[09x03] February 11th, 2007

First off, I want to say that I am a huge fan of TopGear and I have seen every show at least twice.
I moved to the US a little over a year ago after having lived my whole life in The Netherlands. I now live in Orange, Texas (Southeast Texas) and attend a university in Beaumont.

I loved this episode, it was one of the best, if not the best. At the same time however, I couldn't help but think: "but this is not how it really is." I live here, have lived in The Netherlands and have been to the U.K. many times.
After watching the show most of you probably expect me to hate it here, but in contrast to what this episode may let you believe, I haven't been shot, I haven't been sued, and I actually like this place.
Most people are very friendly. Of course I don't like everyone, but do "y'all" like everyone? Sure, some people are not too knowledgeable about the world, but they also don't pretend to be. I challenge you to go out and ask an average person what the whole situation between Israel and the Palestinians is really about. I don't expect you to get many sensible answers, no matter where in the world you are.

The difference between the US and Europe is simply the media. The media here is rubbish, I'll give you that. Just look at the last couple of days. It's been about Anna Nicole Smith 24/7.

Many europeans like to call Americans ignorant, but isn't pure generalization the greatest sign of ignorance? That is what Jeremy and the gang did wrong in this episode. I was expecting them to point out some of the good things the US has to offer at the end of the show, as they so often do with the cars they review. But all we got was: "Don't go to America!" That's bullshit!

Paul

Honestly, the entire episode was rather funny.

I think Clarkson is a bit too narrow-minded in his views on America. I sometimes wonder if he does it merely for entertainment or that is how he really is.

People outside of the USA really do not understand what happened with Katrina and they probably never will. New Orleans has had the MOST corrupt city government for decades. It will never change.

But like chpsk8 said - the USA is expected to help out the rest of the world. Hell, when a big disaster hits outside the country, the various volunteer groups are first on the scene. Same thing with Katrina. But does the USA ever get help from other countries? FUCK NO! We don't see shit.

The whole episode was a parody. People that really believe that that is how America is are the idiots - not us. I live in the Southeast (Georgia) and it's really not that bad (aside from the heat). There are plenty of stupid people, but you see that anywhere you go. Hell, during my time in Europe I saw plenty of idiots.

I wouldn't mind one day meeting Clarkson and getting into a full-fledged debate with him and his anti-American views.

First off, I want to say that I am a huge fan of TopGear and I have seen every show at least twice.
I moved to the US a little over a year ago after having lived my whole life in The Netherlands. I now live in Orange, Texas (Southeast Texas) and attend a university in Beaumont.

I loved this episode, it was one of the best, if not the best. At the same time however, I couldn't help but think: "but this is not how it really is." I live here, have lived in The Netherlands and have been to the U.K. many times.
After watching the show most of you probably expect me to hate it here, but in contrast to what this episode may let you believe, I haven't been shot, I haven't been sued, and I actually like this place.
Most people are very friendly. Of course I don't like everyone, but do "y'all" like everyone? Sure, some people are not too knowledgeable about the world, but they also don't pretend to be. I challenge you to go out and ask an average person what the whole situation between Israel and the Palestinians is really about. I don't expect you to get many sensible answers, no matter where in the world you are.

The difference between the US and Europe is simply the media. The media here is rubbish, I'll give you that. Just look at the last couple of days. It's been about Anna Nicole Smith 24/7.

Many europeans like to call Americans ignorant, but isn't pure generalization the greatest sign of ignorance? That is what Jeremy and the gang did wrong in this episode. I was expecting them to point out some of the good things the US has to offer at the end of the show, as they so often do with the cars they review. But all we got was: "Don't go to America!" That's bullshit!

Paul
Thank you very much. Love to hear from the Europeans living in America.

Reading the first page of replies, it seems all the Brits bought into the stuff Top Gear said about us.

If I didn't have such a good sense of humor and couldn't take it all as pure satirical entertainment, I'd probably boycott Top Gear. Can't guarantee everyone is as good natured as I am, though.

@CapnNismo

The U.S. was offered help from many countries after Katrina, but refused most any help.

Just a note...

Really? I hadn't heard of ANY help. The only help I'd ever read/heard about was from our celebs. Thanks for clearing that up and correcting me, though.

I think the whole Katrina thing was totally FUBAR, though. It'll never be the way it once was.

I was just wondering, how long ago was this film made??

If you went back and watched 08x06, JC talks about the incident in this film during the star in a reasonably priced car segment which meant the film must have been made before last season

"They even shot their own sign, what are they going to do to us!?"
I almost fell off the chair at that.

Well, let's see...

I own a blue Camaro.
(http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/Other/camsde1.jpg if you're interested)
I own multiple firearms..
(http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/Other/SIGBush.jpg and http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/Other/falhipower.JPG if you're interested)

I must be a murderer or a redneck, according to this episode. Or both!!!
(Actually, I'm an IT contractor in California)

I really think that If you take an appropriate cross section of Americans you are going to have a seriously bad reaction to this episode. I still love it.

