[08x03] May 21th, 2006

otispunkmeyer said:
qube said:
otispunkmeyer said:
psychoticsniper said:
I dont understand the comparo between the mustang GT and the exige S when the lotus literally cause double what the GT cost and then some.

not in this country it doesnt. the stang is more expensive here

The Lotus is more expensive than the Ford Mustang in the UK for sure.

Didn't see the point of racing a stripped out track car on semi-slicks against a fully loaded GT that seats 4 people (can actually get in and out of a Mustang without becoming a contortionist), and even then the gap wasn't that big! For the price difference you could have added a supercharger and other mods to the Mustang and it would have won for sure.

Love JC's double standards; he says the Corvette is rubbish on the road because the ride is too firm but the Lotus is fine? Having been a passenger in an Exige (the car is too small for me to fit behind the wheel) I submit that there isn't another road car in existence that has a firmer ride than the Exige, it's a total back breaker.

i would of thought it would be about the same ?30 k ish? nevermind

ive driven an exige on a track and even there its like a jack hammer to the spine.

i think the point of it was basically the british way to build a sports car and the american way to build a sports car. and obviously the point was to prove british > America at sports cars.

(vette doesnt count as a sports car.....its a super sports, jus incase anyone wants to say the vette is a good american sports car.....which it is, but it doesnt apply here)

The Mustang is NOT a sports car. Its a sports coupe or a muscle car. The only American-brand sports cars out there right now are the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky twins and the Corvette. Yes its a sports car, as much as a Boxster or SLK or Z4 is. And I'm surprised the Stang kept up that well with the Lotus. That's a tribute to the Stig's driving skill and it being a pretty decent handling car for an overweight four seater.

Anybody have massive audio problems with that episode? I think I missed ten minutes of the show due to horrible static.

thEam said:
When the Hamster started sinking I was lying on the floor, gasping for air. As far as I'm conderned, this was the funniest bit of Top Gear _ever_ :)

When that was happening I was only worried about the camera on the boat and his mic. Them things ain't cheap.

Kebab gud said:
Best part is this ..
gatso.jpg

I think I almost wet myself when I saw that bit :blush:

Yeah, that was awesome. :lol:

Was a great episode.

Loved seeing the Lotus taking Ford to school...god I hate ford :lol:

Boating segment was gold, poor Hammond and his sinking camper van. But seeing Clarkson's boat keel over right at the docks was the best! :thumbsup:

Silverstar said:
Was a great episode.

Boating segment was gold, poor Hammond and his sinking camper van. But seeing Clarkson's boat keel over right at the docks was the best! :thumbsup:

Taking the Ford to school in a completely unfair race. Completely different cars with completely different missions and pricetags. A weird comparison.

Yeah i couldnt figure out the lotus mustang race. ...

rohdek said:
Silverstar said:
Was a great episode.

Taking the Ford to school in a completely unfair race. Completely different cars with completely different missions and pricetags. A weird comparison.
Another excuse for them to say that American cars are crap, and another excuse for no0bs to rush this forum screaming the same thing.

See post above me.

BlaRo said:
rohdek said:
Silverstar said:
Was a great episode.

Another excuse for them to say that American cars are crap, and another excuse for no0bs to rush this forum screaming the same thing.

See above.

Blaro, You're missing the obvious:

http://img375.imageshack.**/img375/4112/ghddhg4qr.jpg

Kinda explains the mustang fanboyishment..

This was surely the funniest Top Gear challenge ever made! I must say Richard's VW van was quite a good idea. Certainly it would've done better if they were given 3 or 4 days to work on their projects so those stupid mistakes (i.e. the radiator stuff) woudn't happen. Oh, and btw, I had to stop the video when I first saw James' car... absolutely hilarious!! But it worked after all..

The Exige S is REALLY nice! And white! The film quality was awesome, even though they are addicted to that slow motion thing. Very good, but not as impactating as it could be.

And to finish, that race against the Mustang, as it was said above, was surely to show that having a 4.6L engine doesn't mean you're faster... even it's a V8. And of course, to express Clarkson's opinion about american cars once more, hehehe

No Boss said:
Blaro, You're missing the obvious:

http://img375.imageshack.**/img375/4112/ghddhg4qr.jpg

Kinda explains the mustang fanboyishment..
Fixed...I meant the post above me, not the quoted. Not a very good example, anyway.

Spazatao said:
And to finish, that race against the Mustang, as it was said above, was surely to show that having a 4.6L engine doesn't mean you're faster... even it's a V8. And of course, to express Clarkson's opinion about american cars once more, hehehe
I don't care for Ford, but I must say, I was shocked at how well the Stang kept up with Exige. The Mustang GT isn't anything special when it comes to cornering performance. It has a solid rear axle, enough said. But it kept up well. And of course, the Lotus lost the majority of it's weight advantage with Clarkson behind the wheel. :p

Anyway, this episode was great. Fantastic. The boats were hilarious and Clarkson docking the Toybota upside-down was classic. I was in tears laughing.

The Lotus Exige test was great, what an awesome little car. Don't think I could handle owning one, but it would be a great weekend bruiser. Looked great in white paint.

rohdek said:
Silverstar said:
Was a great episode.

Did I mention I hate FORD? : :lol:

I really don't care about this technical "oh it was taken out of it's environment with a car in a totally different class with a different mission" mumbo jumbo..

That isn't the point of Top Gear's segments. It's supposed to be fun and that was my point! 8)

I hate Ford...period. Oh, yeah...I am American also I don't care about the bashing :D

Wow, that is a really hilarious and great episode. The amphibious car challenge is really really imaginative.!

People, please.
Don?t use the Mustang X Exig race as an excuse to start the European X American debate all over again.
And contrary to what some people are saying, Clarkson didn?t said ANYTHING bad about the Mustang during this race. He didn?even said they were competition, it was just a display that a car can be very fast if it?s light.

hey guy
ive been using this site to get my weekly fixes of top and fith gear for a long time now but i never used the forum before. i was just kind of confused about one thing from this weeks top gear. did anyone else notice how at the start it says this week richard gets a new top gear dog. i dont understand that now that i watched the show. wheres the new dog??

Redliner said:
People, please.
Don?t use the Mustang X Exig race as an excuse to start the European X American debate all over again.
And contrary to what some people are saying, Clarkson didn?t said ANYTHING bad about the Mustang during this race. He didn?even said they were competition, it was just a display that a car can be very fast if it?s light.
I could think of more relevant examples. Like put the Exige up against an M6. Or a TVR Sagaris. Or better yet, combine the road tests and throw the Exige up against the new Z4M.

With the Mustang... you might as well put the Exige up against the Range Rover Sport.

the mustang vs exige race was NOT to bash american cars.. it was just to show how good the exige is on at track .. that a more powerfull car with a mutch better driver can get beaten by a poor driver in the exige..
nothing more...
so dont get all crazy..