[08x08] July 30th, 2006

The "Scandinavian Flick" was invented by Swedish and Norwegian rally
drivers to get a front wheel drive car around a corner quickly on slippery
surface like gravel or snow.

I think that Erik "on the roof" Carlsson was the first international driver
who used this technique in the two-stroke SAAB 93 and 96.

Doesn't the van Hammond had have rear wheel drive?
Why not just do a 50hp power slide?

Seams like they wanted to flip it over.

I can see JC now...

"Not only are we designing cars on Top Gear, we are motivating F1 drivers! I ask Jenson Button when he's finally going to win a race, so he goes right out and wins one for me!"

LTB said:
The "Scandinavian Flick" was invented by Swedish and Norwegian rally
drivers to get a front wheel drive car around a corner quickly on slippery
surface like gravel or snow.

I think that Erik "on the roof" Carlsson was the first international driver
who used this technique in the two-stroke SAAB 93 and 96.

Doesn't the van Hammond had have rear wheel drive?
Why not just do a 50hp power slide?

Seams like they wanted to flip it over.
im sure the suzuki understeers quite a bit, which van doesnt?

This one did have its moments, especially Hammond's van flip, which was just gorgeous. One thing I caught is Jeremy's accidental creation of a new word. As James demonstrates his van's bus-like door, Jeremy blurts out, "God, that's a stuperb thing!" :lol: The review of the M15 was solid, but not a stand-out. Hammond's really improved with his power-sliding 8)

On the whole, this series was entertaining, but not the greatest. I like the fatuous challenges well enough, but it lacked some of the petrolhead element, and some of the reviews were half-assed (the super-saloons, for example). Maybe it's just me, but I think something the reviews lacked was some amount of context. For example, when Hammond reviewed the 3-series, he motivated it by doing a bit about the decline of "Mondeo Man," which I thought was quite interesting. With this series, I got more of the sense of, "Here's the car, and here's what we think of it, and now here's us messing around." It's ok, but it just doesn't seem quite as informative as series past.

Still can't wait for series 9...

Ehhhhhhhhhh....

THe Stig driving the M15 looks tiny: his head (helmet)-to shoulder ratio lools smaller.

It<s as if he were a girl..

COuld this Stig be Jansen Button??

Danny Tran said:
Ehhhhhhhhhh....

THe Stig driving the M15 looks tiny: his head (helmet)-to shoulder ratio lools smaller.

It<s as if he were a girl..

COuld this Stig be Jansen Button??
Honda would go ballistic if it were - supposing he got hurt, doesn't bear thinking about.

Here is a question what other car show could get F1 or even Indy car drivers on it to play about? Says something about its reputation I think.

bartboy9891 said:

An empty 91' Transit with a 2 litre petrol engine....it beautifully oversteers ;)
I loved driving that van....till our company sold it :(

Now we have stupid Passat TDI's :thumbsdown:

skr said:
bartboy9891 said:

An empty 91' Transit with a 2 litre petrol engine....it beautifully oversteers ;)
I loved driving that van....till our company sold it :(

Now we have stupid Passat TDI's :thumbsdown:
I think Hammond says his van is 900cc.

Are you trying to say that a 900cc van will never be able to oversteer?

skr said:
Are you trying to say that a 900cc van will never be able to oversteer?
i really have no idea what these commercial vans handle like. Id expect them to have a lot of understeer and then, when the load of the weight switches sides, it turns into oversteer.

Looks like Clarkson felt the same way as most of us about the whole Who/van segment -- great in theory, not so great in practice:
You may have seen an item on Top Gear recently where the three presenters were roadies for the Who. At the editorial meeting that sounded brilliant. ?Imagine. We all get lost. Our vans break down. And the band have to go on stage the next night and do an acoustic set because we broke their amps. Ha, ha, ha.?

Of course, someone pointed out that we couldn?t actually do any of that because 80,000 people had bought tickets and the Who weren?t going to let them down just because three apes from a pokey motoring show on BBC2 wanted a laugh. So obviously we couldn?t get lost. And we couldn?t break their equipment and we couldn?t break down either.

Collective thinking, however, decided that it was still a great idea. And so it went on television. And it wasn?t.

what was the guests name on this episode? I wanna watch the bit were he makes fun of arnie. Or was that a prievious episode?

Steve Coogan was the guys name but that was on the previous episode.

Ringo Shells said:
..in a pink shirt!!! horrid looking thing, damn near blinded me!!
He also got very sweaty in it which wasnt too pleasant.

Just watching it again...

Jenson was pretty fast, only .1 away from Mansell. In the recent Sport Auto they retested a Cayman S against a Z4M Coupe, same as they tested for the previous issue (identical car with same tires, not worn) and the Caymen lost 1,2 sec around the small Hockenheim due to 20?C Temp change... If you argue a low tech car looses less, you still could give it a 0,3 secv advantage, which means STIG speed..

Just as a reminder.

hummmm... :(
I have not watched any Gear since I left the states two months ago. I finally received my things (via container ship) and only now will I get my computer going again.
Well, maybe not now, since I am in Portugal, which is known to be a bit slow in just about anything and everything.