[08x04] May 28th, 2006

kekekeke said:
JoeBlo1 said:
SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
LoneWolf said:
BlaRo said:
Sigh...some people are never satisfied. Just sit back and enjoy the damn show!

Dude, this is a place devoted to Top Gear (albeit 50%). If there's one place you should be allowed to voice your opinions on the show, it's here.
Agreed!

And if anything, we should be the MOST critical of Top Gear (and Fifth Gear).

Top Gear is supposed to be a light-hearted motoring show! Getting serious and criticizing the show is like getting upset after seeing a fireworks display; it's free, so just enjoy yourselves!

A little critique here and there is fine but some people go overboard. It's like they are purposely setting themselves up to criticize every small flaw in the show.
Top gear is not free for the people who pay the TV fee, and they have every right to complain when they think the content of the show is not up to par.
ACTUALLY, if you want to get technical;

Fireworks does cost Tax payers money, just like BBC costs money ;)

Hmmm, the big races do feel kinda set up because of the locations of cameras and having big range rovers keeping up with Jeremy, but Jeremy's said it himself, it's not set up.

But me, i'm just happy i've got my favourite show back! :thumbsup:

avi550m said:
In fact, Top Gear here is only a 1/2 hour show, that too with an ad break. many segments are truncated and generally its quite short :( .

That'd be the crappy BBC World version - we get it here on Pay TV (so I suppose in a way I also pay for Top Gear and contribute to the BBC), but rather than put up with that I acquire the full version.

Jamesd said:
kekekeke said:
JoeBlo1 said:
SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
LoneWolf said:
BlaRo said:
Sigh...some people are never satisfied. Just sit back and enjoy the damn show!

Dude, this is a place devoted to Top Gear (albeit 50%). If there's one place you should be allowed to voice your opinions on the show, it's here.
Agreed!

And if anything, we should be the MOST critical of Top Gear (and Fifth Gear).

Top Gear is supposed to be a light-hearted motoring show! Getting serious and criticizing the show is like getting upset after seeing a fireworks display; it's free, so just enjoy yourselves!

A little critique here and there is fine but some people go overboard. It's like they are purposely setting themselves up to criticize every small flaw in the show.
Top gear is not free for the people who pay the TV fee, and they have every right to complain when they think the content of the show is not up to par.
ACTUALLY, if you want to get technical;

Fireworks does cost Tax payers money, just like BBC costs money ;)

Hmmm, the big races do feel kinda set up because of the locations of cameras and having big range rovers keeping up with Jeremy, but Jeremy's said it himself, it's not set up.

But me, i'm just happy i've got my favourite show back! :thumbsup:
All the outside camera shots are done after the race by the director who retraces the route over a few days.

I personally liked this episode over the rest. more of a "classic" episode... I thought hammond's race was better than the one in Iceland because this felt more of a race where he could actually crash and end the race prematurely, the Iceland race was like "hey open road" no real danger until I get back next to the lake...
I do feel the same thing, not enough James May in this episode. I though the Ewan Mcgregor part was ok but not funny enough...

kekekeke said:

Spot on! I think a lot of people outside the UK don't realise us Brits have to cough up to pay for the BBC budget, so it's only right we criticise a show as we see fit.

Viper007Bond said:
A) What about the lady?

*shrug* it's condoleeza rice?

LoneWolf said:
Spot on! I think a lot of people outside the UK don't realise us Brits have to cough up to pay for the BBC budget, so it's only right we criticise a show as we see fit.

To be fair, if you look at an average BBC viewer's watchings [whatever that may encompass - CBBC for the wee 'uns, the news, Doctor Who, Have I Got News...sport matches, Life On Mars, Spooks, Top Gear...] they usually watch a huge amount of stuff, most of which is 1. not repeats and 2. high quality, unlike most other channels [as far as I can tell, Sky One consists almost entirely of Simpsons and Futurama reruns, along with older Star Trek / Stargate shows].

Sure, we pay ?100-odd a year for it, but it's well worth it for what they give us. So the odd episode of Top Gear doesn't meet our expectations - is it that much of a big issue? There'll always be another episode next week [unless it's the last in the series, natch]. And it's still one of the best car programmes out there, anywhere in the world.

edit - and just to add my ?0.02, I like the shorter 'car vs someone' segments. You usually get amazing scenery, or people doing ridiculous things, and best of all, panicked-looking presenters. Besides, they probably choose the height the parachuter's chucked out at [within reason] so that it should reach the finish line about the same time as the car - that's what makes it tense and close.

And we can [in the UK] rewatch it as often as we like off the Beeb website, for free ^___^

I also like the car vs someone, esp the rockclimbers Jeremy raced in series 7.

I also really like the random challenges, because James always ends up breaking down and losing very badly! :lol:

teeb said:
To be fair, if you look at an average BBC viewer's watchings [whatever that may encompass - CBBC for the wee 'uns, the news, Doctor Who, Have I Got News...sport matches, Life On Mars, Spooks, Top Gear...] they usually watch a huge amount of stuff, most of which is 1. not repeats and 2. high quality, unlike most other channels [as far as I can tell, Sky One consists almost entirely of Simpsons and Futurama reruns, along with older Star Trek / Stargate shows].

