[08x02] October 17th, 2005

Awesome show , I have enjoyed it a lot!!!

The Zonda F is one of the greatest street car ever.
The Lexus feature was quite entertaining.
The EVO shoot-out showed that the EVO VI is still a great sportcar...
...and the F1 was amazing!!!

Jimi Hendrix said:
Awesome show , I have enjoyed it a lot!!!

The Zonda F is one of the greatest street car ever.
The Lexus feature was quite entertaining.
The EVO shoot-out showed that the EVO VI is still a great sportcar...
...and the F1 was amazing!!!

I'll have to agree here and also I found the sign post to be very informative. There's so many car crashes here where people hit sign posts and lamp posts that this kind of study of foldable posts is great. This is why I watch Fifth Gear because they are very informative and to the point.

Collapseable sign posts have been around for years here in the US, especially the bolts that are designed to break when hit. Very common.

What sucks, though, are all of these pedestrian safty features that are forced upon manufacturers: they make all the cars look like SUV's from the front. Before too long, front exterior airbags are coming, I'll bet.

Tiff is great, but Vicki just sounds like she's been smoking for 20 years.

~nj?

I've only just gotten into Fifth Gear and am actually really enjoying it.

Only thing that annoys me is the way VBH reviews cars... "This is so much fun! *giggles like a little girl*

But apart from that, I really enjoyed last night's episode. Zonda F was sweet, Lexus Hybrid was entertaining, sign posts was very very interesting (although watching/listening to the presenter is as exciting as eating a piece of soap) and the F1 vs M5 was awesome...

Having said that, I can't wait for TG to start up again :p

Ok, flame me, I don't care.

I don't like the Zonda.
Something about Italian styling ... red leather, strap on the glove box, all four exhausts in the middle-Batmobile style, very low doors and narrow cockpit, there is a lot about the interior I don't like.

The styling to me is over engineered or something. I like simple, effective design on a car.

Give me a McLaren F1 over a Zonda anytime.

Good ep. :thumbsup:

Oh and I agree about hybrids with some of the previous posts, they are not as good as a regular petrol engine, tree huggers need to wake up and get over it, the technology just isn't there yet.

watto said:
I can't wait for TG to start up again :p
Oh yeah ! :)

As for the shoot out.

VBH showed once again she shouldn't do those things.
She missed the apexes many times and was doing compleatly different lines and basicly she cant drive that well.

I bet Tiff would get the new one alot faster round the track.
Atleast The Stig has manage to do so.

That's the only bad part about it but still very good even if she didn't nail those laps perfectly.
I did enjoy the way she trew it true the corners before the fast lap.

lol. That's just the RX400h. Maybe that 268hp was too tempting. I also noticed he had the battery at 2 bars (or pink). That isn't exactly the most efficient way to drive a hybrid. People always think if they drive with the engine off as much as possible, it's more efficient. It isn't. In fact, it's less efficient than if you drive it normally.

The 1st episode this season had a lot better cinematography and better editing, but this one obviously had better content. Just put the two together, and we've got a winner. :thumbsup:

This episode is not bad at all. The Zonda F sounds :shock: :shock: :shock: ! I was surprised the Evo 9 was slower tho, it was the FQ320 (Fucking Quick?), and it's still slower than a regular Evo 6 GSR. The F1 segment was fun, but too much focus on Tiff's physical training instead they should've shown more of the race car, or some of the older F1 cars (if they are not allowed to talk about the current one). I enjoyed it, thanks for the release. :thumbsup:

I love it guys like you all sayin VBH can't really drive well. Can you really tell from few tv shots? I'd love to see you race her...
I tell you one thing: I test cars for living and I admire her kind of car control. Seems pretty easy on screen, huh? Well it isn't.

That's not saying I have no problems with her presentation, could be a little better of course. On the other hand - so she giggles and shes not supermodel, but you know what: at least she seems to be REAL woman, and one with better driving skill than most of guys.

to be honest i've always liked fifth gear more than top gear just because it's a 100% car magazine focussed on the 'matured' issues of cars. sometimes top gear gets abit too stupid with them dumb tests... makes you feel like you're watching brainiacs... and hey guess what both have hammond on them :lol:

Just to mention, the Evo 6 HAD at least one modification that's visible. The tailgate and exhaust, not sure about the cat back though, but most likely, yes too. And VBH wasn't even consistant in her driving, note the different lines she took through the last corner. So i wouldn't say that the 9 is actually slower then a 6 ;)

You could see it in the Radar Complex where they had the 2 cars at the same time on screen.

Compleatly different lines.

The Evo 9 was fast in but slow out of the corner.
While she got the Evo 6 abit slower in but way faster out which is the way you do it.

So either she did it on purpose or she really aint that good of a driver atall.
Which she also proved in the M5.

They got Plato and Tiff so why not let those 2 have a go at it.
She could do car testing instead.

Did anyone else notice you can just make out Tiff driving the EVO 6 in some of the shootout sequence ? !!!

I think this was because the EVO 6 clutch failed before filming finished and Vicky was'nt available for the re-shoot. I'm pretty sure both times were vicky's though.

I guess it was summed up really well so far. Zonda F looks and sounds amazing. The sound of that F1 car is mind blowing. Vicki is getting fatter and uglier and she doesnt know how to drive. The Lexus segment was boring for me. The sign post crashing was OK. Overall, decent episode. However..someone tell them to stop saying "in our brand new, spanking Headquarters". It sucks....just people working everywhere, crowded, they only have one table to sit at, lol. Now TG studio....that's what I'm talking about. FG is getting too TG-ish which isnt good, because presenters cant act or say a good joke. They're somewhat not natural.
OK, enough saying.

P.S. The F1 vs M5 was stupid. The M5 and the F1 have 4 wheels and a V10 but thats all they have in common. It was OBVIOUS the F1 wont give the M5 a chance. Separate leagues.

Z0RR0 said:
lil question, what is that watch Horacio Pagani is wearing? Intriguing ...

Is a double time zone watch.
Horacio Pagani was born in Argentina.
Although he works in Italy, his family still lives here in Santa Fe (Argentina).

I thought it was a great episode. The Zonda F sounds fantastic....like a Ferrari V12 F1 car of old.

With regards to the F1 bit....I would say Tiff was trying fairly hard considering he doesn't normally drive an F1 car! He was certainly trying, and although I'm sure he'd be maybe 5-10s off the ultimate pace round the lap, I'm sure he put in a good show for his first attempt. Getting used to levels of downforce that high takes a lot of laps.

The F1 vs road car thing certainly has been done a lot of times, and none more so than this:

http://www.devilducky.com/media/27561/

That was a better race IMO. The very end gives people an idea of quite how stupidly fast an F1 car is!

<<This episode is not bad at all. The Zonda F sounds :shock: :shock: :shock: ! I was surprised the Evo 9 was slower tho, it was the FQ320 (Fucking Quick?), and it's still slower than a regular Evo 6 GSR>>

Well, there IS the 400, too...which I believe it's the longest name for a car ever...

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 MR FQ400

~nj?