I hang around a wide variety of fora, including one where John McCain is considered a left-wing traitor to the Republican cause. The Youtube of this clip was linked to there, and they generally loved it too. You might be surprised. What they took exception to wasn't so much the portrayal of Alabamans (as they acknowledge that such persons exist, even if it was staged), but the concept of making such a portrayal and presenting it as a sort of 'holier-than-thou, everyone who lives down there is backwards' thing by deliberately going out and picking a fight (I am amused by the person who posted earlier saying that the station-owners were the ones looking for a fight!) which I believe is a reasonable position.

I don't know if this has been posted yet but I got the info on that gas station run by those inbreed hicks.

They must be taught a lesson.

Been nice knowing you. I'll lay dollars to cents that they're better armed than you are, and you're allowed shoot people who physically threaten you in this country. (And in some states, people who threaten your property, if that's what you had in mind). I have a feeling that if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Seems reasonable to me.

went to Colorado in the summer and stayed with old friends that had moved there and they all had their guns and loved em ridiculous and unneccessary..

Why?

I commuted to work today in a 340hp V8 convertible. It cost me a lot more money to buy than, say a Honda Accord hybrid. It also costs a lot more to run, both in terms of maintainance and fuel costs. Yet it's the sort of car that car connoiseurs will tip their hat to and say "nice car." If you want to look at it rationally, our love of fast/luxury cars is totally ridiculous and un-necessary. A Lada will do the exact same job of personal transport. So will the train and bus. At least I can make a rational argument in favour of the practical utility of a firearm in a country where lots of furry animals have large teeth and claws, or a country that is large enough that it can take over 15 minutes for the nearest policeman to respond to your emergency telephone call for a break-in.

If you don't understand the inherent appreciation and enjoyment that a fine firearm can give someone in the same manner as I presume you do a fine car, that's fine. Don't place your own opinions at the cost of ours, please. Say 'I don't see the appeal'. Don't say 'Ridiculous.'

I also have to wonder about the people suggesting San Francisco as a place for TG to visit as if it's the be-all and end-all of anti-south-Alabamism. Perhaps they haven't lived here that long, and don't have the correct perspective. Not too many years ago, San Francisco used to be arguably the jewel in the crown of the United States. Beautiful city, unspoiled architecture, low crime, pleasant atmosphere. Something negative has happened to San Francisco, and the Bay Area in general in the last fifteen or twenty years. It is no longer the beacon it used to be and has lost a lot of the unique character it used to have, instead picking up a number of the less glamarous attributes already displayed by some other East Coast cities.

I have concluded that the best things about California have nothing to do whatsoever with the people who inhabit it. Well, possibly excepting some of the restaurants: Nice mix of food around here. If it were all but deserted, this place would still be a wonder of environments, from snow to surf, sub-freezing temperatures in the mountains to 78 and sunny 11 months of the year on the South Coast, high desert and redwood forest, and no hurricanes. (I can handle the odd earthquake!). What poisons California is the people!

Me, I want to move to Texas, maybe on the Gulf Coast. My wife wants Oregon. I guess I can handle that too. Maybe I'm just misplaced, and want a nice simple life, where people are honest, you can leave your door unlocked, there's no hectic pace, and people stop trying to tell me what I can and can't do.

As for the episode, I found it mixed, like many others. There were moments where I laughed harder than I think I've ever laughed at a Top Gear show, notably the car shower and the cow. Disappointing they didn't go in the river with the 'gators, though. Could have been amusing. On the other hand, there were moments where I didn't as much as smirk. (Alabama was not one of those, I was laughing my ass off at that one whilst holding my head in my hand at the same time saying "No... I can't bear to watch). I know just how Hammond felt though, with in the truck driving long-distance, window down, shades on, just passing the miles. There's no feeling of liberty quite like it.

As for the Camaro, I agree with JC: My Camaro, as a car, is, frankly, horrible. But I just don't want to ever sell it. It has a certain character which a lot of 'better' cars just don't have, and would never trade it for, say, a new Honda or Toyota.

NTM

Last edited:
I was just wondering, how long ago was this film made??

If you went back and watched 08x06, JC talks about the incident in this film during the star in a reasonably priced car segment which meant the film must have been made before last season

Yeah I think they filmed it during the World Cup last summer because TG would not be shown during the games.

To be fair, they ask that because if you *do* turn out to be a Nazi/terrorist/whatever, they can just deport and bar you from the country without spending too much on a trial - or so I've heard.

I don't mind it that much. It just seems pointless. It shouldn't matter. I'm really too young, but lets say I had been doing some bad stuff in WWII. I would probably not say so on the form. It's like asking "Are you a murderer?" Whatever, it's just weird.

