[08x02] May 14th, 2006

ClarksonIsFat said:
ClarksonIsFat, where did you get the Ferrari/Z06 reflection image in your sig? Is it a screen cap? I'd love to find a high-res version for a desktop wallpaper.

youngwarrior said:
jetsetter said:
The testing of the Z06 was great and the Corvette really surprised me, though the handling isn't as good as a European car.

Really.....hahah. The Z06 handles great and it would have not made it so fast around the track if it could not handle as well as it does.

but that comparison for me, is insultng

You really need to get off your high horse man. What makes it insulting? The cars are in the same class and competing against each other in the markets.

How come cars with up to 120hp less are faster than Z06 if its such a great handler? Most sports car companies new toys are coming out over the next two years so it will slip back down soon enough.

They are not in each others markets, a ferrari is a exotic, luxury sport car, the Z06 is heavy track car.

Shall I post the lap times?

1 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
2 Maserati MC12 1.18.9
3 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
4 Ariel Atom 1.19.5
5 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
6 Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4
7 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7
8 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
9 Ford GT 1.21.9
10 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
11 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
12 Corvette Z06 1.22.4
13 Murcielago 1.23.7 (580 hp)
14 Zonda 1.23.8
15 Koenigsegg 1.23.9 (806 bhp)

The Covette is actually faster than many of the other cars that have more power.

after 13 pages of discussion i think mostly everything has been said, i mostly concur with ChaoZ, i tried to rewatch this episode and i kept skipping, specially the radio bit, i thought it had potential when i first read about it but in execution it just fell short and flat on its face. i tried watching it again and it just didn't make me laugh as much as for an instance the making of the renault espace roadster zzr, this time they should have renamed it... "how hard can it be... to make an intentionally cringing and unfunny radio show?" the answer is: not hard at all ... in fact, give me the mic, i can do that myself.
Manniac

Mods, this is a public plea for you to delete the numerous pages of total shit that have filled this episode discussion. It's a disgrace that so many people think they have to act like children and argue on the internet to get their point across.

This is the worst ep discussion ever.

That is all.

tloekke said:
gldude said:
tloekke said:
The corvette. Where I live, it costs about the same as a ferrari.
Jeezus - where do you live, anyway?

Norway, of course. There's a tax on displacement, which make the prices on vettes and similar cars soar.
Ah, I see... I'd forgotten about displacement taxes.

You should lobby for an inverse fuel economy tax instead :). Makes more sense, in a way, than taxing displacement which is only an indirect function of economy.

When I said I found insulting a comparison between a Ferrari and a Corvette I didn't intend to sound out of the line, but I do consider it rather too much to say there's no difference between a Ferrari and a Corvette considering the history - both in the streets and on tracks - the segment to which each of these cars belong to, the interiors and quality, the efficiency of the motor, handling, suspension, etc.

Of course the Z06 handles very well, because it's meant to be and it's a track car, but if you compare it to the handling of other cars, such as a ferrari, it is poor. As I said, I really like the Z06 and I've followed it since it was released and it's a great car and a great improvement over the standard quality of previous models. In the case of a Ferrari, it isn't just a horsy badge, that badge means so much that basically sums up as the confidence of not having any mechanical problems or disturbances neither in a track nor in a day-by-day driving.

To finish this, I also consider it absurd if you revise the lap times of, say, the Ferrari 360 and the Z06 in the same track, driven by the same pilot (the Stig):

Ferrari 360 CS: 1.22.3
Corvette Z06: 1.22.4

Now consider this:
Ferrari 360 CS: 3.6 L, V8, 400 BHP
Z06: 7.0 L, V8, 505 BHP

For me, being a fraction faster than a car which has nearly half you CCs means efficiency and ability, that's basically all I have to say.

If you sum bits and bits, the 100,000 has an explanation, not only in the higher quality, but of course due to the fact that in a ferrari you pay exclusivity, uniqueness and the right to own that car. 8)

^Are you sure this wasn't meant to be in the Z06 vs 360 thread? Also note that the 360 you've compared it to for the lap times is the CS (note also the GT3 RS has the same time), the hardcore, stripped out, no holes barred version. For the Z06 (with it's sat nav, air bags, leather etc) to be that close is a damn good effort.

zenkidori said:
Jesus H Christ some of you are totally fucking retarded.

Hehehehehe. :oops:

http://img105.imageshack.**/img105/4228/11404218023737iy9lg.jpg

youngwarrior said:
How come cars with up to 120hp less are faster than Z06 if its such a great handler? Most sports car companies new toys are coming out over the next two years so it will slip back down soon enough.

They are not in each others markets, a ferrari is a exotic, luxury sport car, the Z06 is heavy track car.

