[08x06] July 16th, 2006

The do have surprisingly much ompf indeed. But if all you're used to is a 50cc scooter usually things can go pretty bad...

Anyway, looking forward to what Top Gear will make out of it.

freeflydodger said:
JM, JC and RH remind me more and more of the old guys from the Muppet Show.....

Waldorf and Astoria :)

Was nice to see Brian Cox kinda standing up for America a bit, when he said "It may be because they think you want cheese on it" and commented on the state of things in the UK, with surveilance cameras and the erosion of freedoms. Also .... what the hell was Jeremy doing driving around in a car with a "Hilliary for President" bumpersticker on it. :?

peter3hg2 said:
A white van man is someone who drives a van (usually white) like he owns the road. Basically he'll beep a lot, tailgate you and just generally drive like a nob.

We have that in America here, except that they are Ford Econoline 15/250/350 series.

Jail80 said:
Great Ep. :thumbsup:

The caravan fire setup was a bit too transparent.. but otherwise :D. Jeremy's "How far I'm ready to go to not have a Vauxhall Vectra in my life"- thing was hilarious. And he's right! I'm not that far behind.. somewhere past the Jupiter anyways.

I think it was nice to have some normal but sporty cars to "people with sensible hair" on Top Gear. Cars that even I could have after years of hard labor and a divorce. :)

Can't wait to see the new 911 Turbo or the GT3 on TG, though.

I couldn't agree more...the new GT3 is just mind-bogling how good it is and dare I say the new 911 Turbo would beat an F430 around the TG track? Bold thinking indeed... :stig: :driving:

ColumbusIS said:
Was nice to see Brian Cox kinda standing up for America a bit, when he said "It may be because they think you want cheese on it" and commented on the state of things in the UK, with surveilance cameras and the erosion of freedoms.
I thought it was weird that they discussed Brian Cox being the "baddie" in so many movies because he was British. I didn't even know Brain Cox was British. And further more, most of the movies he played the "baddie" in.... he played an American! And usually an American in the US Government. <_<

Anyway, I thought that was funny... in an ironic sort of way.

ColumbusIS said:
freeflydodger said:
JM, JC and RH remind me more and more of the old guys from the Muppet Show.....

Waldorf and Astoria :)

Statler & Waldorf? :)

Am I the ONLY one who watched this and didn't even think about scripting? I just laughed and had a good time.

Seriously, I think too many people watch the episode and enjoy it, then read the discussion and change their views thinking "hey! That was kinda scripted!" Honestly, it wasn't even something that occured to me. The episode was great fun.

Also, for those who haven't caught on yet, this season TG seems to be alternating with their episode content - one week it's all fun and games with only 1 or 2 serious car bits, and the other week there's much less fun and games with a great deal more reviews and serious stuff. Just thought I'd point it out since nobody has mentioned it.

Seriously, I think too many people watch the episode and enjoy it, then read the discussion and change their views thinking "hey! That was kinda scripted!" Honestly, it wasn't even something that occured to me. The episode was great fun.
Argument...dying...*wheese* *cough* *hack* .... trying...to...revive...... No, it ain't happening.

zaybxcwd12 said:
speedmeist3r said:
I loved the part where Richard kept on yelling "Back! Back! BACK! BACK!". And James just kept on backing up.

Actually that was really stupid from his side. Doesn't know how to give directions... :?

This episode was more funny than others, but not very good for me. :) Theres always next sunday :)

jayhawk said:
peter3hg2 said:
A white van man is someone who drives a van (usually white) like he owns the road. Basically he'll beep a lot, tailgate you and just generally drive like a nob.

We have that in America here, except that they are Ford Econoline 15/250/350 series.

Also guys in their F-series are often like that... "ive got a large engine, so i am the fastest car on the road; despite having 3/4 tonne of pig shit in the box, im still gonna drive like i have a ferrari!"

I always thought caravans are for cross country trip I never knew people does that. It IS very VERY BORING!!!

They did that fire intentionally. I swear I saw Clkson turn up the gas

O wheres the Bugatti test?

Ka24de said:
O wheres the Bugatti test?

It was right near the beginning, didnt you see it? :p

I wonder if anyone else noticed that they deliberately picked the cheapest winning car in that Caravan Club 2006 "Tow Car of the Year Award." The Cerato was the cheapest car to win the award (less than 13,500 quid category), when in fact more powerful cars were also recommended.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdo...006152AF42/0/TOWCAROFTHEYEAR2006October05.pdf

Maybe they wanted to subtly emphasize a view that all caravaners are cheapskates?

EDIT: Almost forgot to add thoughts about the episode. Can't think of a part that didn't amuse me; "so you can have a joint" and the "Jeremy's secret weapon" parts stand out in particular. Fire looked like it was staged to some degree, though it's still nice to see they ended up destroying the caravan :lol:

lightcrafter12 said:
I wonder if anyone else noticed that they deliberately picked the cheapest winning car in that Caravan Club 2006 "Tow Car of the Year Award." The Cerato was the cheapest car to win the award (less than 13,500 quid category), when in fact more powerful cars were also recommended.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdo...006152AF42/0/TOWCAROFTHEYEAR2006October05.pdf

Maybe they wanted to subtly emphasize a view that all caravaners are cheapskates?

EDIT: Almost forgot to add thoughts about the episode. Can't think of a part that didn't amuse me; "so you can have a joint" and the "Jeremy's secret weapon" parts stand out in particular. Fire looked like it was staged to some degree, though it's still nice to see they ended up destroying the caravan :lol:
Not quite I think that they picked the car that matched the maximum Tow weight with the weight of the Caravan, not an unreasonable thing to do as many caravanners will get the biggest caravan they can to put on the back of their towing car.

Cobol74 said:
lightcrafter12 said:

Not quite I think that they picked the car that matched the maximum Tow weight with the weight of the Caravan, not an unreasonable thing to do as many caravanners will get the biggest caravan they can to put on the back of their towing car.
I loved the part where they were discussing the Ultimate Tow Car and said the Dodge Viper and Humvee. :lol: I can just picture a bright red SRT10 towing that little caravan. But then the guys remember that "Europeans do everything better" and mentioned the Land Rover Defender and how it can tow the factory the caravan was built in. ;)

lightcrafter12 said:

Thing is though, that a lot of Kias were in that article, maybe the magazine themselves are trying to say that caravanners are cheapskates! ;) :lol:

The Kia they used was still pathetic though, cheap or not.

:edit: I've just read that article more, they had a Corsa in one test! No matter what caravan that has on it, IMO it will be unsuitable as its too small a car. And they had the wrong Focus on there too!

I want to know how two wins out of six "dominates" a competition anyway. Especially when Volvo ALSO got two out of six...

peter3hg2 said:

Usually a Mercedes Sprinter or a VW LT....or a Transit.....we have plenty of those here

The episode was great, my stomach hurt from laughing:) though the fire was obviously staged. But I don't care. Though they must have choosen the most boring campsite of them all. Don't know exactly how it is handled over there but here in Germany you are usually allowed to make fires and play some music...even though your neighbours can't sleep at 3 in the morning :D. At least thats the way the handle it on the N?rburgring where I attended a rally last weekend. :thumbsup:

btw: the discussion about that whole american/europeen thingy is just very entertaining. And most american are really crap. The only one that was good was the new Corvette. And I really don't get how Ford can mess up a good European Car like the Focus and sell it as the same car in the US....I mean it's the same design but they changed the engine and the suspension and made a crap car. :( (not to talk about the bult quality)

EDIT: something to upset me :D

http://img54.imageshack.**/img54/2654/kopievonspitfire74lb.jpg