[08x04] May 28th, 2006

watto said:
transtek said:
He said "uhoh, big tank slapper", referring to motorbikes!! I don't think you would get your knackers beaten-up that badly in a Porsche!!!

Possibly as in the rear of the car's undercarriage bottoming out, which is where the general area for the fuel tank would be...

Possibly - my guess is that he would've meant a tank-slapper in the motorbike sense of the word (especially since he rides). It's one of those terms that can still be used in a car, even though there's no actually physical tank-slappery going on.

Hammond's Races are becoming GAY for the simple reason's that they're rehearsed (from his end obviously) and they always seem to end the EXACT same way: Hammond thinking he's going to win and then loses by a hair. He must set it up to know he can win and then slow the car up at spots to even it out.

Clarkson made me want to buy an S Class, a real one. Did you know that the S600 is almost $60KUS more than the S550? About 130 horses more, not quite worth it to me.

I'm proud of the Koenigsegg. I like to see Zonda's and CCX's sitting above the Enzo, MC12, and Carrera GT.

THE BMW Z4 M: Just as a$$ ugly as the original, but a genuine sports car. I didn't see, but did it do the track faster than the Boxter S? I would assume so seeing the EVO, 575GTC, and Corvette under it. I'd still take the Box 'cause I wouldn't keep it stock anyway.

Oddly an exciting part of the episode for me was the short presentation of the CAPARA T1. I've been waiting to see if they'd feature it and sure enough. Aparently this car will be the best street-legal experience you can have on 4 wheels, and you can count on it annihilating ANYTHING currently on their board of track times. I've heard over 10500rpm from the 2.4V8.

Dude, Hammond is not alone in setting up the races. Everyone in the production staff (maybe even Jeremy and James as well) help in planning and executing the races. It could have been Jeremy or James competing in the races but Hammond was chosen this time around. If you believe Richard's races are rehearsed than it means all the races on Top Gear are rehearsed.

Good episode in my view.

About the track times, I don't really trust them when it comes to very exclusive super cars.
How hard would it be for koenigsegg or zonda to have a special setup, special tires, even a power boost when it comes to the K in order to get the best time on this track...
Ideally the cars should be run stock from the dealer but we all know it just isn't the case with the super expensive ones except maybe the carrera gt/enzo/slr.

What a silly episode, please focus.

About the Koenigsegg, the car was specially prepared for the top gear track with the wing and the most certainly made suspension adjustment since they had the opportunity to come back. I think it sounded different to, maybe exhaust and some boost increasment. About five seconds off with just a wing? That track isn't that high speed. It shows that Koenigsegg spends too little money on testing and they need feedback from others to make it work. But thats the Koenigsegg philosophy, get free advice and make customers pay for what is and on going development program. Disgusting.

RallyeSport said:
But thats the Koenigsegg philosophy, get free advice and make customers pay for what is and on going development program. Disgusting.

I'm sure some of their customers like being a part of such a thing and having a role in creating something special. Of course for those that want a fully developed car it's a different story.

R-Type said:
I agree, I'm sick of the races. The only races I want to see are the big public transport v car ones from past seasons. And rather than thewse stupid segments with the s class garbage, how about some more "buy a car of this category for this amount of money" challenges. I'd like to see ones on japanese sports cars, super minis, and cars of their choice to be converted to track day cars. I always love those challenges

To be honest, I didn't mind the S-Class modification part, it was actually one of the highlights after Hammond's film. I think I've already mentioned this before but so far I've enjoyed the 'DIY' things they've been doing this season, it's a nice little refreshing twist rather then them doing another race or challenge exactly the same as in previous seasons. Of course I'll regret this comment when they've overused it and get's tiring, but for now I find the DIY/building/modifying stuff OK (could be a lot worse).

BlaRo said:
Sigh...some people are never satisfied. Just sit back and enjoy the damn show!

Dude, this is a place devoted to Top Gear (albeit 50%). If there's one place you should be allowed to voice your opinions on the show, it's here.

I love TG, it's my favourite show, however that doesn't mean I'll love it 100% each and every episode. I have the right to sing the shows praises, but just as equally, I have the right to criticise it when I feel parts of it are crap.