Anyway, I would also like to say that most Americans I know and have met are and have been very friendly. And in general there's a lot about the culture that I really like. Of course the US is a big place with different people. Even though some people from a lot of European countries seem to be ignorant of the cultural differences between the different areas of the US.

I don't mind it that much. It just seems pointless. It shouldn't matter. I'm really too young, but lets say I had been doing some bad stuff in WWII. I would probably not say so on the form. It's like asking "Are you a murderer?" Whatever, it's just weird.

I don't think I made it clear; they ask you so that if you *lie* on this form and then you turn out to be a Nazi/terrorist/whatever, they can deport and bar you from the country with one quick immigration fraud trial. I believe it's quicker and cheaper this way; also, they can probably do this even if they only *suspect* you've lied which helps if you don't have enough evidence for a proper trial.

Last edited:
Last edited:
i thought the episode was great .. actualy watched it a couple of times.. as for the guy who said he loved the american culture.. welll they really have no culture... let alone a history .. guys in asia and europe must be proud of their history and heritage.....

and hey alabama isnt all fo america ... there are really nice palces and reeeeeeeeeeealy nice ppl here... u guys shud come to chicago and mebbe stay at my place ... enjoy a cup of tea or coffee and mebbe will show u that america isnt jus gun bearing rednecks and ugly fat cheese eating fatsos

i thought the episode was great .. actualy watched it a couple of times.. as for the guy who said he loved the american culture.. welll they really have no culture... let alone a history .. guys in asia and europe must be proud of their history and heritage.....

I would take objection to that. America most certainly does have a culture, and I think there would be few who would dispute that it is fairly unique to America. It just does not have as long a history as European or Asian nations, at least as an identifiable country as it is today. (American Indians would certainly lay claim to a heritage as old as the Romans, if not older)

NTM

Paul

Texas is pretty much the friendliest and greatest part of America. US hating clarkson said it himself we're its heart. thats probably y they didn go cuz they wouldv'e been treated kindly, and with respect as we texans do(nobody say crap bout bush, hes FROM connecticut)

i nominate and second my own nomination for most ignorant statement in this thread. Not gunna go into a tangent about our culture cuz i have a menu planning project due but we sure as hell do have one.

Great episode.
I read through the first 10 or 11 pages of the thread, and I noticed several people commenting on where Jeremy would find a cow. Speaking from a very rural background (Kentucky, the state famous for horsepower of the mammalian type) farmers will frequently drag animals that die on a farm to the side of the road and call the dead-wagon for it. And no, not Monty Python style dead wagon either. You'll see horses, donkeys, all kinds of animals pulled up to the side of the road.

Regarding the people being so aggressive at the noted gas station, in the south you can very easily tell which locations, and which people, will react to certain "offenses" such as the ones they were decorated with. If I had to guess, a producer drove ahead to find a nice looking site for them to stop. The challenge obviously had them looking for trouble, it wouldn't have made good entertainment to have them drive through the state stopping at urban gas stations and never having troubles.

Sorry if this was stated in the 40 pages following the last one I read.

*Welcome, d_98se.You last visited: July 20th, 2004 at 11:37 PM*

^^

Looks like this episode has really brought out the roaches from the wood-work.

Been watching top gear ever since i saw an E39 M5 power-sliding around a track with Mr Tiff behind the wheel.

Am Kenyan and i've been in Atlanta, GA for a couple of year's. People around the cities are relatively okay but the further you venture into bumfcuk areas, the worse shit becomes. It's 2007 and there are places right here in Ga, that i will not go to comfortably and that says a lot.

This show was killer i've watched it 4 times in a row and it still feels short. TG cannot top this and am sure even Billy Bob W. knows this.

I had a dream last night. I was driving west bound on I-10, when all of a sudden a POS Camaro hauling ass in the eastbound lane appears with Clarkson strapped to the roof. On the side of the car was painted ?Cornwallis was a wig wearing poof?. I awoke with a strange urge to dump all of my tea into the Gulf of Mexico. I fired up my computer and watched the episode and had a good laugh again.:D

Don't know man, Texas looks marginally less "frigthening" than alabama to me, and kansas seems pretty relaxed

"MURDER RATES PER 100,000 PEOPLE (2005)

US states

North Dakota - 1.1
Maine - 1.4
Massachusetts - 2.7
Washington - 3.3
Colorado - 3.7
Kansas - 3.7
New York - 4.5
Florida - 5.0
Oklahoma - 5.3
Texas - 6.2
Georgia - 6.2
Arkansas - 6.7
California - 6.9
Missouri - 6.9
Mississippi - 7.3
Alabama - 8.2
Nevada - 8.5
Louisiana - 9.9
Maryland - 9.9
(US average - 4.5)

Damnit! I live in Maryland when I'm not at school... That's PG county for ya!

I can't believe this thread is still going strong. We have well over the number of posts than the Veyron has horsepower!