Sure, we pay ?100-odd a year for it, but it's well worth it for what they give us. So the odd episode of Top Gear doesn't meet our expectations - is it that much of a big issue? There'll always be another episode next week [unless it's the last in the series, natch]. And it's still one of the best car programmes out there, anywhere in the world.

edit - and just to add my ?0.02, I like the shorter 'car vs someone' segments. You usually get amazing scenery, or people doing ridiculous things, and best of all, panicked-looking presenters. Besides, they probably choose the height the parachuter's chucked out at [within reason] so that it should reach the finish line about the same time as the car - that's what makes it tense and close.

And we can [in the UK] rewatch it as often as we like off the Beeb website, for free ^___^

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the BBC is great and I am really glad we pay a TV license, means that the biggest broadcasting corporation in the world HAS to produce quality stuff and is regulated heavily. Believe me, BBC produces far better stuff then rubbish ITV, Five and Sky can come up with.

The point I was trying to make was in response to someone saying we shouldn't criticise the show and just sit down quality and try to enjoy it. I don't agree with that and don't see any reasons why we shouldn't criticise.

Aston Martin Girl said:

I also really like the random challenges, because James always ends up breaking down and losing very badly! :lol:

Have to say I absolutely hated that rock climbing race, one of the worst moments in that particular series. Admittedly, it has something to do with the fact that I found that skinny and bonny climber weird and annoying, but generally I thought the review of RS8 could have been done without the climbers.

Shouldn't you BBC-licence-payers complain to the BBC, and not come here to vent your frustrations?

subymaster said:
RallyeSport said:
What a silly episode, please focus.

About the Koenigsegg, the car was specially prepared for the top gear track with the wing and the most certainly made suspension adjustment since they had the opportunity to come back. I think it sounded different to, maybe exhaust and some boost increasment. About five seconds off with just a wing? That track isn't that high speed. It shows that Koenigsegg spends too little money on testing and they need feedback from others to make it work. But thats the Koenigsegg philosophy, get free advice and make customers pay for what is and on going development program. Disgusting.

Are you daft? Seriously, just by listening to the CCX you could detect an increase in boost pressure :lol: 5 Seconds off? He crashed the car :lol: You are bashing them for taking the recommendations of the people who test the car? :lol: When was the last time Porche or Ferrari did that? You sir, havent a clue.

And pls correct me if im wrong, but the last CCX they tested never got in a proper fast lap, right? So how can we tell what that wing did? Maybe it could have ran a 1:18 and the wing only gave it .4.

My point being, there is FAR more to the aero downforce of that CCX than some tiny wing, and to say it handled poorly is plain laugable. Did you see how well it turned on the last 2 corners? PERFECT neutral rotation with ZERO understeer and not a hint of oversteer. Give credit where credit is due. :roll:

Yes indeed. Credit the STIG for harnessing that car. But a wing is absolutely neccessary for a car with 800 bhp in order to blitz ANY track. And just because it's not some hideously huge wing doesn't mean it won't do it's job properly. It form fitted the car perfectly.

LoneWolf said:
kekekeke said:

There are ppl outside the UK that get BBC and pay for it aswell.. I know I do.. 8)

tloekke said:
Shouldn't you BBC-licence-payers complain to the BBC, and not come here to vent your frustrations?

If there was a BBC TG message board, I'm sure they would. As it stands, seeing as there isn't one, this is the premier TG board on the net :)

EDIT - Besides, complaining to the BBC at best only results in humiliation from Clarkson and co.

Karoug said:
LoneWolf said:
kekekeke said:

There are ppl outside the UK that get BBC and pay for it aswell.. I know I do.. 8)

Yeah, I didn't mean to ignore them, they of course have full rights and privilages to have a good moan at the BBC ;)

:bangin:
just enjoy the show !

I think it's getting harder for them to keep the show well balanced between cars and fun and keeping it original,

try to think a whole year in advance what you are going to do in the future season episodes ! take a pen and paper and try !

i think it's not as easy as we may think !

R2landa said:
just enjoy the show !

I think it's getting harder for them to keep the show well balanced between cars and fun and keeping it original,

try to think a whole year in advance what you are going to do in the future season episodes ! take a pen and paper and try !

Just because I or someone else can't write and make a show like that, doesn't mean we shouldn't criticise it for not being as good as it could be. If you went to watch a film and it turned out to be utter crap, would it be fair for the directors/producers/actors to tell you to shut up and eat your popcorn just because you can't make anything as good or better?

Sometimes criticism is the only way to improve something.

Aston Martin Girl said:

this was great, more and harder!!!

LoneWolf said:
R2landa said:
just enjoy the show !

Just because I or someone else can't write and make a show like that, doesn't mean we shouldn't criticise it for not being as good as it could be. If you went to watch a film and it turned out to be utter crap, would it be fair for the directors/producers/actors to tell you to shut up and eat your popcorn just because you can't make anything as good or better?

Sometimes criticism is the only way to improve something.

Can we get back to talking about the cars please.

Just saw it. But damn, all the filming in the new s class review was amazing! :)