[08x01] May 7th, 2006

Ooh! James May's hair looks lovely in the garage segment (08.00)

cant wait to see what the Z06 can do!

I have to say that the CCX is a much better engineered car. It cranks 800+ hp with twin superchargers from 4,7lt while veyron gets 1001hp from 8lt with quad (!!) turbochargers. It costs 3 times less, it doesn't have as many radiators as your house and should be faster around a track due to weight and drag issues. Anyone would choose the CCX over the Veyron. Eitherway, Veyron was just an experiment car so that the motor industry could finally produce a car that has 1001 stock horsepower. The CCX's purpose was to build an ultimate speeding and cornering machine. And they are really close to their target.

I'm finished with the off-topic discussion, back to the episode review: I LOVED IT :D Really looking forward to see the CCX-with-spoiler lap time.

Prophet Of Noise said:
I have to say that the CCX is a much better engineered car.
Doubt it.

The Veyron is as reliable as a Golf!
It had to endure the same the winter and long-term durability testing, etc. as every other car released by VW. And a supercar (read: the worlds most powerful car!) going through all that is just amazing, in my eyes.
Which means it won't break down, overheat in a traffic jam, it works from -30?C to +50?C, doesn't need an engine rebuild every couple of thousand miles, can be used as a daily driver and so on and so forth.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Koenigsegg too. It's amazing for what it is, but it's very different from a Veyron.

Oliver

oliB said:
Doubt it.
Yes, I didn't express it as i should. Koenigsegg is engineered to be a better supercar IMHO, while the Veyron was meant to be a motorsport revolution.

was quite disappointed with this ep... the studio bits felt a bit dry, and it felt like they were trying too hard to link segments... it didnt flow very well. for example, when they went from the news to the civic review, i seriously thought that there was something wrong with the rip and that there was a chunk missing

but the content was very good. reviews were great, the star in the RPC were funny and the ppl carrier... lol!

anyway, reviews = :thumbsup: studio bits = :thumbsdown: which is a shame, cos its the studio bits which makes top gear stand out

Prophet Of Noise said:
oliB said:
Doubt it.
Yes, I didn't express it as i should. Koenigsegg is engineered to be a better supercar IMHO, while the Veyron was meant to be a motorsport revolution.

Veyron? Motorsport?? You're kidding aren't you?

Motorsport had nothing whatsoever to do with Veyron's existence. Love it or hate it (I'm in the latter camp, so this isn't fanboy talk) - the Veyron's engineering is a truly amazing feat, and as good as the Koenigsegg's engineering is the Veyron is on a different level altogether.

That being said - the day I win the lottery I'm joining the queue for a CCX.

Veyron as a motorsport revolution--I doubt that.

Veyron as an AUTOMOTIVE revolution--I would accept that.

fbc said:
Prophet Of Noise said:
oliB said:
Doubt it.

Motorsport had nothing whatsoever to do with Veyron's existence

Yeah!....

Well everything except for the name Bugatti... And the name Veyron... And all the testing at motorsport tracks... And company who helped build the gearbox...

But Yeah! not a damn thing to do with motorsport!

Anyone else notice that between 42:15 and 42:16 there's a tiny couple frame flash of a CCX with the carbon wheels? (not like the one Jeremy is driving). Just thought it was a bit strange, like they spliced in promotional footage just for a split second.

Re: Robot in the Civic segment

Re: Robot in the Civic segment

df223mstrsgt said:
spiffySRQ asked:
Did anyone notice, during the civic review, that Robot in the background that kept changing colors....I looked on the French Theme Park Site provided earlier and I saw no mention of it, also...it looked very Photoshopped in...it looks like the robot from the orignal lost in space???? Any thoughts???

Looks like Robbie the Robot from "Forbidden Planet"
HA! damn good eye you got there. i completely missed that, and yea it is good ol' Robby

pic:

http://img143.imageshack.**/img143/5712/robby7po.th.jpg

More interesting than that was the 75% of so of an R33-GTR Skyline in the background in the Espace segment :)

anyone?

anyone?

1-jermy was saying if it was tuned to run of bionic ful it will produce 950 bhp .What's bionic fuel?
2- In the segment of cutting of the roof of the van jemy motioned he has a CLK Merc!!! I thought he had only a Ford GT and the SL500? Any one has an info on that?

Re: anyone?

Re: anyone?

mizofatso said:
1-jermy was saying if it was tuned to run of bionic ful it will produce 950 bhp .What's bionic fuel?
2- In the segment of cutting of the roof of the van jemy motioned he has a CLK Merc!!! I thought he had only a Ford GT and the SL500? Any one has an info on that?

1)Bio fuel...probably means something like E85, which is an 85/15 ethanol-gas mix.

2)Jeremy owns an SLK55, I believe.

On the Koenigsegg:

With sufficient rear traction, the Koenigsegg will be very tough to beat. I think the CCX with the wing will shatter the Zonda's time, and they Veyron will have a difficult time trying to beat it.

For one, the CCX has a better power to weight ratio than the Veyron, and the TG track does favor speed, what with all the long straights.

In addition, I find it hard to believe that the Veyron's handling is at a supercar level. I mean it's such a pig. And Clarkson never made any mention of the handling in the race from last season..it was all "Powah, powah, powaaaahhh!". In fact, I've never read anything about the Veyron's handling ability mentioned, in any publication.

Saracen said:
In addition, I find it hard to believe that the Veyron's handling is at a supercar level. I mean it's such a pig. And Clarkson never made any mention of the handling in the race from last season..it was all "Powah, powah, powaaaahhh!". In fact, I've never read anything about the Veyron's handling ability mentioned, in any publication.
Jeremy actually wrote this in his Times article about the Veyron:
Jeremy Clarkson said:
And then I reached the Alps where, unbelievably, it got better. I expected this road rocket to be absolutely useless in the bends but it felt like a big Lotus Elise.
Full article: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1890873,00.html

Furthermore, Gordon Murray, the designer of the McLaren F1, said in TG magazine that he was very surprised how well the Veyron handles on a track.

No Boss said:
fbc said:
Prophet Of Noise said:
oliB said:
Doubt it.

Motorsport had nothing whatsoever to do with Veyron's existence

Yeah!....

Well everything except for the name Bugatti... And the name Veyron... And all the testing at motorsport tracks... And company who helped build the gearbox...

But Yeah! not a damn thing to do with motorsport!

Veyron still has no relevance to motorsport - if it was being developed with a motorsport future in mind, or was a test-bed for motorsport products then sure. But just because the company has a motorsport heritage and motorsport companies were involved in it, does not mean the vehicle itself has anything to do with or related to motorsport. Hell Lotus do development work for plenty of companies and I'm sure those prototypes are run on race tracks - does that mean those shiny new cars are in some way motorsport-related? Of course not.

And what a brilliant start to an absolutely mind blowing series of an absolutely astonishing automobile show.

Love the new changes. Unsure about the dog
Unsure about the new reasonably priced car.

But oh man, the CCX made it all worth it. This show is the best thing one can ever behold on a television screen.

Loved it. Loved it. And I didn't notice much scripts and all that either. Much original than past episodes.

I love it... 8)

But i'm afraid that all this change might cause their sense of petroleum ingenuity and just move the show away from just utter simplicity and straight-forwardness of extravagant cars.

GraemeH said:
Shoot me for saying it, but the studio segments aren't very good. Well, not as good as they used to be. They don't seem relaxed or comfortable, and the dog is pointless.

To me, they came across as trying too hard instead of just being 3 chaps mucking about.

I liked the old intro and studio myself. As an American, that show is incredibly fresh each week. There was nothing wrong with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Who was the WELL SPOKEN GENTLEMAN as a star. As an American, I have no idea who he was and they never said.<<--nevermind, read the whole thread now.

Show still had something wrong with it lacking from the previous seasons' beginnings. Hard to put a finger on...but you could tell it was there, or in this case, wasn't there.

^ Yeah I agree.

Hate it when people try too hard. The great thing about Top Gear, and I hope it comes back, was the confidence, relaxed atmosphere, and presented itself well with its simplicity as merely a programme about cars. (fullstop)

Not some beauty pageant or some other creative TV show. An honest, modest, original show.