You do know we're talking about the lighter, faster Z06 not the regular Corvette right?.... In that case:

rabbit_pancake.jpg

canessjc said:
When I said I found insulting a comparison between a Ferrari and a Corvette I didn't intend to sound out of the line, but I do consider it rather too much to say there's no difference between a Ferrari and a Corvette considering the history - both in the streets and on tracks - the segment to which each of these cars belong to, the interiors and quality, the efficiency of the motor, handling, suspension, etc.

Of course the Z06 handles very well, because it's meant to be and it's a track car, but if you compare it to the handling of other cars, such as a ferrari, it is poor. As I said, I really like the Z06 and I've followed it since it was released and it's a great car and a great improvement over the standard quality of previous models. In the case of a Ferrari, it isn't just a horsy badge, that badge means so much that basically sums up as the confidence of not having any mechanical problems or disturbances neither in a track nor in a day-by-day driving.

To finish this, I also consider it absurd if you revise the lap times of, say, the Ferrari 360 and the Z06 in the same track, driven by the same pilot (the Stig):

Ferrari 360 CS: 1.22.3
Corvette Z06: 1.22.4

Now consider this:
Ferrari 360 CS: 3.6 L, V8, 400 BHP
Z06: 7.0 L, V8, 505 BHP

For me, being a fraction faster than a car which has nearly half you CCs means efficiency and ability, that's basically all I have to say.

If you sum bits and bits, the 100,000 has an explanation, not only in the higher quality, but of course due to the fact that in a ferrari you pay exclusivity, uniqueness and the right to own that car. 8)

To an extent, I can see what you're banging on about.

The Ferrari has the "X-factor" that the Corvette doesn't have. It costs 100K more than the Corvette because it has the Italian breeding, Italian heritage, Italian passion, and Italian exclusivity. It's Italian; I'll agree with you up to that bit.

However, since when were Italian cars considered remotely reliable, high in quality, or cheap to run?

jetsetter said:
Shall I post the lap times?

1 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
2 Maserati MC12 1.18.9
3 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
4 Ariel Atom 1.19.5
5 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
6 Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4
7 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7
8 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
9 Ford GT 1.21.9
10 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
11 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
12 Corvette Z06 1.22.4
13 Murcielago 1.23.7 (580 hp)
14 Zonda 1.23.8
15 Koenigsegg 1.23.9 (806 bhp)

The Covette is actually faster than many of the other cars that have more power.
the koenigsegg on 15th is NOT the CCRor CCX its the CC8S.. in other words it has 600 something hp ..

BerserkerCatSplat said:
The Corvette is extremely fast and superbly priced. Get. Over. It.

x infinity!

You guys actually think id refer to the topgear laptimes as a overall basis for my argument. Puurrrlease.

Im talking about non other than the 'ring laptimes, and we will never be able to make a propper judgement of the Z06 and its 'ring time as GM RENTED OUT THE TRACK FOR THE DAY, most of the other cars did theyre lap times with joe public on the track at the same time! Also GM CHANGED SUSPENSION SETTINGS FOR THE Z06, to get the times that they did, the cars so to speak wasnt in stock form that you would get from the dealers.

And hence the gap between the C6 and Z06, and so many 2 tonne vehicles have beaten the C6 thorougly around the 'ring. The RS4 spanks the C6 aswell even with only 14 extra horses but 300 extra kgs in weight and extra two doors, and a higher centre of gravity. Now go figure.

youngwarrior said:
Im talking about non other than the 'ring laptimes, and we will never be able to make a propper judgement of the Z06 and its 'ring time as GM RENTED OUT THE TRACK FOR THE DAY, most of the other cars did theyre lap times with joe public on the track at the same time! Also GM CHANGED SUSPENSION SETTINGS FOR THE Z06, to get the times that they did, the cars so to speak wasnt in stock form that you would get from the dealers.

Once again, you fail to provide any proof to sustain these outrageous claims. :oops:

Quoting 'ring times is pointless.

Because of the length any differences in driver skill, how hard the driver is pushing, track knowledge etc. is magnified ten times. It's not a way to compare car to car.

watto said:
youngwarrior said:

Once again, you fail to provide any proof to sustain these outrageous claims. :oops:

Yeah yeah, just you wait. Make sure to check into the Z06 VS Ferrari 360 thread later tonight. Looks like im gonna be bursting some peoples bubbles. :twisted:

GraemeH said:
Quoting 'ring times is pointless.

Because of the length any differences in driver skill, how hard the driver is pushing, track knowledge etc. is magnified ten times. It's not a way to compare car to car.

Wrong because there is a official list were the same driver tests them, and if say the conditions werent perfect he will say so in the magazine and give a time he predicts it would have gotten in better conditions.

I shall post that official list but they havent taken the Z06 round the 'ring yet though.