver (some say)" monologue instead of Jeremy. :thumbsdown: Only Jeremy could pull that off with humor and wit.

Dark_Templer_102 said:
What was with the power jump during about 26 mins or something when it show the power guage thing, when it jumps from 500 hp to like 800 hp instally..?
thats the power guage, it indicates how much power you are using at the moment.

Dark_Templer_102 said:
What was with the power jump during about 26 mins or something when it show the power guage thing, when it jumps from 500 hp to like 800 hp instally..?

Yeah that looked like it had been faked to me too.

JC probably had the transmission in auto, did a kickdown and then the car selected a lower gear.

Zoboomafoo_dude said:
Here's my question: Pretty much the whole point of the Veryon is its ridiculous top speed. So that begs the question, why didn't at least part of the race go through Germany? That way we could've at least seen the speedo dip past 200mph (even for a short blast). Some in car shots passing cars on the Autobahn would give you a really good idea of its raw power.

If I had the opportunity to drive the Bugatti cross continent I'd sure as hell be making a trip through Germany.

Germany isn't really on route from Italy to England, it wouldn't make sense to take a detour on a race. (Althouhg people in Cessna airplanes do that :p ) Besides, I don't think the German Autobahn is the best place to drive over 200 MPH in a 840.000 GBP car...

Clarkson has not the driving skills nor the guts to drive the Veyron near its limits, he was just cruising.

Jimi Hendrix said:
Clarkson has not the driving skills nor the guts to drive the Veyron near its limits, he was just cruising.

"I didn?t care. On a recent drive across Europe I desperately wanted to reach the top speed but I ran out of road when the needle hit 240mph. Where, astonishingly, it felt planted. Totally and utterly rock steady. It felt sublime."

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1890873,00.html

driedees said:
Germany isn't really on route from Italy to England, it wouldn't make sense to take a detour on a race. (Althouhg people in Cessna airplanes do that :p ) Besides, I don't think the German Autobahn is the best place to drive over 200 MPH in a 840.000 GBP car...
Well, the route they've taken was completely random. They could've just thought up a different story in which they'd have to go from Austria (or northeastern Italy) to Great Britain. That route would have taken them through Germany.

As for doing 200+ mph on the Autobahn. It's quite possible and been done many times. For instance, close to where I live there's a stretch of the Autobahn A5 with a 6+ mile straight and four lanes. Back in the 30s they were setting world speed records on this particular road. In 1938 Rudolf Caracciola did 268mph with his Mercedes-Benz there.

Just for the record:
EVO article about the Carrera GT doing 200mph on the A5

Road&Track does 217mph on the Autobahn with a Ruf Rt12

Road&Track said:
"Keep it floored, keep it floored!" shouted Alois Ruf over the din of his 650-bhp Rt 12. "Uh, okay," I thought. "There's a corner coming up, we're going over 200 mph, it's 1 a.m. on the Autobahn and I'm passing cars like they're standing still. But if this guy doesn't think I should lift, no problem on my end."

Why Ruf trusted me enough to ride along as I wrung out his latest pumped-up Porsche (the Rt 12 signifies his 12th version of a Porsche 911 Turbo), I'll never know. But he did. And with our impossibly accurate Racelogic VBOX satellite-based timing system still hooked up from acceleration testing earlier in the day, we achieved 217.1 mph. On the street. At night. No sissy 5-mile oval for us.
My record is 170mph as a passenger and 160mph as a driver, I need a faster car. :mrgreen:

Jimi Hendrix said:

As someone has already said, I beg to differ. His skills are negotiable, but I think he has the guts to drive that fast.