[08x03] May 21th, 2006

Law said:
geoff_a_pult said:
The Volvo 1800- It's not fast, but it sounds fast, looks fast, and feels fast. And the ladies think it is sexy.

Dude, do you own a Volvo 1800? The one in your avatar pic? I think they are cool. On my list of cars I want ;)
Well, not the one in my avatar, but I do own one that is exactly like it.

Hey, does anyone know the name of the car that James May converts to a boat? It looks so awesome! I want to do that in my holidays!

EDIT: found it, a Triumph Herald, nice!

First time poster, been a big fan of TG for years now...(have every episode at home).

OK, to change the subject just a bit...does anyone know where to get one of those little Elvis figures like what was hanging from Richard's VW rear view mirror?

I'd love to have one of those!

Glom said:
This episode was hilarious. The amphibian item was the best ever. I thought Hammond's houseboat seemed like it deserved the most points for effort. It did actually look like a boat (and it sank very well too), while the Toybota looked like Toyoto hauling a very large (comically so) engine. Still, the thing made one hell of a wake. That was a sight seeing it tear through the waves. And then the mellowdrama when it capsized. Absolutely side splitting! I was in tears.

(Transport 2000 says "Look at the disturbance to the waterline Top Gear have caused! Ban this programme! Viewers might be encouraged to sink their cars in local reservoirs!")

Have no idea who the celebrity was though.

Did anyone else notice how Top Gear Dog disappeared in the middle of the news?

Top Gear Dog walked away, didn't disappear. Look at 11:12 on the VUK rip; you'll see Top Gear Dog walking off the stage.

VMLN8R said:
Hey, does anyone know the name of the car that James May converts to a boat? It looks so awesome! I want to do that in my holidays!

EDIT: found it, a Triumph Herald, nice!

I was honestly expecting James May to show up with a Reliant Robin. Something just screams "boat" about a Robin.

I quite liked this episode, although the Amphibian Car thing seemed a bit like Junkyard Wars or Monster Garage, it was still funny. A pitty Richard didn't do a better job waterproofing his vehicle (and hit the prop on the ramp) I thought it had promise. James chose a novel approach to the challenge, but he was wrong on one critical point. Many small sailboats designed to be trailered have removable centerboards instead of a fixed keel - I know this because I ran one aground and lifted the centerboard to get out of the mud. I was slightly annoyed by James saying sailing was boring since I love it - he should be thankful it was boring for him, with any more wind he would have either capsized or just been blown sideways with no controll.

I already identified a couple songs from this episode - any idea when we will have a thread up for that?

Do you know the song that is playing at the bit where Jeremy is on a CB Rado to James telling him to watch out for trees?

The challenge was very good to watch, like the fact we got to see them actually trying to make the cars rather than just arriving in them. Cool wall was also good to see, the Exige S is a fascinating car, CANT believe it was faster than the Mustang. Loved Richard recreating "the titanic moment". Jeremy's toybota was awesome!!!!