Feel free to sing it's praises, it's your opinion and I fully respect that. However, others may want to criticise, and they should be allowed to do so, it's their opinion. :)

I think it sounded different to

Prototype's ECU was overheating causing all sort of problems, JC said that topgear producer didnt allow time to fix it. But now obviously its working as sound is different and no more flames from exhaust.

RallyeSport said:

About the Koenigsegg, the car was specially prepared for the top gear track with the wing and the most certainly made suspension adjustment since they had the opportunity to come back. I think it sounded different to, maybe exhaust and some boost increasment. About five seconds off with just a wing? That track isn't that high speed. It shows that Koenigsegg spends too little money on testing and they need feedback from others to make it work. But thats the Koenigsegg philosophy, get free advice and make customers pay for what is and on going development program. Disgusting.

Yeah but most of the players involved in the hypercar market (with the exception of Ferrari so far as the Enzo and MC12 are concerned) are probably doing the same in the sense they are willing to make adjustments in order to beat their rivals. And considering TG is probably now the biggest mass market way of comparing such exotics, it's no suprise they'd want their cars to have the best shot at claiming the top spot.

RallyeSport said:

The whole point is the track ISN'T that high speed. If it was the wing would make less of a difference if any. The track is full of corners which is why a wing helped so much.

BlaRo said:
Yeah that's the attitude... I thought these threads were about expressing opinions on each show, right? Well that's what most of us are doing.

As usual, a really top episode. I liked all the segments really, particularly the new S-Class. Only thing I found hard to stomach was Jezza destroying that old Merc :(

I'm a die hard old Merc fan, and to see such a spectacular bit of engineering filled with concrete hurt... Having said that, I numbed myself for entertainment purposes and laughed my head off :lol:

I must agree with those that are saying something is up with James May. In season 7 he was really very prominent and did some great sections - and he and Jezza got on great in the Winter Olympics episode. What's up now??? He always looks sad, stands on the outskirts, isn't quite so genuinely funny, and he has almost no part in the show?! I love James - bring him back!!! Maybe something is up between him and Jezza? Noticed a few reactions there that hinted at it.

James is great when he's more prominent.

LoneWolf said:
BlaRo said:

Dude, this is a place devoted to Top Gear (albeit 50%). If there's one place you should be allowed to voice your opinions on the show, it's here.
Agreed!

And if anything, we should be the MOST critical of Top Gear (and Fifth Gear).

fbc said:
watto said:
transtek said:
He said "uhoh, big tank slapper", referring to motorbikes!! I don't think you would get your knackers beaten-up that badly in a Porsche!!!

Possibly as in the rear of the car's undercarriage bottoming out, which is where the general area for the fuel tank would be...

Possibly - my guess is that he would've meant a tank-slapper in the motorbike sense of the word (especially since he rides). It's one of those terms that can still be used in a car, even though there's no actually physical tank-slappery going on.

I took it to mean that he got sideways big time, probably with the back end (the car's not his!) oscilating from side to side.

transtek said:
fbc said:
watto said:
transtek said:

I took it to mean that he got sideways big time, probably with the back end (the car's not his!) oscilating from side to side.
The original term tank slapper is just when a bike wheaves from side to side so the bars hit the tank hence tank slapper, so it can be applied to any vehicle that weaves violently.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
LoneWolf said:
BlaRo said:

Agreed!

Top Gear is supposed to be a light-hearted motoring show! Getting serious and criticizing the show is like getting upset after seeing a fireworks display; it's free, so just enjoy yourselves!

A little critique here and there is fine but some people go overboard. It's like they are purposely setting themselves up to criticize every small flaw in the show.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
LoneWolf said:
BlaRo said:

Agreed!

Yeah, but it gets to be pretty lame when people start picking apart every aspect of the show, turning it into a giant whine fest.

Anyone want some cheese to go with their WHINE?

http://img432.imageshack.**/img432/7656/cheesenwhinesm4gr.gif

Next people will be complaining that Top Gear dog isn't getting enough exposure :lol: