[09x01] January 28th, 2007

Excellent episode. I reckon the new series (according of course to the trailers we've already seen) are gonna be the best ever. Welcome back Hamster. :D

sucked arse watching over a webcam, but still, holy shit. That was a complete rollercoaster ride of emotion.

I'm sure that next week will REALLY be the beginning of the series as we know it.

Does anyone know what that audience member said during the Hammond Crash segment that made Jeremy look so annoyed?

It was a pretty good show overall and I don't think it's just because we've been tortured with Fifth Gear in the autumn.

The roadworks was a pretty good piece of comedy, but I REALLY hope that they bring the news back. That's one of my favourite parts strangely enough.

I like the XKR segment, but it's a shame they didn't have a dry track and an even bigger shame that the the AMV8 Vantage didn't get a go around.

Still a great start to a highly anticipated series.

I liked the tarmac job, the playing of Werewolf's of London for motivation.

Also as an after thought when the show is closing and Hammond says never talk about the crash again. May says "What accident?" he sounds just like a really good friend after something dreadful has happened. I know that the studio stuff is scripted but that was the most sincere thing iv heard in a long time.

Last edited:
Very emotional ending, it is hard to not be moved by it.

I really liked the segment on the jag vs aston - top notch as always.

I do wish they would can the "skits" for a while and just stick to talking about exotic fast cars.

I dont know, I didn't enjoy the Aston and Jag that much. Jamie Oliver was alright and the Road Works wasn't bad. For Top Gear, id rate it 7.7/10. Still better than Fifth Gear I suppose (latest season). I can't wait for the few episodes over the coming weeks :D. For those who don't know, they're showing the season preview on www.bbc.co.uk/topgear.

James hair is looking different :O

Great episode, not the all time best, but still pretty good. It was all a bit overshadowed by Richard's crash, predictably. The news always makes a great episode excellent. The directing in the XKR v AMV8 was amazing, though!

Im sure someone has brought this up, but WHAT THE HECK WAS UP WITH JAME'S HAIR.
Longer yes, but I kinda like it. Doesn't look bad.

I cannot believe that no one noticed this yet but.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO TOP GEAR DOG?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Oh and I found the episode ok, but not the best. And James May looks like a girl. And I hope that 09x02 will have the season preview, news, and more cars and I agree with everyone that said to cut the "how hard can it be" segments because within 5 more episodes there will be probably two more.

Last edited:
hey everyone I'm new.........Just got into Top Gear, I've watched every episode over the past 2 weeks, I can pretty much get through the hard quiz on the top gear website. I personally think the episode was spot on given the cicumstances.....and I think the reason James's hair looked different was the fact that he looked a bit heavier and the poofy hair made him look bloated. But nevertheless good episode all arounds.

It's a good ep, although I wouldn't say it's great. What does road work have to do with testing cars? But the segment was funny, so it's alright. The XKR vs Vantage was good. The Vantage is obviously better looking, but I have to agree with Clarkson that the XKR is a better value, if only Jaguar would offer a manual trans with it, then it would be faster than the Vantage I think. The crash was cool, I'm glad to see Hammond back. From watching the runs before the crash, it looks pretty scary even when things are going right. Looking forward to next ep.

that was a great epi, is it just me or has jeremy gotten alot better at powersliding

and im not sure if you people care, but I think I can explain why James hasn't cut his very long hair...when you grow long hair you see it so much that you cant really see the difference over a long period of time, and it just goes into the back of your mind...but people who see you every few months or so(as we have) see it and go ...dude, wth cut yr hair...and you dont really want to, and maybe he's become somewhat attached to it:p ...but I hope the others notice and do make it a topic of ridicule:p

Great to have the show back.

For all the naysayers, compare this first episode to Fifth Gear's first episode this year. Need I say more?

Even though you know he crashed, they managed to build suspense in there.

Can't wait for next week.

Just watched it and I'm kind of feeling unforfilled. I was actually nervous and had goosebumps when I hit play. Felt really good to finally get some new TG. But I somehow expected MORE content.

Richard at times looked almost exhausted but seemed to have 95% of his personality intact. The Jag/AMV8 segment was a bit boring but not bad. The roadworks segment(s) were funny at times but felt a bit hacked together--maybe the editing on that one was the problem. I enjoyed the star in a reasonably priced car segment a little bit--quite cool to see snow on the TG track. And the crash footage segment had a good wholesome emotional feeling to it--until that punk yelled out something (inaudible to me), to COMPLETELY ruin the mood.

This definately was a crash special with some misc stuff thrown in to make a complete episode--but that isn't a BAD thing. It definately didn't seem scripted what-so-ever in any of the non Jaguar segments. The real good stuff is in the next 5 eps...and for that I can't wait. Even if you didn't like this ep it is still 1000% better than FG.